FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving New Member, New Foam Carving pics. . .
New Member, New Foam Carving pics. . .
IronDude in Clearwater

Posted: 2007-07-14 4:11 pm   Permalink

I found this site last week. . . then I found a huge bead foam block at the local dump Price: free. Here's what I did with it. As you can see, I cut it in 1/2 diagonally to make two blanks. Then I borrowed my wife's kitchen knives and carved something that kind looked like a Moai; 1/2 inspired by a tiki mug & 1/2 by Easter Island. I followed somebody's post and did the acetone drip, primer, "nearly black" exterior (w/Wagner power painter), and last a dark grey light finish coat. It may not be perfect, but my wife thinks I'm a genius. Go figure. The leftover blank may become an angry, arm-crossed Tiki man.

Q; Is this thing weatherproof?

View Profile of IronDude in Clearwater Send a personal message to IronDude in Clearwater  Email IronDude in Clearwater     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-14 4:37 pm   Permalink

Excellent job Iron Dude, Especially for your first tiki. Caan't wait to see the next piece. also I se the poles drawn out in the background, keep us posted. Your wife may be right.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-14 5:08 pm   Permalink

Brilliant! That is great! Free is the best. Let's see some more....

-G

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Savage Daddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-14 7:17 pm   Permalink

Nice tiki! The dump is a wonderful place. It always keeps me busy carving. One man's trash is another man's treasure.

View Profile of Savage Daddy Send a personal message to Savage Daddy  Email Savage Daddy Goto the website of Savage Daddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikidreams
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-15 09:27 am   Permalink

That must be a dream to just carve away in.
It turned out really good.

View Profile of tikidreams Send a personal message to tikidreams      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MauiTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-15 11:51 am   Permalink

Very Nice, Can't wait to see what you do with the other half.

View Profile of MauiTiki Send a personal message to MauiTiki  Email MauiTiki Goto the website of MauiTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-16 01:53 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-07-14 16:11, IronDude in Clearwater wrote:

That's a pretty impressive lava effect right there - you wouldn't know it wasn't stone until you reached out and touched it. I have dreams of a similar sized moai outside the door of my studio somehow...
Sweet carve!

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiLaLe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-16 05:29 am   Permalink

Ok, what's in the cup?

Nice work !

View Profile of TikiLaLe Send a personal message to TikiLaLe  Email TikiLaLe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
greentikipat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-27 8:08 pm   Permalink

hey Irondude- very cool moai! i'm sorry i can't remember what to coat it with, but you can make it VERY water/climate/elements/time proof. i'll find out what it is. a customer/friend of ours is supposedly holding on to a bunch of the stuff for me. and for the same reason! a giant moai. i'm jealeous. i'll come back and post what it is. cheers!!

View Profile of greentikipat Send a personal message to greentikipat  Email greentikipat Goto the website of greentikipat     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bohemiann
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-07-28 07:39 am   Permalink

Awesome! Recycling at its best. Is it me or is Florida suddenly exploding with new carvers. I have seen a huge jump in activity or maybe I'm just paying more attention these days. We should form guild or something.

View Profile of Bohemiann Send a personal message to Bohemiann  Email Bohemiann Goto the website of Bohemiann     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ChefMike
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-07-28 08:55 am   Permalink

Wow!! That is very cool!! Where can I get some foam??

View Profile of ChefMike Send a personal message to ChefMike      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-28 8:52 pm   Permalink

Nice carving mate

Quote:

On 2007-07-28 08:55, ChefMike wrote:
Wow!! That is very cool!! Where can I get some foam??

There's a recycled goods/industrial offcuts place here in Sydney, it caters specifically for artists. They sell massive foam blocks, Im keen to have a go at one. Greentikipat, love to know what is used to seal the foam for outdoors.

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Spaceboy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-07-30 8:23 pm   Permalink

Quote:

love to know what is used to seal the foam for outdoors.

I've been working a lot in foam recently, and I've found several products that can be used to coat it for various uses.

There are several products available at Lowes or Home Depot; pre-mixed concrete patch and stucco patch are two I've used. They are both fairly hard and weatherproof. You can also use dry stucco mix troweled on.

Also, here are some other things I've found. I've been told by a colleague that this Rosco product works well, but it's expensive, and you'll probably have to order it from a dealer:
http://www.rosco.com/us/scenic/foamcoat.asp

These I can't really say anything about since I've never used any of them:
http://www.sculpturalarts.com/
http://www.fxsupply.com/materials/foamcoat.html
http://www.aboyd.com/prodinfo.asp?number=HWF%20026
http://www.demandproducts.com/ent.html

View Profile of Spaceboy Send a personal message to Spaceboy  Email Spaceboy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Spaceboy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-07-30 8:44 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-07-14 16:11, IronDude in Clearwater wrote:
I followed somebody's post and did the acetone drip,

Your sculpture is very nice! It looks very much like lava rock.

I looked for a post about an acetone drip, but didn't find anything.
Are you saying you spattered acetone on your sculpture to make the small holes?

-Don

View Profile of Spaceboy Send a personal message to Spaceboy  Email Spaceboy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-07-30 8:47 pm   Permalink

Spaceboy show a picture of your foam moai.
It's awesome!
So is this one by the way.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation