FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events Forbidden Island Announces First Ever Tropical Appetizer Cookoff Sunday August 12th @ 3:00pm!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
Forbidden Island Announces First Ever Tropical Appetizer Cookoff Sunday August 12th @ 3:00pm!
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2007-08-13 2:36 pm   Permalink

Thanks to everyone who participated in the cookoff!!!

We had a terrific array of tasty tidbits and all for a good cause: We raised over $500 for Alameda Meals on Wheels!

Thanks so much to the entrants who wowed us with their culinary delights, as well as donating their time and chow. And thanks to the judges who had the tough task of tasting it all!

Anyway, it was good fun and the food was delicious. The winner was FI regulars Karl & Tamara with their Spicy Pulled Pork Stacks, served on plantain chips.

The recipe and pictures will follow shortly!

Mahalo all!

-martin

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Coco Loco
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-13 9:54 pm   Permalink

Thanks Martin, Mai Tai and I had a great time. I think the most fun was trying everyone else's appetizer at the end of the day. And spending several hours having cocktails together after the event. Much congratulations to 2nd and 3rd place winners too: Coconut Tofu (Aquararama team) and Famous Devil Eggs (sorry,can't remember TC name) respectively.

T&K's shredded pork and plantains were tasty! And the vegetarian version sounded tasty too. Look forward to the recipe. It's great that we raised money for a great cause. Much Maholos.

[ This Message was edited by: Coco Loco 2007-08-13 21:55 ]

View Profile of Coco Loco Send a personal message to Coco Loco      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aquaorama
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-14 11:22 am   Permalink

We had such an awesome time. It felt good to have a little compitition and help out a good cause. I got to meet the cool couple on one side of me with the cuban bread....Gotta love the domino design....on my other side were the Mai Tai wings....OMG....I could dip ANYTHING in that sauce.....Coco Loco was serving up yummy short ribs while modeling that awesome Disneyland dress! I so know people were snapping pics.....come on...I gotta see some!

[ This Message was edited by: aquaorama 2007-08-15 11:03 ]

View Profile of aquaorama Send a personal message to aquaorama      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Molokai Mike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-14 4:15 pm   Permalink

Here's some pics:

The winners...FI regulars Karl and Tamara

The winning appetizer - Spicy Pulled Pork Stacks, served on plantain chips.

The Jab was there too, sporting his Betty Crocker "I'm Chef" hat and some delicious Chicken Wings

Denise and Mai Tai pose with Coco Loco, who made scrumptious ribs wrapped in bacon
Note the wonderful "fruit Fugus"

All in all, a great time was had by all. Thanks for taking the time to enter and/ or Judge.
We're really happy to have raised over $500 for such a great cause.

View Profile of Molokai Mike Send a personal message to Molokai Mike  Email Molokai Mike Goto the website of Molokai Mike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JDobbs

Posted: 2007-08-14 6:54 pm   Permalink

Some of my poorly framed snaps.

The Silver Medalists.

That sauce was mighty tasty. I'm still waiting for the recipe.

Our meager entry.

A display for winning the Bronze.

Mmmm ribs.

Mmmm fruit fugu.

The rest are here. I'm figuring out this new camera, apologies in advance:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9833445@N08/sets/72157600705994497/

Anybody get a pic of me at our table? It didn't dawn on me to take one.
Had a great day all around. Thanks for puttin' this on. We were proud to rep the South Bay with all y'all.
We'll be back next year with more than four day notice so look out!

[ This Message was edited by: JDobbs 2007-08-14 18:59 ]

View Profile of JDobbs Send a personal message to JDobbs  Goto the website of JDobbs     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Molokai Mike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-14 11:48 pm   Permalink

Anybody get a pic of me at our table? It didn't dawn on me to take one.

[/quote]

Yup, here we go.
Great concept by the way...

View Profile of Molokai Mike Send a personal message to Molokai Mike  Email Molokai Mike Goto the website of Molokai Mike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mai Tai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-15 02:51 am   Permalink

Here are pics of all the entrants:

Tiki Central's The Jab, serving Native Drums

Karl and Tamara, serving Spicy Teriyaki Pulled Pork Stacks on fried plantains

Misoyaki Chicken Skewers

Oki Poke

Fred's Spicy Mai Tai Chicken Wings

Aquaorama and Yvette, serving Kapu Moko Mana

Cuba Domino

Devil's Own Devilled Eggs

Coco Loco, serving Niman Ranch Braised Short Ribs, Wrapped In Peppered Maple Bacon.

Here's a close up of our entry, complete with Fugu melon garnish.

I don't have everyone's names, nor can I remember exactly the neames of their dishes, but if Martin or someone else would PM those to me, I'll add them to this post. Good times were had by all! Cheers,
-Mai Tai

View Profile of Mai Tai Send a personal message to Mai Tai  Email Mai Tai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2007-08-15 10:21 am   Permalink

Here's more pictures and the winning recipe!

The Contenders:

1. Dean & Carrie - Native Drums

2. Karl & Tamara - Pulled Pork Stacks

3. Guy - Kapu Moko Mana

4. Jean - Misoyaki Chicken Skewers

5. Janis - Fred's Mai Tai Wings

6. Dina - Devil's Own Deviled Eggs

7. Maria - Braised Short Ribs with bacon

8. Marsha(!) - Ahi Tuna Poke

9. Sarah - Cuba Domino

Third Place: Devil's Own Deviled Eggs!

Second Place: Kapu Moko Mana!

First Place: Spicy Pulled Pork Stacks!

Glamorous spokesmodel Stephanie shows of the prize!

The Recipe!

Spicy Teriyaki Pulled Pork Plantain Stacks (a la Karl)
makes 35-40 pieces

This recipe takes place in two parts: first, the long, slow cooking of the pork, and then the last minute chop, fry, and plate. Good for a party where you want to put on a bit of a show and have time through the day to cook. If you don't need such large amount, cut the amount of plantains and garnish as needed. It's tough to find a pork shoulder smaller than 4lbs, but it's such a shame to have extra pulled pork to use in sandwiches or tacos.

Pulled Pork:
4-6 lb Pork Shoulder roast (AKA Boston Butt)
1/4 cup Chinese Five Spice
course salt
fresh ground pepper

Teriyaki Sauce:
1 cup low-sodium soy sauce
1 cup pineapple juice
1/4 cup hoisin sauce
3 tbsp rice wine vinegar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 fresh red chili, minced
2 garlic cloves, smashed (not chopped)
2-inch piece of ginger, peeled and cut into chunks

Fried Plantains:
4-6 plantains, sliced 1/8" to 1/4" thickness on a long diagonal
3 cups peanut oil

Condiments/garnish:
2 cups baby spinach, washed
1/4 cup chopped peanuts
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
1/4 cup scallions, chopped
1/4 cup sriracha chili sauce (really, just keep the bottle handy)

Preheat oven to 300 Fahrenheit. Rub the outside of the pork shoulder with five spice, salt, and pepper; then place the pork in a foil-lined pan. Pan in the oven, and let it cook until internal temperature reaches 170F (about two hours). Remove pork from the oven, wrap it completely with foil, and reduce the oven temperature to 250F. Put your newly wrapped pork shoulder back into the oven for another two hours. Once that's done, pull it out and let it rest for 10 minutes before doing anything else. Then, using two forks (or very heat-tolerant fingers), proceed to pull the pork apart until you have a pile of nicely shredded pork. Add your teriyaki sauce, toss the mixture, then cover with foil and put it back into a warm oven until needed.

While the pork is in the oven, it's the perfect time to make your teriyaki sauce and prep your condiments. Start by combining all of the teriyaki sauce ingredients in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir to combine and let it come to a boil. Once at a boil, reduce the heat a little but keep the sauce at a boil until you get to a nice, glaze-like consistency (it should coat the back a of a spoon). Strain the sauce into a bowl and reserve until pork is finished. Prep your cilantro and scallions, then keep them covered in the refrigerator until needed.

Pour the peanut oil into a pan, and bring to a medium heat. Fry the plantains in batches, draining them on paper towels and covering with foil to keep warm.

To assemble your stack, start with a plantain and top it with two leaves of spinach. Add a small forkful of pork and top it with your scallions, cilantro, and then the peanuts. Top it all off with a dot of chili sauce and serve (and if your guests like a little more heat, throw an extra shot of chili sauce between the spinach and pork).

[ This Message was edited by: martiki 2007-08-15 17:10 ]

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
monet2u
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-15 10:52 am   Permalink

That was fun! I'm going to have to submit a recipe next time for sure!

Thanks FI for a fun afternoon.

View Profile of monet2u Send a personal message to monet2u      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Glam
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-08-15 11:52 am   Permalink

That was a ton of fun and I'm glad my eggs were gobbled up! I had a blast chatting with all my neighbors! Thanks to all who posted pictures and I will post mine (from my funny little LOMO camera) as soon as I finish the roll...YES that's right, I said ROLL (as in FILM!)

-dina

View Profile of Tiki Glam Send a personal message to Tiki Glam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation