FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Travel Tips/advice/recommendations for 1st Hawaii visit WTD !
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Tips/advice/recommendations for 1st Hawaii visit WTD !
sushiman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-17 7:29 pm   Permalink

My Mom , sister Laurie and her 10 year old daughter , and my ( deceased ) brother's 10 year old were thinking about coming to Japan for a visit ( Ma and Sis have been here once before ) , but I think I've talked them into meeting in Hawaii instead , as none of us inc. my Japanese wife have ever been , and I'm sure the kids would have a heck of a lot better time there . A little too young to appreciate Japan in my opinion .

Anyway , since it would be our first trip , and we'd be staying for about a week , I'd like some recommendations with regards to where to go/stay and what to do/see .

Thinking about renting a vacation home for $ 300-400 a day and spending the week on the big island in Kona area .

Any advice/tips/recommendations would be appreciated .

Thanks in advance .

[ This Message was edited by: sushiman 2007-07-17 21:25 ]

[ This Message was edited by: sushiman 2007-07-17 21:26 ]

View Profile of sushiman Send a personal message to sushiman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WooHooWahine
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-07-17 9:44 pm   Permalink

According to the book, 1,000 Places You Should See Before You Die in the USA & Canada, written by Paticia Shultz, her suggestions for visiting Hawaii are the following:

*Hawaii Volcanoes National Park (Big Island, Hawaii)
*Hilo Farmers Marker (Hilo, Big Island, Hawaii)
*Merrie Monarch Hula Festival (Hilo, Big Island, Hawaii)
*Pu'Uhonua O Honaunau (Honaunau, Big Island , Hawaii)
*Historic Kailua-Kona (Big Island, Hawaii)
*Luau at Kona Village Resort (Big Island, Hawaii)
*Twilight at Kalahuipua'a (Big Island, Hawaii)
*Mauna Kea Resort (Big Island, Hawaii)
*Kona Coast (Big Island, Hawaii)
*Kona's Coffee Belt (Big Island, Hawaii)
*The Mauna Kea Summit (Big Island, Hawaii)
*Kealakekua Bay (Big Island, Hawaii)
*Parker Ranch (Big Island, Hawaii)
*Waipi'o Valley (Big Island, Hawaii)
*Hanalei & Princeville Resort (Kauai, Hawaii)
*Kauai By Helicopter (Kauai, Hawaii)
*The Na Pali Coast (Kauai, Hawaii)
*Po'ipu Beach (Kauai, Hawaii)
*Waimea Canyon and Waimea Town (Kauai, Hawaii)
*The Lana'i Coast (Lana'i, Hawaii)
*The Lodge at Ko'ele & Lana'i City (Lana'i, Hawaii)
*Hana Highway (Maui, Hawaii)
*Hana Village (Maui, Hawaii)
*Humpback Whale National Marine Sanctuary (Maui, Hawaii)
*Kapalua Resort (Maui, Hawaii)
*Lahaina (Maui, Hawaii)
*Old Lahaina Luau (Maui, Hawaii)
*Molokini (Maui, Hawaii)
*The Friendly Isla of Molikai (Hawaii)
*Bishop Museum (O'ahu, Hawaii)
*Diamond Head ( O'ahu, Hawaii)
*Hanauma Bay (O'ahu, Hawaii)
*Historic Honolulu (O'ahu, Hawaii)
*Honolulu's Chinatown (O'ahu, Hawaii)
*Waikiki Beach (O'ahu, Hawaii)
*Polynesian Cultural Center (O'ahu, Hawaii)
*The North Shore (O'ahu, Hawaii)
*Pearl Harbor (O'ahu, Hawaii)

View Profile of WooHooWahine Send a personal message to WooHooWahine  Email WooHooWahine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-17 10:53 pm   Permalink

Way to bring it, WooHooWahine.

I stayed in the Kona area last year and loved it. It shows Hawaii as it may have been in decades past. The volcanic rock is amazing against the blue ocean.

Place of Refuge and the Black Sand Beach make for an excellent day trip.
There is a very good flea market.
Of course, save plenty of time for dinning at Don the Beachcomber.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sushiman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-18 02:26 am   Permalink

Thanks for your advice / info . I'm psyched already ! Go !

View Profile of sushiman Send a personal message to sushiman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
54 house of bamboo
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2007-07-18 04:32 am   Permalink

We went for our first trip to the Islands last year and spent a paltry 4 days each on Hawaii, Oahu and Kauai.

It was Hawaii that we loved best.

We stayed at the Kona Tiki Hotel which was cheaper, small, local and low-rise - and walking distance to Don's was its distinct advantage! It was a lodging tip from TC that was spot on.

Enjoy your visit.

The Stevenson Wedding Mug by Cheekytiki, 2006

View Profile of 54 house of bamboo Send a personal message to 54 house of bamboo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-18 07:09 am   Permalink

Watch out for the turtles at Black Sand Beach.

They seem to get in your way when you're trying

to see the other fish!!!

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sushiman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-18 3:35 pm   Permalink

Kona Tiki Hotel looks cool ( checked their site ) . I think we'll probably just spend the entire week on Hawaii and take it slow . Since there may be 6 , possibly even 7 people going , I'm thinking that renting a house with a nice ocean/sunset view for $ 250-300 a day would be the way to go . We'll rent a car , of course .

[ This Message was edited by: sushiman 2007-07-18 16:34 ]

Rum Balls
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2007-07-19 07:38 am   Permalink

Make sure you get up to the volcano national park

View Profile of Rum Balls Send a personal message to Rum Balls      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-19 09:44 am   Permalink

Hawaii Vacation Tips

Great Minds Drink Alike

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sushiman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-19 4:56 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-07-19 07:38, Rum Balls wrote:
Make sure you get up to the volcano national park

It's on the list - thanks !

weirduncletiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-21 12:52 pm   Permalink

Aloha Sushiman

Have a look at the above "Hawaiian Vacation TIps" thread. Good stuff! Also, when you get back, be sure to post in that thread any tips you've discovered to help out us future travelers. Have a blast!

-Weird Unc

View Profile of weirduncletiki Send a personal message to weirduncletiki  Email weirduncletiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AllisonV
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-07-24 7:52 pm   Permalink

Random stuff re: the Big Island

Absolutely rent a house! I have had great luck with vrbo.com, try there.

I second Place of Refuge, the black sand beach, and the Hilo Farmer's market. Driving to Hilo and back from the Kona area makes for a loooong but fully do-able day. You can now drive over Saddle Road (improvements have been made, old guidebooks will tell you you can't), it looks like the moon up there.

Also drive up the Kohala coast for great beaches and some fascinating, intense archaeological sites. Also on the Hilo side, Akaka falls and Rainbow falls are beautiful.

my favorite things on the big island, hands down, are Waipio Valley and Pololu valley. The hike up and down into Waipio might be more than your kids can do, it's super-steep but worth every step. Pololu valley is an easier climb, a trail with steps and switch-backs. I heard that it was damaged in the most recent large earthquake, though, so check on that.

Waimea, a smaller town that you will pass through going from Kona to Hilo, is nice. I remember really liking a mexican joint there called Tako Taco. 24 hour Ken's house of Pancakes in Hilo is also pretty good and will be great for kids/families. If you rent a house, though, hit the farmer's markets (there is one in Kona, too, in like a church parking lot on Alii drive) and cook cook cook! I still think about the tropical salsa I made last time. Pahoa is another cute smaller town, the hot springs beach there was really crowded, though, and kind-of gross - the water was covered with an oil slick of sweat and sunscreen greaze. The tsunami museum in Hilo was fascinating and would be a good rainy-day activity.

I'm sorry I don't have books or maps handy to get more detailed information. Let me know if you have any questions or want to see my photos.

View Profile of AllisonV Send a personal message to AllisonV      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-27 2:42 pm   Permalink

The Big Island is so different from the other islands. Things move slower - and they call it the Big Island for a reason.

Day trips can be much longer (driving time) than on some of the other islands. And you may only be going 50 miles but you will average 35 miles per hour if the traffic is moderate.

The beaches are great but they are more removed from the roads than on some of the other islands. You have to sort of plan if you are wanting to stop on your day trips to go for a swim.

Both Kona and Hilo are fun places to explore but they are rather small - still great sites to see.

Catch the outrigger boat racing (if they are doing it) in the Kona harbor on Saturday mornings. Great place to swim and watch the boats:

and a beautiful sunset on the coast about 20 miles north of Kona:

I did my daily exercise routine at that cove and had one of the best "feeling" workouts and runs of my life.

Oh, there is a "resort" somewhere along the Kohola Coast that is an old hawaiian village themed affair. There are separate "huts" that people stay in and a large central dining hall and socializing area. Only rustic in design but not comfort.

Shelley (Shell in the Pacific), her friend Blakeley and I found it by accident when there a couple of years ago. We did not have our cameras at the time and I tried to google it but could not find the name. Does anybody know the place I am talking about? Will look more and see if I can find it. It was a great place to see.

Balmy regards,

Tiki Bob

[ This Message was edited by: tikibob 2007-07-27 14:43 ]

[ This Message was edited by: tikibob 2007-07-27 14:45 ]

View Profile of tikibob Send a personal message to tikibob  Email tikibob Goto the website of tikibob     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sushiman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-27 8:23 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-07-24 19:52, AllisonV wrote:
Random stuff re: the Big Island

Absolutely rent a house! I have had great luck with vrbo.com, try there.

I'm sorry I don't have books or maps handy to get more detailed information. Let me know if you have any questions or want to see my photos.

Thanks for the vrbo.com suggestion . We found a house via that site that we are seriously considering . What do you think ?

http://www.vrbo.com/112751

sushiman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-27 8:24 pm   Permalink

Thanks for your info and pics Tikibob !

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation