FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Wan Q, Los Angeles, CA (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Wan Q, Los Angeles, CA (restaurant)
tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2009-06-04 11:30 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-06-04 11:15, Tiki-Kate wrote:
My Wan Q menu is more like the matchbook.

Kate, I'm jealous....can you plase post pics of the entire menu ? pleeeeeeze ?

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-04 12:07 pm   Permalink

Here you go. It's awfully hard to get good pictures without a scanner. And yes, it's all held together by tape.

Just for you, Jim. Please enjoy Wan Q's Tropi-cocktails...

And their famed Polynesian and Cantonese dinners...

As well as Wan Q's inimitable dishes.

I don't think they really wanted anyone to order anything off of the back of the menu.

View Profile of Tiki-Kate Send a personal message to Tiki-Kate  Goto the website of Tiki-Kate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2009-06-04 1:08 pm   Permalink

Thanx Kate !
Wow, this menu has all the classic Tiki Menu Graphic items. I especuially love the drink menu section with that great tiki torch, and skull. Good stuff.

Where, ever did you find this ?

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-20 1:16 pm   Permalink

Quote:

Do the current menus have any resemblance?

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Joe Banks
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-11 11:11 am   Permalink

Torches....unlit for decades.

An anchor we discovered, hidden behind some overgrown weeds on the back patio.

View Profile of Joe Banks Send a personal message to Joe Banks  Email Joe Banks Goto the website of Joe Banks     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tobunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-11 12:00 pm   Permalink

Mahalo Scott fer posting pix of out tiki adventure last night!

Here's what went down:

Scott, Manuel and I went to see the Art of the Pacific Collection at LACMA, and afterwards, we went to dinner at Fu's Palace, formerly Wan Q, where we discovered something neat!

Scott was already snapping photos when we arrived, and he pointed out something we had not noticed the last time we were there: right at the pinnacle of the main A-frame, over the front entrance, were two tiki torches! We were amazed! I don't recall anyone pointing out those torches before.

We went inside and checked out the big stone fountain, vainly searching for some leftover scrap of tiki, but to no avail.

Then, we were seated, and within moments, a table nearby had a huge flaming shell bowl delivered to them. Whoa! A Scorpion bowl! We missed that last time were were there, too!

Or feisty server came to take our order and we immediately requested one of the flaming bowls.

The menu had a PuPu Platter and... Rumaki! This place was getting tikier by the minute!

So Scott had the Rumaki as an appetizer, along with the scorpion bowl... in Wan Q (for all intents and purposes)... so Tiki of him!

During our meal, we asked several staff members about the torches, and the had no idea they even existed.

There is a back patio at the restaurant, and while we were eating, Manuel casually mentioned that he saw a couple of anchors hidden behind the palm trees. Scott's and my tiki radar instantly registered a potential tiki unearthing. After dinner, he hurried out back, and sure enough, there were two gigantic anchors. One was leaning against the back fence, mostly blocked from view by a patch of ferns. The other was against the ground, overgrown with a thick thatch of grasses, the only part uncovered was the top, but it was unmistakably an anchor.

We were surprised and excited! An anchor has no place in a Chinese restaurant, but EVERY place in a Tiki restaurant! Manuel most likely discovered some of the last existing remnants of Wan-Q!

Speaking of tiki remnants, sadly we discovered that the pier-pylon-like pieces of wood that adorned the outside of the restaurant have been removed, making it less tiki on the exterior. However, similar pylons can be seen holding up the Fu's Palace parking lot sign behind the restaurant, which must have been the Wan Q parking lot in it's day.

All in all, an exciting night!

http://ericoctober.com

View Profile of tobunga Send a personal message to tobunga  Email tobunga Goto the website of tobunga     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Joe Banks
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-11 12:12 pm   Permalink

View Profile of Joe Banks Send a personal message to Joe Banks  Email Joe Banks Goto the website of Joe Banks     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tobunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-11 4:42 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-04-20 13:16, christiki295 wrote:
Quote:

Do the current menus have any resemblance?

Hey Christiki295... that last pic Scott posted should answer your question.

The menus are dark green, with gold lettering and Chinese characters on the front, nothing remotely tiki about them. Even in the layout inside, which doesn't even list tropical drinks!

View Profile of tobunga Send a personal message to tobunga  Email tobunga Goto the website of tobunga     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MCharles

Posted: 2011-10-05 3:54 pm   Permalink

Wan-Q was a long time family favorite, and when my father was a young attorney just starting out, he was contacted by a restaurant owner who had just opened his restaurant, and who reported the landlord, after having 9 failed restaurant tenants, was harassing him for more money. My father then helped him and stopped the landlord. We used to go there, and Benny would try and comp the dinner. My father always refused, and said if Benny wanted to do something, cook a dish for us. The almond duck, which Benny cooked, was like no other.

We started eating there in the early 1950's, when Wan-Q was a single room, and continued going there as it expanded. I remember how proud Benny was of the additional rooms and the waterfalls, and how he had tried to depict his memories of China landscapes (which I don't think he ever returned to visit). I can remember as a child going through the bar (with all the waterfalls) and being transported far away from West LA.

The Chinese chicken salad (jar du gai) was also better than anything I have had (the recipe ultimately appeared in the LA Times) and was seemingly similar to the New China Moon recipe in old Chinatown. I can remember it coming on a dish, covered by a metal cover, pressed into a mound, with snow peas and shredded chicken covering the lettuce.

Many of the items (highly exotic by 1950's and 1960's standards) are now recognizable as such dim sum staples as har gow, sui mei). The egg rolls and foil chicken are still some of the best I have had.

Benny and his wife Maime were always gracious hosts, and their tradition continued with their children. This style of restaurant, with the obvious pride in operating, is sorely missed.

View Profile of MCharles Send a personal message to MCharles      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Joe Banks
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-05 5:49 pm   Permalink

Aloha MCharles! Welcome to Tiki Central!

Thank you for the fine memories of Wan-Q.

hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-07 9:37 pm   Permalink

I was looking for some stuff and happened to find these pictures on this site called onbunkerhill.org.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2012-11-07 9:58 pm   Permalink

Nice work Hiltiki!

Thanks

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Central Poet Laureate

Posted: 2012-12-02 9:24 pm   Permalink

Including the restaurant's incarnation as the Sugar Shack, since the angle of the photo matches pretty well with the photo Hiltiki posted above.

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-02 9:45 pm   Permalink

A great "sign of the times". When the name change happened, the concept was already somewhat dated, too

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sugar_Shack

With that name, I always imagine a Chinese proprietor with sideburns and bell bottoms talking in "Hey Baby, you're groovy!" lingo.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTie
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-03 07:17 am   Permalink

The Kon Tiki in Tucson had a great success with "Relight the Night" when they turned their torches back on after years of them being off. http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=34980&forum=4&hilite=relight%20the%20night

They had a custom mug made, fire dancers, and other shenanigans. Maybe the Wan Q could do something similar?

View Profile of TikiTie Send a personal message to TikiTie      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation