FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Wan Q, Los Angeles, CA (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
Wan Q, Los Angeles, CA (restaurant)
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2012-12-03 6:53 pm   Permalink

TikiTie, the sign is gone and as you can see from page 1 and below, the Wan Q is now Fu's Palace.

Great idea to revive the sign if it actually still existed and what the Tucson Kon Tiki did was fantastic!

It would be great to know who did the Wan Q sign though, as Bigbro and Kiara had pointed out in this
thread it's very similar in style to Malibu's Tonga Lei sign R.I.P. I like their clunkiness.

In fact I'm going to call them... Sister Signs!

Don't try to stop me!

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
1961surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-06 4:19 pm   Permalink

Charles Phoenix posted a nice image from one of his slides or postcards on Facebook today that is a little more colorful and vivid then any of the other images I have seen on this thread .

View Profile of 1961surf Send a personal message to 1961surf  Email 1961surf Goto the website of 1961surf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-06 4:39 pm   Permalink

That's because Charles knows how to crank up the colors on old faded photos :

Before (previous page):

After:

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-06 4:48 pm   Permalink

Photoshop baby!

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-03-06 4:52 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: GROG 2013-03-06 17:06 ]

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-06 5:01 pm   Permalink

Just simple I-photo saturation and warmth. CHARLES knows how to crank up the colors - GROG does not!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-06 5:20 pm   Permalink

Groovy Grog - those are definite SUGAR SHACK colors!

Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-06 5:51 pm   Permalink

Classic 1960s Scene....

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-06 11:23 pm   Permalink

In its glory days, Wan Q had an incredibly happening bar scene. I frequented it in the late 80s , when it retained its amazing faux tropical interior.
The times we had.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-24 10:16 am   Permalink

Saw this take out menu with a B & W version of the menu rendering. A classic. Reminds us all to appreciate what we still got.

This really needs to be one of Eric October's Tiki by Moonlight renderings!

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tobunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-19 5:36 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-03-24 10:16, Dustycajun wrote:
Saw this take out menu with a B & W version of the menu rendering. A classic. Reminds us all to appreciate what we still got.

This really needs to be one of Eric October's Tiki by Moonlight renderings!

DC

Hey Dusty!

I was just looking at this drawing and noticed there's a Tiki Torch in front of the tiki's face on the sign, and that made me think "Hey, that would make a great black paper drawing... and then I scrolled down and saw the last bit of your post!

So yeah, I'll probably do a drawing... just wondering if there really was a torch in that spot... there's a bit of bamboo in the photos running up in front of the tiki, but the top of the bamboo goes out of frame in all of the photos... ah well, I'll probably draw it as a lit torch, extending up above the tiki sign!

http://ericoctober.com

View Profile of tobunga Send a personal message to tobunga  Email tobunga Goto the website of tobunga     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-19 6:23 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-04-19 17:36, tobunga wrote:

So yeah, I'll probably do a drawing... just wondering if there really was a torch in that spot... there's a bit of bamboo in the photos running up in front of the tiki, but the top of the bamboo goes out of frame in all of the photos... ah well, I'll probably draw it as a lit torch, extending up above the tiki sign!

A torch lit in front of the Tiki indeed Tobunga, as seen on the menu cover from Tiki Kate.

This one was made for your artistic talents!

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation