FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Backyard Tiki Hut - Deck finished! Pg. 3
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Backyard Tiki Hut - Deck finished! Pg. 3
ualpow
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-07-20 6:15 pm   Permalink

That is awesome use of that corner. Your attention to detail is what really sets this "hut" apart,it looks very authentic. You have inspired me get moving on the rope and carvings to the posts on my own "hut".

View Profile of ualpow Send a personal message to ualpow      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiPhil
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-25 2:06 pm   Permalink

Great Job! Keep the pictures coming. I'm really interested in how your faux boulders turn out.

View Profile of TikiPhil Send a personal message to TikiPhil      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMike
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-07-25 6:48 pm   Permalink

I've made some progress on the fake boulders. Let me know if you have any questions on the process!

I started by covering the piles of old bricks & rubble with concrete

Next, I covered the surface with a mortar mix (I used Quikrete "Pro Finish"). This is where I shaped the boulder using a scredriver for cracks. I also pushed real rocks into the surface to create ridges and textures. I sprinked off white and charcoal color hardener to create a speckled effect.

Next, I rubbed on an off white color-hardener mixed with water. I just loosely rubbed the surface with my hand to hit the high points.

Now the same process with a terra cotta color

Now a tan color

Next, I used a liquid color tint mixed with water to create a color wash. This color is "buff", basically a red/orange. I just splatterd it on with a paintbrush.

Next was the same liquid wash process using a charcoal color. I did this in several applications to keep them from getting too dark too fast. This step knocks down some of the color and accentuates the cracks and textures.

Finally, I used a "natural look" (no gloss) acrylic sealer on all of the boulders. Now I need to get some plants in there!

View Profile of TikiMike Send a personal message to TikiMike  Email TikiMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
frostiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-26 06:43 am   Permalink

Wow, that's a lott of steps. The boulders look great. Oh yeah that othere thing turned out ok to. I guess if your into cool places to hang out and enjoy a Mai Tai.

View Profile of frostiki Send a personal message to frostiki  Email frostiki Goto the website of frostiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Vinman
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-07-29 11:01 am   Permalink

Great job on the rocks, the texture, paint and weathering look awesome. My wife and I took a class here in Riverside that covered some of the same techniques and I hope to employ them around our pool soon. What kind of router did you use to do the patterns on the hut posts? Keep the pics coming, you are doing a fantastic job.

View Profile of Vinman Send a personal message to Vinman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Hunter
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-07-29 1:10 pm   Permalink

TikiMike, Looks great! Give us an update when you make more progress.

View Profile of Rum Hunter Send a personal message to Rum Hunter      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Atari
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-06 7:29 pm   Permalink

Gorgeous!
Do you have more pics of how it continued to evolve?

View Profile of Tiki-Atari Send a personal message to Tiki-Atari  Goto the website of Tiki-Atari     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Howland
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-07 7:20 pm   Permalink

Nice going! Looks vaguely familiar.

The Curse of Howland Island

View Profile of Howland Send a personal message to Howland  Email Howland     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMike
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-08-08 08:53 am   Permalink

Haha... yes, thanks for the idea surf-n-turf! This pattern turned out great on your project, so I had to give it a try!

View Profile of TikiMike Send a personal message to TikiMike  Email TikiMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Zen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-08 2:11 pm   Permalink

I'm about to start building my bar, so hurry up and post some photos of yours - I need inspiration.

View Profile of Tiki Zen Send a personal message to Tiki Zen      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cheeky half
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-08 2:42 pm   Permalink

We're definitely getting thirstier......

View Profile of cheeky half Send a personal message to cheeky half  Goto the website of cheeky half     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
EdsGoneTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-08-11 10:28 pm   Permalink

Fantastic job on the Hut! It looks very well built, love the routered posts!
And as a fellow Tucsonan, would love to help you christen it too!

I've been planning a hut of my own (don't we all!) and although it will have four posts,
you've given me some great ideas and inspired me to get moving on it. Thanks!!
And once you get your waterfall built--and pond I assume--I could help you out with some plants from mine!
Aloha, Ed!

View Profile of EdsGoneTiki Send a personal message to EdsGoneTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
diesel tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-08-19 09:53 am   Permalink

Did you burn the carvings or did the definition come from the stain itself? It looks awesome and I want to try it!

View Profile of diesel tiki Send a personal message to diesel tiki  Email diesel tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMike
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-08-20 10:22 am   Permalink

I actually just used a router with a V-groove bit. The stain was darker in the grooves which helped give some definition. Also I used a satin varnish, so the reflected light from the edges really helps define the patterns.

Update: I finished all of the electrical wiring for the lights, so I'll be posting some night photos pretty soon. Also, work has begun on the waterfall for the back corner. I'm snapping progress photos and should be posting some this week. We've been having wet weather and I've had a multitude of house guests recently, so progress has been kind of slow lately.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

harro
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-21 4:46 pm   Permalink

Brilliant use of the space, and great how-to posts. Can't wait to see how its looking.

I'll be coming back to this thread if and when I ever get to build my own dream bar.

Keep the progress posts coming!!

View Profile of harro Send a personal message to harro  Email harro     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation