FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food I want to make okolehao - need ti roots!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
I want to make okolehao - need ti roots!
Okolehao
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-31 10:21 am   Permalink

I contacted half a dozen vendors on eBay that sell Ti plants and I did get back one vendor who is willing to sell me Ti roots. We're just negotiating a price - he's never had anyone who just wanted the roots. What's the street price of oke?

Classic Velvets
by Song Shen

View Profile of Okolehao Send a personal message to Okolehao  Goto the website of Okolehao     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chrisc
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-08-02 03:00 am   Permalink

Have you considered freeze-distilling?
It's much easier than pot-distilling. You just leave your
fermented mash in a plastic container in the freezer overnight.
In the morning, all the water will have frozen, leaving you with the alcohol. Not very good grade alcohol: it will tend to give you a hangover if you drink a lot of it, but remember, we just want an ingredient to be used in small quantities to add an authentic flavour to cocktails, don't we?
Here's a link:

http://homedistiller.org/notstill.htm

I "still" think I'll use the tincture approach myself, though.

CHRIS

View Profile of Chrisc Send a personal message to Chrisc  Goto the website of Chrisc     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Okolehao
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-02 11:25 am   Permalink

The freeze method seems like a good idea for a first run. I've read up on it and though it won't bring the alcohol content up to a good reflux still, it sure is cheaper and easier.

One of the problems with freezing is that some of the alcohol gets locked up in the water crystals. There are different methods of mitigating some of that, like using a bubbler while its freezing to put air spaces in the ice for the alcohol to percipitate into. I'm going to try putting my mash in an electric ice cream maker, essentially making a Slushie, and then drain off the excess liquid. We'll see how that works.

Classic Velvets
by Song Shen

View Profile of Okolehao Send a personal message to Okolehao  Goto the website of Okolehao     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Okolehao
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-07 8:32 pm   Permalink

Well I made my first batch of hooch from my sugar and sweet potato recipe. I filtered it through two coffee filters, then distilled it using a tea kettle, rubber stopper, meat thermometer, and copper tubing. I've got to tell you, it's the best tasting 80 proof carburetor cleaner I've ever had! Kind of like rubbing alcohol mixed with vulcanized rubber, with just a hint of brown sugar.

Two things I've learned. a) I can make moonshine at home with simple tools and b)I shouldn't make moonshine at home with simple tools.

I see now why people use actual recipes and real copper stills to make this stuff. But if I can get my Ti root, I'll spend the money on real equipment and you just wait. There WILL be authentic okolehao!

Classic Velvets
by Song Shen

Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-08 06:39 am   Permalink

Or, instead of copper, you can get chemistry tools for this. A chamber that has a tube running through it and you run water through the chamber and it makes the condensation faster. I forget what it is called. Copper will do too. Metal cools very quickly. Although, the price of copper these days, the chemistry set up may be feasible.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Okolehao
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-08 8:50 pm   Permalink

I may have struck pay dirt. My Hawaiian Ti plant supplier from Maui is on The Big Island this week and is searching for a okolehao recipe through his contacts on the island. If he can find the real thing, I'm going to be in seventh heaven. This would be like finding the Holy Grail for me.

Classic Velvets
by Song Shen

Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-09 06:05 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-08-08 20:50, Okolehao wrote:
I may have struck pay dirt. My Hawaiian Ti plant supplier from Maui is on The Big Island this week and is searching for a okolehao recipe through his contacts on the island. If he can find the real thing, I'm going to be in seventh heaven. This would be like finding the Holy Grail for me.

Very cool. I have a few ounces of vintage stuff. One day when you think you have it right, we'll taste test.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
professahhummingflowah
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-10 01:19 am   Permalink

I can't help with the hunt for ti roots (does it matter... green ti plants, or red ones?), since there are major restrictions on sending plants/ag to the Mainland from Hawaii, but I sure can further your internet reading on Okolehao.

Here's a court case that deals with okolehao production -- and distrbution -- within the State of Hawai`i:

http://supreme.justia.com/us/468/263/case.html

And the lyrics to Don Ho's song:
http://www.huapala.org/O/Okolehao.html

View Profile of professahhummingflowah Send a personal message to professahhummingflowah  Email professahhummingflowah Goto the website of professahhummingflowah     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-07 12:37 pm   Permalink

CHONGOLIO!
Send me some Ti roots!

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Okolehao
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-24 10:10 pm   Permalink

Wow - I can't believe I'm back at a thread that I started in 2007 but . . .

I got to reminiscing about my oko project and remembered that a couple of locals went thru the enormous paperwork and legal hoops to distill and market a true moonshine.
http://candcshine.com/
Yesterday I called and had a nice phone conversation with the owner and pitched the idea of trying a small batch of okolehao. He'd never heard of the stuff but 15 seconds into the conversation I knew this was a professional because he threw so much chemistry, physics, and experience talk at me it made my head spin. So particular is he about his shine that he's been trying to find a source for true cane sugar ( first pressing of the cane juice, I think)which I told him was something supposedly important to okolehao. He's very intrigued with the idea and there seems to be some kind of alignment of stars going on. He's going to Alameda for a conference on brandy making this next week which is interesting because oko is supposedly similar to brandy. Also, Forbidden Island is in Alameda! I told him to drop in and talk to the bar tenders there because if any bar would know about okolehao, it'd be F.I. He said if he was to try making a batch he wants to be able to taste some of the real stuff that's still around, but I told him that's like asking people to part with their gold. But then again, I imagine there are a few of you who have a stash they'd let a pro sample if in return a fresh batch could be made by the gallon.

But I still have the same problem I started with. I NEED TI ROOT!!! Someone who goes to or lives in Hawaii, get me da root! I need da root!!

Classic Velvet Paintings by Song Shen

[ This Message was edited by: Okolehao 2009-03-24 22:16 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Okolehao 2009-03-25 08:16 ]

tikiauction
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-27 4:00 pm   Permalink

I must admit i am fascinated by this thread even though i will never attempt to make this myself (hear that atf? )

If you ever find historical accounts would you please pm me? This needs to be on the wiki.

View Profile of tikiauction Send a personal message to tikiauction  Goto the website of tikiauction     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TorchGuy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-28 01:50 am   Permalink

What Swanky refers to is a condenser, made of glass: a tube for the liquid to flow through, with an outer jacket which carries the coolant. Essentially, the liquid is boiled in a flask, and the vapor enters the downward-angled condenser and is cooled to liquid form again. The best, probably, is the Graham condenser, which is fairly wide and uses a coiled inner tube for maximum surface area contact with the coolant - scientific supply stores may have this along with other laboratory glassware. I knew, though, that I had seen a nice home distilling apparatus in a catalog, so after some Google-Fu, I found it:

http://www.wineenthusiast.com/miniature-distilling-machine.asp

A tiny tabletop still, using (what I assume to be) Pyrex, but some brand of 'hard' glass either way. It has a tiny Erlenmeyer-type flask, and a simplified Graham condensor which has an outer vessel that simply holds a nonmoving coolant, probably ice water. A spirit lamp for heat, and you're ready to make tiny batches of home liquor, though this implies distilling wine or fruit juices to make brandies and cordials. Still cool, though, and it piques my interest as I have a weakness for interesting glass apparati.

View Profile of TorchGuy Send a personal message to TorchGuy  Email TorchGuy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-03-28 12:16 pm   Permalink

Oko, I read this topic with interest several months ago - glad to see you're "still" working on it (pun intended)

Good Luck!!!

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-29 09:39 am   Permalink

If anyone is seriously thinking about distilling, you might want to pick up a couple of old distilling books that were recently reprinted.

http://www.raudins.com/BrewBooks/default.htm

I bought some of the brewing books from him.

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bananabobs
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-30 03:56 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-03-24 22:10, Okolehao wrote:
Wow - I can't believe I'm back at a thread that I started in 2007 but . . .

But I still have the same problem I started with. I NEED TI ROOT!!! Someone who goes to or lives in Hawaii, get me da root! I need da root!!

I can't imagine that you will find root cheap enough to justify making mash and I know Ti will not grow well for you in Monterey, so making you own source is out. I have been trying to find a good source for years as a grower, if you get one, share the wealth.

View Profile of bananabobs Send a personal message to bananabobs      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation