FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » How should I handle mug thieves?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
How should I handle mug thieves?
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-30 11:26 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-07-30 10:41, gordon58 wrote:
Yup.. like Mr. McStagger said... and then increase the price of the drink by 3 to 4 clams... and if someone does not wish the mug (who would EVER do that?) then you are on your way to getting paid back. Sorry some people do this but.... it could be a misunderstanding... however, most of the places I go to send you home with a FRESH mug... all clean and wrapped.

Where are these tiki bars that are sending you home with a free mug? I have never seen them, with the exception of the Mara Amu at the Mai Kai and a few others. But the mugs ar enot free or included at most places and are not included in all drinks.

This is a nice answer, but it is not an answer to his question.

"Mai-Kai: History & Mystery of the Iconic Tiki Restaurant" the book

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
gordon58
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-07-30 12:24 pm   Permalink

never mind

[ This Message was edited by: gordon58 2007-07-31 07:53 ]

View Profile of gordon58 Send a personal message to gordon58      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki King
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-30 4:23 pm   Permalink

I have two views on this.
If an item has the name and address and/or phone number, then it is advertising. personalization is one thing, but you do not need the address and phone number of a place you are sitting in, so it would seem that they assume you will take it, and while using it, be reminded to come back.

However, an item just being on your table or having the business name on it is not an invitation to take it. There is sort of a legacy perception that it's not really stealing. I think it came from people stealing stuff. You notice that hotels don’t put their names on stuff any more? that's because if they do, it gets stolen. I personally make it a habit to say, "do I get to keep the mug?"

There are of course, people who just steal stuff, and I have had to make a few decisions as to whether it was worth the possible out come to call them on it. Pretty much every time I vend, I have to say “excuse me, did you want to buy that?” as someone is walking off with merchandise. Necklaces, CD’s, Stickers…They always look surprised and say, “Oh, I thought they were free”, even though the price was clearly marked. people will, and do, take anything. I even saw a friends date slipping stuff into her pocket when she thought I was not paying attention. it can be difficult, because you don’t want to embarrass people. But sometimes you have to. Once however, a very large, half naked fellow covered in large scars and prison tattoos picked up one of my “UKE” stickers, looked me in the eye and said, “I’m taking this”. I let it go.

But in general, I think the “excuse me, did you want to buy that?” route is the best way. It lets people know that you are watching, and the stuffs not free, but if it was a legitimate mistake, you don't start a fight with someone who may come back and spend money.

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki King 2007-07-30 16:27 ]

View Profile of Tiki King Send a personal message to Tiki King  Email Tiki King Goto the website of Tiki King     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Capt'n Skully
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-30 6:30 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-07-30 11:22, Swanky wrote:
After mulling it over, I have come up with the perect solution:

In Hawaii, they tell the tourists that taking the lava rock is taboo and that Pele will curse you if you take the lava from the island. There is an office in Hawaii that gets lots and lots of lava rocks that are mailed back to them to remove the curse as all sorts of bad things happen when people take the lava. Do the same thing with the tiki mugs. At the top of the menu, put the Pele curse to those who remove the mugs from Thatch. Tell how many bad problems started as they got to the car with their mugs and it is strictly advised that you never remove any mug from Thatch or a bad fate will result. Pretty soon you will find your mail slot full or mugs being returned...

Read about the curse of Pele here.

[ This Message was edited by: swanky 2007-07-30 13:48 ]

That's good mulling right there.

View Profile of Capt'n Skully Send a personal message to Capt'n Skully  Email Capt'n Skully     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
panampia
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-08-12 6:20 pm   Permalink

Serve drinks in regular glasses for a regular amount. Serve them in the nice Tiki mugs for a higher amount that covers your costs plus a lil somethin extra, and the guest can take it home with them. Simple.

View Profile of panampia Send a personal message to panampia  Email panampia     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-13 06:30 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-08-12 18:20, panampia wrote:
Serve drinks in regular glasses for a regular amount. Serve them in the nice Tiki mugs for a higher amount that covers your costs plus a lil somethin extra, and the guest can take it home with them. Simple.

Not simple. He doesn't want them to go home with mugs at all.

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-13 07:00 am   Permalink

in light of todays technology, it should be relatively inexpensive to outfit all your mugs with an electronic chip and a detector at the front door, similiar to most department stores.....when the perp tries to smuggle a mug out the door, the alarm sounds, they shit their pants and then everyone in the bar gets to humiliate them!!!

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bohemiann
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-13 09:16 am   Permalink

First off let me say I loved visiting Thatch recently and I didn't steal a thing.

I am looking at opening a Bar as well and I was inspired by several elements. The water feature, fresh squeezed juices, sunken bar. Thatch has one of the nicest bathrooms as well, very well appointed and it would make me nervous having such a nice restroom knowing how some people act. I payed for one of your t-shirts and would encourage you to sell the signs as well. Are there any plans to juice up the outside? No offense but I drove past it twice looking for it and It's a bit.... bland, especially considering how great the inside looks. Also I would like to say the staff was amazingly friendly!

I remember there being a deposit at FI for the Fugu mugs when I was there for the pub crawl. It didn't bother me a bit. The Token thing sounds promising, also can't you just have them leave a credit card for an open tab and then when they tab out it is procedure to ask if they wish to buy the mugs. If not collect them at the time the bill is paid. If they are not finished at the time the bill is paid the mug is still collected and the drink transferred into a "roadie"/plastic cup. This gives you the opportunity to up-sell the bill and increase your profits. I will definitely be selling mugs, It's another source of revenue.

The Curse.... I love it! I'm gonna use it, thanks!

Psycho Suzie's served me my T-Shirt purchase in one of their Pizza Boxes which I thought was very cool. I don't remember having a deposit on the mugs. It may be something they do when It's busy. Another inspiring establishment.

Matches, napkins, swizzle sticks and the like are advertising, big time, and I will be encouraging people to take them, but you have to get your name on all of it.

As far as the menu, I plan on making some cool ones that are not really expensive and I will just expect people will take them. Advertising. I might even number them and change the design each year to increase the collectibility of them.

One thing is for sure, drunk people are going to do stupid shit. Regulars, of course will get away with more cause.... they keep coming back and spending money. However one approaches it, I think not taking it personally, being tolerant and nice are just good biz practices and will pay off in the end.

View Profile of Bohemiann Send a personal message to Bohemiann  Email Bohemiann     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-13 10:03 am   Permalink

Wow, glad your experience was so positive.

As far as signing. My first complaint about visiting the Kona in Oakland was lack of signage. One of the following TC responses was great, and I shall quote, "A business with no sign is a sign of no business."

Since opening I've been battling with the landlord. I had a beautiful neon sign designed. He said "no." Then I had a sign back-lit with gel for the lettering. "NO" Then he approved a sign like a shingle with lights illuminating it. Then last Friday he said"hold everything, I want to put an awning up.

I'm tempted to do one of 2 things: hang a cheap ass vinyl banner that reads: my landlord won't let me have a sign" -or- black out the windows and make it a hidden treasure for those who would seek out such a place. Like a speakeasy.

Anyway, glad you liked the place and soon there will be some limited ed mugs for people to steal. I mean pay for.

View Profile of Robertiki Send a personal message to Robertiki  Email Robertiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-13 11:13 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-08-13 10:03, Robertiki wrote:
Wow, glad your experience was so positive.

As far as signing. My first complaint about visiting the Kona in Oakland was lack of signage. One of the following TC responses was great, and I shall quote, "A business with no sign is a sign of no business."

Since opening I've been battling with the landlord. I had a beautiful neon sign designed. He said "no." Then I had a sign back-lit with gel for the lettering. "NO" Then he approved a sign like a shingle with lights illuminating it. Then last Friday he said"hold everything, I want to put an awning up.

I'm tempted to do one of 2 things: hang a cheap ass vinyl banner that reads: my landlord won't let me have a sign" -or- black out the windows and make it a hidden treasure for those who would seek out such a place. Like a speakeasy.

Anyway, glad you liked the place and soon there will be some limited ed mugs for people to steal. I mean pay for.

or see my previous threads of "aku aku sign" and "islander sign" and let me make you a nice kick ass sign like these for your front window...no need to worry about the landlord or his damn awning with this one....

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sporkboyofjustice
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-13 12:41 pm   Permalink

I wanted to type "...or just kick him in the nuts and run like hell." but that doesn't make sense at all. Anyway I've been watching this thread for a bit now. Definitely let us all know about the mugs so us out of towners can make the trip and purchase the mugs through legitimate channels.

Let the record know that I have never stolen a mug but I did liberate a menu up at the Bellvue TV. It was my first proper drink, a Mai Tai and alcohol inspires some interesting behavior. I won't be doing that again but I treasure the menu.

View Profile of sporkboyofjustice Send a personal message to sporkboyofjustice  Goto the website of sporkboyofjustice     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Frediki

Posted: 2007-08-13 8:57 pm   Permalink

Hmmm... I order a drink at a place called Thatch, and the mug says Trader Vic's.

Scene 1) Wow an old collectible mug, bet they got them at a discount from some restaurant supply vendor and don't know its old. It must have been some left overs since it does not say Thatch! I'm gonna take it before it gets broken in the back room by the dishwasher.

Scene 2) mugs break all the time .. they won't miss this one..

Scene 3) I just drove for hours to get here and paid $$$ for a drink and you can not keep the mug or buy a mug!

Scene 4) My girlfriend wants one so bad.....

Many brew pubs that I have been to state on the drink board by the bar and on the menu that the pint glass is $2-4 extra with a drink. I'm happy to pay that and get my souvenir legally - and more than one! Until you can offer mugs for sale I would put up a sign and a note on the menu that the mugs are not gratis with a drink. Or perhaps use them only for really expensive drinks the will cover the cost. Maybe just trusted regulars. If they ask - sell them the Trader Vic's mug for twice what you paid. (But wait till I get one on eBay first before the $$$ goes up). Looking forward to buying a Thatch mug if it is a good design.

View Profile of Frediki Send a personal message to Frediki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mzoltarp
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-14 05:52 am   Permalink

Selling souvenirs is such a no-brainer. I'm surprised that it's even debated. We go to a place every once in a blue moon in Ventura California called Eric Ericson's (spelling dubious at best) and it's pretty hard NOT to walk through their souvenir store either before or after a meal. People buy all kinds of "Eric" stuff and throw it on their credit cards without blinking. By the way their prices are pricey. The food is adventurous if not always successful. Their martinis are great. The service is efficient yet robotic. Definitely an interesting experience.

View Profile of mzoltarp Send a personal message to mzoltarp  Goto the website of mzoltarp     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Gnomon
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-14 07:23 am   Permalink

You might not think this would be cost effective,
but with the savings from mug theft deterrent
it should pay for itself in no time.

Very important. You have to get the scanner
that picks up even the most skillfully hidden mugs.

View Profile of The Gnomon Send a personal message to The Gnomon      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2007-08-14 07:49 am   Permalink

Back when GROG was growing up, if anybody was caught stealing, they would be tied up and dragged behind a free-roaming wooley mammoth for a day. That worked really well at discouraging stealing, it would probably work pretty well for you, too. The other option was that the the whole tribe was allowed to sleep with the offender's wife. Most women were pretty ugly back then, so we usually opted to tie the offender to the mammoth.

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation