[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Drop Ceiling Nightmare
Drop Ceiling Nightmare
Krakatowa
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-07-24 2:52 pm   Permalink

Hey gang

So, I have begun designing the basement tiki room, and I am trying to figure out what do with the ceiling. I have one of those awful 2'x2' grid drop ceilings, and I want to try and make it less boring. Thing is I need access to the space above the drop ceiling.

Any suggestions?

I was thinking of taking out a few of the tiles in random areas, and suspending barrels and glass floats through the ceiling... like the trader huts at Disneyland. I just don't know what to do about the tiles.

Thanks

View Profile of Krakatowa Send a personal message to Krakatowa  Email Krakatowa Goto the website of Krakatowa     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-07-24 3:46 pm   Permalink

Remember that paper I told you about?
Just glue that to each one.
Or use bamboo fence glued/wired to each one.
Then take 2 inch bamboo to make a cross beam to hide
drop ceiling grid.
Or hide grid with the paper by leaving extra on the ends.
You could paint it all a dark color then mask with burlap or cloth.
At Trader Vic's and the Mai Kai they use oriental news papers
just glue it to the ceiling then shellac.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMike
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-07-24 4:05 pm   Permalink

That would be my advice too. Work with what's there to disguise the fact that it's a dropped ceiling. It would be much easier and cheaper than trying to replace it.

View Profile of TikiMike Send a personal message to TikiMike  Email TikiMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-24 5:37 pm   Permalink

Here's an idea, made possible by a local restaurant. A night sky made by drilling out some holes in the drop ceiling, painting it black, and mounting a light above it. You could make the stars any colour you want, and even make them multi-colour by using a color wheel.

(follow link below to see the picture)

Any ceiling suggestions for our tiki room?

Great Minds Drink Alike

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-24 6:19 pm   Permalink

What is above the ceiling? Can you just remove the drop ceiling all together? Is whatever is above the grid easier to disguise than the tiles?

If you want to keep the tiles, paint is a good idea and easy and cheap.

Or, glue grass matts (or burlap, or even lightweight canvas) to the tiles.

Old newspapers work well.

If you don't mind the work, you can cut thin plywood to replace the tiles. Then you can stain or paint or whatever to the wood.

The star idea is really cool, as is removing some of the tiles to allow 'stuff' to leak in.

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-24 10:36 pm   Permalink

I've got the same ceiling...

Paint it dark brown, slap some split bamboo beams up there... hang fish netting... its not going to take a lot of weight hanging from it though if it is the cardboard/paper stuff. You can use screw in cup hooks to hang puffers and floats.

I did have to remove and replace some panels to install lighting... it is a pain in the ass. When the ceiling was put up I imagine they started at one end and ended at the other... everything is tongue and groove.

I used regular interior latex paint... if its white its going to take a few coats. Brush it, roll it, whatever it takes.

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-25 06:26 am   Permalink

YEah, apint brown and wrap in burlap. Burlap is a very cheap and easy to find way to do a ceiling.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Krakatowa
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-08-05 5:36 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the great ideas everybody. I am going to try several of them and see which one works out best.

I appreciate the feedback

View Profile of Krakatowa Send a personal message to Krakatowa  Email Krakatowa Goto the website of Krakatowa     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation