FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food The Rebirth of the Zombie: Tasting the legend for the first time
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
The Rebirth of the Zombie: Tasting the legend for the first time
Kon-Hemsby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-06 05:33 am   Permalink

Bump. Just read this again and it's fantastic. A real purists delight.

I'm still working my way to the perfect Zombie and this is real inspiration.

Mahalo

View Profile of Kon-Hemsby Send a personal message to Kon-Hemsby  Email Kon-Hemsby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2008-08-07 09:42 am   Permalink

Cheers!

More hot wet zombie action can be found here:

http://www.tikioasis.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_3&products_id=4

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
OceaOtica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-09 11:35 am   Permalink

Just saw this post, man, i wish i could have been there that night. I have heard stories of his collection, and glad most of it survived after Katrina. Your palette got to time travel that night, what a treat! Good luck with your symposium at Oasis!

View Profile of OceaOtica Send a personal message to OceaOtica  Email OceaOtica Goto the website of OceaOtica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CincyTikiCraig
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-18 10:19 am   Permalink

I wanted to bump this thread and ask a question of my fellow TCers.

Firstly, what an great opportunity this must have been, to literally taste a piece of living history! This story has encouraged me to redouble my efforts to mix the best and most authentic Zombies that I possibly can in my home bar. Martiki noted that the Lowndes Jamaican Rum, which was used in the original 1934 DTB Zombie, was similar to Appleton Extra 12 year. He also noted that the dark Puerto Rican rums as used in the 1934 original are now an uncommon item. This lead me to think about Ron del Barrilito Two Star & Three Star, which are (IMHO) the best rums currently made in PR. As nobody sells Barrilito in these parts I am going to have to order it on the web, so I was wondering if anyone might have an opinion as to how one of these rums ( likely the Three Star, which is aged 6-10 years vs the Two Star's three years of age) would work in a 1934 Zombie, along with Appleton Extra 12 Year and Lemon Hart 151 as the primary ingredients?

I would appreciate any opinions that you might have.

Mahalo,

Craig

View Profile of CincyTikiCraig Send a personal message to CincyTikiCraig      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiwattowner
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-08-18 11:13 am   Permalink

I think the Ron del Barrilito rums are really nice. I worked my way through a bottle of the Three Star in 1934 Zombies and other recipes and am now working through a bottle of the Two Star. They both work well, but the Three Star is clearly a better / more expensive rum. When I get done with the Two Star I will spring next time for the Three Star. I've been on and off again alternating the Ron del Barrilito with some Cruzan (per the Beachbum's suggestions about Virgin Islands versus PR rums).

Like you, for my 1934 Zombies I used Appleton Extra or V/X and Lemon Hart.

I'd have no hesitation though using the Ron del Barrilito instead of Cruzan. I think the Barrilito is clearly in a differnt league from "normal" Bacardi (I have never tried the Bacardi 8 ).

I picked up my Barrilito Three Star on a trip to Puerto Rico in the airport duty free. The Two Star was purchased in the Boston area at Martignetti's in Brighton. I can't remember if they carry both of the types.

View Profile of hiwattowner Send a personal message to hiwattowner      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CincyTikiCraig
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-18 7:24 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the quick reply Hiwattowner! I suspected that Barrilito 3 Star would make a great Zombie. I just ordered some on the 'net.

Just for kicks and giggles, anyone ever use Bacardi 8 in a Zombie (or anything else)? I've heard that the '8' is a cut above the average Bacardi product. True?

Mahalo,

Craig

View Profile of CincyTikiCraig Send a personal message to CincyTikiCraig      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Balls
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-08-19 08:41 am   Permalink

Haven't used Bacardi 8 in a Zombie, but I will agree that the "8" IS one of Bacardi's better products.

View Profile of Rum Balls Send a personal message to Rum Balls      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-02 09:59 am   Permalink

Yeah, I know I'm ugly...I said to a bartender, 'Make me a zombie.' He said 'God beat me to it.'
- Rodney Dangerfield

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation