FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Ever think of opening a Tiki Bar?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
Ever think of opening a Tiki Bar?
Rattiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-18 8:56 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-08-18 10:51, Primo Kimo wrote:
Rattiki = NATO (No Action Talk Only). To either fail or succeed you must make an attempt.

I whole heartedly agree. "You must make an attempt" but an attempt should begin with getting the proper background and training. When you first anounced your desire to open the Kahiki Moon I recommended you not do it before you got some proper background and training. Since that time you could have worked in several places and positions within the biz and for a wage, salary and maybe even tips and been paid to learn SOME of the ins and outs of restauranteering. THEN (which means now) you could have made your attempt to open your "dream" place, but you did not want to take my advise (instead I was called names, Rattfink I think it was) but that was your choice. Why the KM is no longer open (the menu DID look interesting) I don't really know, nor do I care as I am sure I have heard (if not seen) it before. Nor do I relish that it occurred, on the contrary the more Tiki bars around the better IMO. OTOH I'm not going to see someone asking for advise on this BBS and not say something to them as I DO have the experience due to my ACTIONS.

BTW in the '90s NATO stopped the war in Bosnia and Herzegovina. How do I know that? During that time I had several Yugoslavians in my employ working with me at the very successful B&G (#3 in Heineken sales in Holland) that I was running in Amsterdam.

View Profile of Rattiki Send a personal message to Rattiki  Email Rattiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-18 10:24 pm   Permalink

<<...that I was running in Amsterdam.>>

This explains a lot.
btw, Rat - the Boracay Muslim Vendors Association called.
They want their watch back. And sunglasses.

Speaking of Amsterdam, cybertiki is hanging out there last I heard.

Now, who's opening a bar somewhere?
Salinas?

Better get yourself a gigantic ad campaign going.
If you build it they may or may not come, but if you advertise you can even sell billions and billions of lousy burgers.

Call up Britney Spears to be your spokesmodel. She's not doing anything.

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
diesel tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-08-19 09:44 am   Permalink

Do..or not do...never try.

View Profile of diesel tiki Send a personal message to diesel tiki  Email diesel tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bohemiann
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-08-19 1:49 pm   Permalink

Be sure and have mugs, buy a whole bunch that way if you go out of business they will increase in value and you can sell them on EBAY while you look for a job. Even though I'm sure it will be a huge success it never hurts to hedge your bets!

View Profile of Bohemiann Send a personal message to Bohemiann  Email Bohemiann Goto the website of Bohemiann     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mai Tai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-19 2:24 pm   Permalink

That's going to be my new business model! Like Microsoft's ghostware release threats without actual product, I'm going to find a cool old empty building, and the only leasehold improvements I'll make are a cool big ol' tiki sign out front with some tiki torches and a cool large tiki, and then follow that up with a big ol' "closed forever" sign the same or next day. But I will have mugs mugs mugs! Warehouses of mugs!!! But John Q. Ebay Public won't know that, so they be forced into a wild bidding frenzy coma as I slowly release 1 mug every other week or so. Oh, and other "fixtures", like the "lamps" and such, can't forget about ebaying those!

Hey, is that space in the Greyhound bus station still available? Hmmmmmm...

View Profile of Mai Tai Send a personal message to Mai Tai  Email Mai Tai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tastysp
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-20 08:52 am   Permalink

as an owner of a tiki bar I say do it!
pm me any questions
steve/otto's shrunken head nyc

View Profile of tastysp Send a personal message to tastysp  Email tastysp     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thistle
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-08-20 1:09 pm   Permalink

I dream about it!-if I won the MegaMillions tommorow, I'd be ready, because we all know that opening a restaurant/bar/tiki club is the fastest way to lose our money. I have a location picked out (would want to own, rather than rent, because that's where you make your money, selling the property, after the business goes down the tubes).

Your biggest challenge will be staff-Good help is hard to find (especially w/ what you'll be able to pay them). People, even the best ones, don't show up, leave on a whim, get a better job. If you can't handle almost the whole place by yourself (& who can?), you're screwed. It IS a wonderful dream, though, & I wish you success...Linda

View Profile of thistle Send a personal message to thistle  Email thistle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiLaLe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-20 4:00 pm   Permalink

Give me an empty warehouse on the West Side of MannyHattan.. I'll park 10 limo's in front of the place every Friday, Saturday Nite ... within a month the line will be down the street !!!!

View Profile of TikiLaLe Send a personal message to TikiLaLe  Email TikiLaLe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tastysp
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-20 4:21 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-08-20 16:00, TikiLaLe wrote:
Give me an empty warehouse on the West Side of MannyHattan.. I'll park 10 limo's in front of the place every Friday, Saturday Nite ... within a month the line will be down the street !!!!

As a bar owner in manhattan expect those limos to be accompanied by the NYPD, Health Dept., Fire Dept, buildings dept. all looking to ticket/shut down the place.

View Profile of tastysp Send a personal message to tastysp  Email tastysp     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiLaLe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-20 5:07 pm   Permalink

That's why you need a 'Bloomberg' in your pocket !!!!

View Profile of TikiLaLe Send a personal message to TikiLaLe  Email TikiLaLe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tastysp
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-20 8:00 pm   Permalink

I never thought I would say that any mayor would be worse than Giuliani but Bloomberg is ... in spades.

locnar2001

Posted: 2013-02-07 1:39 pm   Permalink

Me and my girl are seriously looking into opening one in either Cleveland or Akron Ohio..
I have trolled this board for a long time. You guys are great. But recently we have decided to look deeper into the matter. Were giving ourselves 2 years to do research on it all.
We recently visited the Grass Skirt in Cbus Ohio. Great layout and something we both agreed would be the perfect size. Small food menu but great drinks. But we will see.
Just gotta think of a name..

View Profile of locnar2001 Send a personal message to locnar2001  Email locnar2001     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-02-07 2:02 pm   Permalink

Currently all of my research indicates that the next new *real* tiki bar should be built in Jacksonville, Florida.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-11 08:15 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-08-04 07:45, christiki295 wrote:
Make sure you factor the cost of insurance.
Patrons drinking and tripping and falling may eventually file a claim.
Even if it is not a legit case, you need to have defense costs prepaid.

One cannot emphasize enough having a business plan . . .

Also, claims will be made arising out of bar fights, whether from injuries sustained due to insufficient security, or over zealous security. Probably all bogus, but better to have insurance than to pay for defense counsel instead of from out of your own pocket.

I cannot agree enough with the business plan recommendation. It is a business, not a hobby.

With that said, a busy bar can generate a lot of cash, which I hear is virtually tax free.

[ This Message was edited by: christiki295 2013-02-11 08:17 ]

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bongo Bungalow
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-11 12:27 pm   Permalink

70% of sales in my restaurants/bars are credit cards. And you could hide the rest from the government so as to not pay taxes on it... but I don't and wouldn't suggest anyone take that risk. (They serve a lousy Mai-Tai in the big house.)

[ This Message was edited by: Bongo Bungalow 2013-02-11 12:27 ]

View Profile of Bongo Bungalow Send a personal message to Bongo Bungalow  Email Bongo Bungalow Goto the website of Bongo Bungalow     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation