Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Treating fresh logs
Treating fresh logs
kgbenson
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-07-28 12:40 pm   Permalink

I have scored some nice Oak logs. These are freshly cut and I would imagine very likely to crack were I to simply start carving them. And advice out there on how best to treat them, and when it would be best to start the carving process?

thanks!

Keith

View Profile of kgbenson Send a personal message to kgbenson  Email kgbenson     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifreak1
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-28 12:56 pm   Permalink

I'm on my first carving too. I think my log is oak also, the guys on here just told me to start right away. I did buy some sealer for the end of the logs though. Good luck!

Craig

View Profile of tikifreak1 Send a personal message to tikifreak1  Email tikifreak1 Goto the website of tikifreak1     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kgbenson
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-07-29 06:03 am   Permalink

No need to let them dry for an extended period of time? I think cracks add character, but I don't want a huge number of them.

Keith

View Profile of kgbenson Send a personal message to kgbenson  Email kgbenson     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-29 5:25 pm   Permalink

Do a search for sealing and treating logs... there's plenty info in here from over the years.

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kgbenson
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-07-30 06:27 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-07-29 17:25, Lake Surfer wrote:
Do a search for sealing and treating logs... there's plenty info in here from over the years.

I did that and results of the above searches had a very low signal to noise ratio.

I guess what I am looking for is something like this: Paint the ends with sealer and wait until the logs lose X% of weight or 1-2 years or heck, just carve the things. These are decent oak logs and I want to maximize their potential. I am a coomplete newbie to carving, I asked because I really didn't find what I was looking for using the search function.

Thanks!

Keith

[ This Message was edited by: kgbenson 2007-07-30 06:29 ]

kgbenson
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-07-30 06:28 am   Permalink

Duplicate

[ This Message was edited by: kgbenson 2007-07-30 06:29 ]

tikifreak1
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-30 06:48 am   Permalink

I would just start carving it. You can check out my thread if you want, I had some of the same questions you did. My last posting was about 10 days ago.

Craig

View Profile of tikifreak1 Send a personal message to tikifreak1  Email tikifreak1 Goto the website of tikifreak1     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation