[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Tiki Mugs at Cost Plus
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Tiki Mugs at Cost Plus
Billbot
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-07-29 2:21 pm   Permalink

Sorry if this has been posed before, I did search but didn't find anything.

Cost Plus stores here in the San Francisco bay area are stocking tiki mugs for $3.99. They aren't particularly pretty, but I bought 6 of them. They are fairly big and heavy. Made in China. They come in blue and brown. The brown ones have kind of a hazy glaze, like they might have been a fault in the glaze. I was told that they are going to be a regularly stocked item.

-BILLBOT
http://www.astrostation.com

View Profile of Billbot Send a personal message to Billbot  Email Billbot Goto the website of Billbot     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
fez monkey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-29 7:54 pm   Permalink

Yeah, this is Libbey's "Totem" design which doesn't shake my Mai Tai (if you know what I mean). I much prefer the "Bambusa" design (looks like a large stalk of bamboo), which is used at the Mr. Tiki Mai Tai Lounge in San Diego. I think they also use the "Tonga" design if I remember correctly.

Pretty smart of the Cost Plus chain. Sure enough, they're selling it at cost, plus extra.

Can't wait to see these on ebay as "rare, vintage" mugs.

-SV

View Profile of fez monkey Send a personal message to fez monkey  Email fez monkey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Hunter
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-07-30 08:02 am   Permalink

Hey Billbot, do you know how many oz. they hold?

View Profile of Rum Hunter Send a personal message to Rum Hunter      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JenTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-30 10:39 am   Permalink

According to Ooga-Mooga, they hold 20 fluid ounces, with the optimal drink size being 9 oz plus ice. I have put some very large drinks in mine. They are my drinking mug of choice at home since they were cheap and are easily replacable, so it won't break my heart if anything happens to them.

View Profile of JenTiki Send a personal message to JenTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
caffeinated
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-07-30 3:52 pm   Permalink

These same mugs are also available at Dollar Tree stores for... um.. a dollar.

View Profile of caffeinated Send a personal message to caffeinated      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Billbot
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-07-30 4:44 pm   Permalink

I haven't seen them at Dollar Tree, but good to know!

Which Dollar Tree specifically were they at?

Thanks!

-BILLBOT

View Profile of Billbot Send a personal message to Billbot  Email Billbot Goto the website of Billbot     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
caffeinated
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-07-30 6:39 pm   Permalink

I picked mine up here in Northern KY & had some friends pick me up one from a Cincinnati store. Doesn't help with one near you though.

View Profile of caffeinated Send a personal message to caffeinated      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-30 7:23 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-07-29 14:21, Billbot wrote:
Sorry if this has been posed before, I did search but didn't find anything.

Cost Plus stores here in the San Francisco bay area are stocking tiki mugs for $3.99. They aren't particularly pretty, but I bought 6 of them. They are fairly big and heavy. Made in China. They come in blue and brown. The brown ones have kind of a hazy glaze, like they might have been a fault in the glaze. I was told that they are going to be a regularly stocked item.

..don't worry..the haziness in the glaze is from the lead those cheap bastards use in china!!! ...but don't let it throw ya...drink up, shriner!!!! LOL

[ This Message was edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2007-07-30 19:24 ]

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unkle John
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-31 11:49 am   Permalink

I too haven't seen them at the 4 dollar stores out here.
Anyone in Texas have any luck?

View Profile of Unkle John Send a personal message to Unkle John  Email Unkle John Goto the website of Unkle John     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Haole'akamai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-31 3:10 pm   Permalink

Well, well, well....

View Profile of Haole'akamai Send a personal message to Haole'akamai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JenTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-31 3:50 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-07-31 15:10, Haole'akamai wrote:
Well, well, well....

Well ... that's twice the price ($3.99) of the same mug at World Market in Oakland. Then when you add the shipping cost, you're looking at almost five times the price of picking one up in your local Cost Plus/World Market store. Looks like a major ripoff to me!

View Profile of JenTiki Send a personal message to JenTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. NoNaMe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-31 4:04 pm   Permalink

They are usually 2.99 at the Goodwill and the Salvation Army stores.

They may also be purchased at just about any restaurant supply biz. If they are in stock. If not you'd prolly have to buy the case.

View Profile of Mr. NoNaMe Send a personal message to Mr. NoNaMe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Billbot
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-07-31 4:33 pm   Permalink

http://dynastywholesale.com/
is one place I've found for that sort of thing. Anyone else know any other sites for wholesale mugs?

-BILLBOT

fez monkey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-31 5:31 pm   Permalink

Actually, I've always thought that the Totem mug design was merely a poor ripoff of the Dynasty 113 Mug(DW113) which is just the Orchids R-5 mug given a second life.

It really makes me appreciate the modern mug designers out there who are constantly cooking up new variations. Just when I think no one's going to surprise me anymore with something I just have to possess, someone does.

- SV

View Profile of fez monkey Send a personal message to fez monkey  Email fez monkey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
fez monkey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-01 1:16 pm   Permalink

So, I did a lot of digging and here's the skinny on this.

Libbey has discontinued their entire Tikiware line and does not have a replacement line planned at this time. I got this answer from the Northern California sales rep. for Libbey. There are a number of websites that claim to have the Bambusa mugs, but when I called, most did not actually have any. Some Tonga and Totem designs can be still be found, but the Bambusa seems to be long gone.

Cost Plus, Dollar Tree and whatnot are getting clearance stock, so this is the last hurrah for these mugs.

So, hold on to them, and in 40 years or so they'll be vintage and maybe worth something.

- SV

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation