FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Trade Winds Motor Inn, Spokane, WA (motel)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Trade Winds Motor Inn, Spokane, WA (motel)
Sweet Daddy Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-29 10:15 pm   Permalink

Name:Trade Winds Motor Inn
Type:motel
Street:907 West 3rd Avenue
City:Spokane
State:WA
Zip:
Phone:

Description:

View Profile of Sweet Daddy Tiki Send a personal message to Sweet Daddy Tiki  Goto the website of Sweet Daddy Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sweet Daddy Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-29 10:20 pm   Permalink

Photos from our "Lost in Paradise" vacation:

We caught sight of the sign on top of the building from the I-90 and decided to investigate.

Velvet painting flanked by tiki heads in the lobby.

This sign painted on the back of the building, featuring their signature tiki, is partly obscured by trees.

blog

View Profile of Sweet Daddy Tiki Send a personal message to Sweet Daddy Tiki  Goto the website of Sweet Daddy Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2007-07-29 11:44 pm   Permalink

Here's a "before" photo that Sabu posted in this thread:
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=68&forum=1

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-22 11:39 pm   Permalink

I dropped in on the Trade Winds in 2002. The young guy working the front desk said his mom (the manager) had added the masks and black velvet to the lobby and that he himself had designed the new plastic Trade Winds sign. Nice efforts considering similar places often completely erase all traces of Tiki.

Out front or by the pool I saw some old gas Tiki torches. It looks as if they may have been removed by 2007.

View Profile of woofmutt Send a personal message to woofmutt  Email woofmutt Goto the website of woofmutt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-27 09:25 am   Permalink

Great shot of the original sign.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nuKKe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-14 09:50 am   Permalink

We stayed there in early May 2007, just a couple of months before Sweet Daddy Tiki's visit. It was dirt cheap, around $26 per night, but the word 'dodgy' does not even begin to describe the state of the place. Bed&Crank, my husband called it.

View Profile of nuKKe Send a personal message to nuKKe  Email nuKKe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-17 12:14 pm   Permalink

This is by far one of my favorite Tiki motel signs, so I was really happy to score a matchbook from this place.

The graphics and fonts make the sign look even cooler in the rendering.

Had never seen this one before.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
abstractiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-17 7:02 pm   Permalink

Nice score! the tiki in the sign reminds me of the Grimes Islander sign.

View Profile of abstractiki Send a personal message to abstractiki  Email abstractiki Goto the website of abstractiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-18 12:19 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-02-17 19:02, abstractiki wrote:
Nice score! the tiki in the sign reminds me of the Grimes Islander sign.

Thanks Abstract. Don't you mean the Tiki No sign? Ha!

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-19 03:32 am   Permalink

Nice find! This is indeed one of the best examples of the "Shield sign" concept found in other places like the Leilani Wisconsin and Kon Tiki Tuscon, a subject which was discussed here by Sabu. It is also clearly a Tiki-period design, while the "Tradewinds" moniker, as I mentioned here...
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=38951&forum=2

...is clearly a Pre-Tiki concept. Looking at some of the Tradewinds motels posted here on TC, it is interesting that there were a couple of non-affiliated Tradewinds Motels who seem to have emulated the impressive Tulsa Tradewinds sign:

...which was also a Pre-Tiki design. Here are the Nebraska and Lake Tahoe ones:

(This one was has both, palm and Tiki)

Not quite as impressive, but they did better than this late, un-themed, POST-Tiki sign :

This makes Tradewinds signage another nice example of the transition form Polynesian pop to Tiki style.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
naugatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-19 05:17 am   Permalink

[quote]

I've always wondered what that was a painting of since it appeared in the BOT page 234 floating out of place in the middle of The Sea And Jungle Shop looking more like a founding father at a distance than the classic black velvet nudie painting.

View Profile of naugatiki Send a personal message to naugatiki  Email naugatiki Goto the website of naugatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-19 11:09 am   Permalink

That is a famous Leeteg painting entitled "Old Tahitian chief" (...or something like it, I'm not at home where my Leeteg material is). It is based on a B&W photographic portrait by a Tahitian photographer, who actually sued Leeteg for copying a couple of his photos without permission.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-19 11:13 am   Permalink

the same painting is in the Waikiki Supper Club at the tiki motor lodge in lake george.

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-09 3:46 pm   Permalink

I picked up a postcard that has a photo of the Trade Winds sign in the evening with the torches lit.

Also spotted this ad from the Trade Winds on flikr.

Here is the rest of the postcard. Unfortunately no Tiki shown anywhere else on the premises.

DC

Sweet Daddy Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-09 5:31 pm   Permalink

That round bed is SWANK!

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation