FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Robin's Jade Carving update 4/3 actually got one done!
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
Robin's Jade Carving update 4/3 actually got one done!
Robin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-01 7:47 pm   Permalink

Hi All,

It's taken awhile to actually get going. Lots of ordering and waiting for stuff, and trying to get a working set up together. Whew!

Then with a lot of trepidation....and hemming and hawing about what to actually carve, I decided on a Taiaha, at least part of one. The Taiaha is a Maori weapon. Usually about 60" long it is used in close combat, pointed on one end with a flat broad blade on the other. The pointed end was used to poke at the opponent, and then the staff was swung around to crack the skull with the blade end. The pointed end was usually a head with a long tongue stuck out in defiance. The head was usually carved the same on both sides...I'm not gonna do that...I'm way over my head as it is! This weapon was also used to challenge anyone approaching a 'pa', homestead, to see whether they were friend or foe.

Pardon to all who know this stuff already!

I've been playing around with all my new toys to see what they'll do. It is a real challenge....here's what's happening so far. Can't show the back yet...it's kind of a mess.

Thanks to all for this forum...it is a great place to hang out, learn stuff, make friends and see great work.

[ This Message was edited by: Robin 2008-04-03 19:34 ]

View Profile of Robin Send a personal message to Robin  Email Robin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kingstiedye
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-01 7:53 pm   Permalink

that looks great, robin! i'd like to see some bigger pics though. please keep us up to date on your progress. (with bigger pics, of course.)

bangin' my slit gong drum until the cops come!

View Profile of kingstiedye Send a personal message to kingstiedye  Goto the website of kingstiedye     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-01 8:14 pm   Permalink

Robin, Excellent Beginning! Excellent form and shape. Post away and ask as many questions as you can think of and we will always find answers. Will this be a pendant? I'm Really liking it already

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tamapoutini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-02 04:12 am   Permalink

Fan-Tiki-tastic! Thats a great design Robin; I reckon you've set the complexity-bar just right for where you're at. Totally Tiki too (ok, you're in the gang.)
From the job you've done on the front I find it hard to imagine the back being too bad.

Keep it up; you're doing great. Cant wait to see more... Great lines too by the way!

Tama

View Profile of Tamapoutini Send a personal message to Tamapoutini  Email Tamapoutini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
timidtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-02 05:15 am   Permalink

GREAT JOB! I can't wait to se the finished tiki. You will be the one giving lessons and advice soon.

View Profile of timidtiki Send a personal message to timidtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-02 11:24 am   Permalink

I agree with timid and what a Gorgeous piece of Jade!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-02 2:14 pm   Permalink

Hi you guys...wow thanks so much for the encouragement and praise. Been working away a bit today....trying make decisions based on what I want instead of what I have to fix! Making an image look the same on both sides is damn hard! Whoops, now I gotta do that over there....oh no, I liked it better before...whoa, almost lost that eyebrow! It's coming along though, and really fun.

Kingstiedye...thank you! Sorry about the pictures. It does make it harder to see though(haha). Bigger ones next time for sure.

Hey Ben...thanks and thanks...not faint praise to me coming from a master carver. Yes, a pendant it is for those really defiant days. I'm glad you like the jade...it's some that I got from British Columbia...let's hope I can do it justice.

Tama my Teacher...Yippee! I'm in the gang...whooohooo! The back isn't so bad I guess...it's that reductive process thing...I wanted to wrap the mouth around the back, and by the time I figured that out, it was already gone. Don't quite know how to resolve it yet. Oh well. Your confidence is really inspiring...thanks.

TIMID!!!! Where ya been! How's the thumb? What are you working on? Very nice words Timid...not ready for teaching...I'm pretty much staring at the burs and thinking...ummmmm wonder what this will do.

Thanks again you guys...this is what I love about this forum...will update soon I hope.

View Profile of Robin Send a personal message to Robin  Email Robin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
benella
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-02 11:59 pm   Permalink

I'm very impressed.
Very good looking first piece, Robin. And very good choice for your first. You didn't choose the easiest but it is the start of a success

Benjamin.

View Profile of benella Send a personal message to benella  Goto the website of benella     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifreak1
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-03 09:58 am   Permalink

Hey Robin, Thanks a lot for the kind words! I really dig your jade carving. It's looking really cool! Maybe you could give some info on it sometime. I'd like to try that someday. And also, since you live in the U.S. how do get a hold of it (jade)??

View Profile of tikifreak1 Send a personal message to tikifreak1  Email tikifreak1 Goto the website of tikifreak1     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-03 5:57 pm   Permalink

Merci beaucoup Benjamin. And there you have the extent of my memories of French...except Je suis perdue. Which I used once in Paris...but I couldn't understand the reply. I'm not at all sorry I started this, and it is a challenge, but I am determined. I've learned a heck of a lot in a few short days. That's what it's all about. Hope to post progress pics tomorrow....as soon as I figure out how to make the nose look better! Hope your work is going well. What did you decide about your base?

TF1...my pleasure...my thanks to you as well. I've admired your candor as well as your efforts...how's it going? Will pm you later or tomorrow with what little I know. Most of what I've learned about carving has come from reading Tamapoutini, Paipo and Benzart...

Talk to ya later....keep on chippin' away at 'em.

R.

Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-03 6:40 pm   Permalink

We need bigger pics! It's looking very good from what I can see....
PS rubbing sticks still to come - I have to head away today but I haven't forgotten!

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-04 12:53 pm   Permalink

Hey Tiki peeps,

Progress pics....bigger.

Not exactly thrilled with it, but making my way.

Some things I have learned...

1. make a better roughout...it helps.
2. test the burs on scrap.
3. don't be scared...and don't be overconfident.
4. a little water goes a long way, and it's easier to see.
5. glue won't work.
6. if it doesn't turn out just the way you wanted it to..don't worry, it'll turn out anyway.
7. carving is pretty good stuff.

Thanks Paipo...I know you're busy....looking forward to the pics of the sticks.

Some of this carving is pretty deep...I'm not finished noodling with some of the areas yet, but when I get there....what is the best way of getting in these areas to smooth it out some? Tama warned me about this. He said make designs that don't have areas that are difficult to get to...sigh. I don't want to touch some of these areas with burs now as the design is starting to deteriorate....eyebrows...nose...plus, my burs are to big for somethings. New ones on the way though. Suggestions?

Your humble student.

R.

tikifreak1
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-04 1:21 pm   Permalink

Robin, I can't help with your questions. But I can say, I think your carving is looking pretty sweet!

Craig

View Profile of tikifreak1 Send a personal message to tikifreak1  Email tikifreak1 Goto the website of tikifreak1     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-04 3:01 pm   Permalink

So far it is looking great Robin, you're learning well and Fast. Try not to do any of the fine detail (like nostrils,eyes and stuff like that ) until you get down to the near final finish. as you begin to shape a feature you'll find it may change considerably and if you have already cut in finer details you back yourself into a corner, Your nose, you have to be very careful with since you already have the nose holes, but it will be OK. The angle of the mouth/beak where the tongue comes out is undercut a bit so you may see if you can make it more of a 90 degree angle and lower it a bit closer to the tongue. Try to even out your V-cuts on the forehead without going deeper yet. It should probably be done with a bit finer grit bur if you have one yet, if you don't, then wait to get one. Try rounding out the nose with a slower rpm and go slowly.
Keep in mind these are only suggestions from someone who has only carved 6 or 7 jade pieces so I hope you don't mind.
I thought you were on Vacation? Having a good time?
I want to see the "Rubbing Sticks" too, sounds like a great idea.
Definitely a pretty piece of jade, but watch those dark spots they may be soft.
Thanks for posting again.

OH Yes, the Macro trick? Just take Macro shots of your work and enlarge them on your computer screen and get a close up look and Everything you are needing to do. In My case they are not so kind sometimes.

myspace

[ This Message was edited by: Benzart 2007-08-04 15:06 ]

GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-04 5:09 pm   Permalink

Hi Robin! Sorry I haven't left you a note yet, but I have been watching your thread and your other posts in the carving forum. I'm glad to see you jumping and ripping into a difficult piece. It looks beautiful and I am sure you will work it all out nicely. Listen to Ben, he has the answers.

We likely live close to each other - we should get together one evening for some carving and chat. Nice to have you here.

-Gman

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation