FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Robin's Jade Carving update 4/3 actually got one done!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
Robin's Jade Carving update 4/3 actually got one done!
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-29 10:24 am   Permalink

Wow, for not having much time to carve you are Really putting out the Stuff! Well done again and I like this last one too.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-29 12:34 pm   Permalink

Hey Benz and Paipo, thanks for stopping by and for your comments.

The Maori weapons book is a great reference. I was especially pleased to see some side views. Have had a look for the Donn Salt book. Seems I can get it right from his website. I'm kinda book poor right now. I also ordered Adorning the World and Kahui Whetu which was really difficult to find, and won't believe that it's actually coming till I have it in my hand, but Salts' is on the list! His work is phenomenal.

Glad you liked the suspension Paipo, I wish I had bought some of that cord you guys use while I was in NZ, and a lot of other stuff as well. I thought I could get anything here! I can't get that cord, what I can get is round, and not as sticky so it's harder to work with, and doesn't lay flat or as neatly. It also creates bulges that are annoying when you pull it through to finish because it's thicker. I have looked everywhere for it here, but no joy. Getting it from NZ is righteously expensive...like thirty bucks just for shipping. Anyway..maybe I'll find some someday, I like it a lot better.

Benzo thanks for stopping by, I'm lucky to have this time, and am really enjoying learning and working...sometimes a bit frustrating, but I am enjoying the process...it's all about the process. Seeing in 3d right from the get go is difficult, followed by the occasional EEK when I try something. I had so many options working in clay. Hope to see you back soon with nose and eyes intact.

View Profile of Robin Send a personal message to Robin  Email Robin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-29 3:22 pm   Permalink

Looking good Robin! Looks like we work under the same
principal leave enough to work with.

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-06 2:28 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-02-29 15:22, seeksurf wrote:
Looking good Robin! Looks like we work under the same
principal leave enough to work with.

Thank you Seeksurf....how are your hands? Yah I finally realized to much is better than to little!

I started two more yesterday. I think it's better for me to have more than one thing going...and it's been a lot better having something to look at. I'm really into the Maori Weapons book, and it has really helped.

Here's the three I've got going

Worked on these two...no progress on the middle one.

Side view... after a Godstick from Terrence Barrows book.
This is 'Maru a war god of Rarotonga who is said by tradition to have come in the Aotea and Kurahaupo canoes. Maori religious ideas were brought from another environment and developed within New Zealand. Representations were imported and adapted to the local carving style which developed on it's own.' Pretty much a quote from the book. I have to research those canoes.

This one is after a Patu Paraoa (whalebone) from Maori Weapons.

Had a great day at the bench...hope you all did too!

Thanks for looking!

View Profile of Robin Send a personal message to Robin  Email Robin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-06 4:00 pm   Permalink

Dang those stones are beautiful things. I particularly
like the large tong one.

Wrists are still alittle sore. Numbness didn't last long.
Work also doesn't let them recover completely.

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
benella
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-07 04:40 am   Permalink

WOW Robin, these new ones are killer.
The hei tiki head will be a masterpiece for sure.
Where did you learn the things you do with the cords on the other ones ?

Benjamin.

View Profile of benella Send a personal message to benella  Goto the website of benella     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-07 4:43 pm   Permalink

Hi Seeksurf. Yeah boy, those stones will flat out get to you if you give them half a chance. Good to hear your hands and wrists are at least feeling a little better. Glad you like the Patu..those tongues are really fun to do and exaggerate, they say so much.

Hi Benjamin....Thank you! Glad you like. Hopefully I'll be able to draw out the warrior vibe.

I learned the lashing from books on rope and knots, mostly ones related to sailing. Sailors use them to join rope, and to finish the ends. Gordon Perry has a book called 'Knots' that really has good pictures. Stephen Mhyres' book on Bone carving has some good exanples as well, and I learned the four stranded braid from a kids project book on braiding I got from the library. Steve in Hokitika showed me some of the wrapping techniques. I WISH I could find some examples of how to do some of the lashing I've seen...it's like an art in itself. Are you going to try some?

Tamapoutini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-07 8:11 pm   Permalink

Kia ora Robin; glad to see you still have your nose to the grindstone (!..) and good to see that you are finding a niche or subject that you enjoy. The carved weapons lend themselves to jewellery very well eh?
You must have really soaked up the NZ/West Coast/Pounamu vibe while you were here - Im sure Ive said it before: its hard to believe that this work hasnt come out of a workshop just a few miles down the road. Theres just something familiar or nostalgic about your work, as opposed to many other non-NZ carvers of such that I have seen. You also achieve that elusive goal of carving an identifiable and pre-existing form, but still manage to imbibe it with your own style or recognisability: a Robin-Mere. So many carvers simply make 'just another'...

Ive always got my eye out for your posts. Keep up the good work!

Tama

View Profile of Tamapoutini Send a personal message to Tamapoutini  Email Tamapoutini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-08 10:37 am   Permalink

[quote]
On 2008-03-07 20:11, Tamapoutini wrote:
Kia ora Robin; glad to see you still have your nose to the grindstone (!..) and good to see that you are finding a niche or subject that you enjoy. The carved weapons lend themselves to jewellery very well eh?
You must have really soaked up the NZ/West Coast/Pounamu vibe while you were here - Im sure Ive said it before: its hard to believe that this work hasnt come out of a workshop just a few miles down the road. Theres just something familiar or nostalgic about your work, as opposed to many other non-NZ carvers of such that I have seen. You also achieve that elusive goal of carving an identifiable and pre-existing form, but still manage to imbibe it with your own style or recognisability: a Robin-Mere. So many carvers simply make 'just another'...

Ive always got my eye out for your posts. Keep up the good work!

Tama

Kia ora Tama...I was about to send out a search party! You have just paid me the biggest compliment ever! It is so important to me to show respect to these forms and be myself too. Find my way and expression with due respect to the spirit of these forms.....thank you so much!

They do indeed lend themselves to jewelry, and I'll never forget seeing men with about five pounds, maybe ten, of pounamu tokis around their necks..with no ostentation....just the authority to wear them...pretty cool.
New Zealand is a fabulous country, and I was so touched by my experiences with the people and the country. I gave some of my pebbles that I made into pendants to New Zealanders I met. They really treated them like Taonga....like I had given them something really special..that really meant something. And then they would lean over and let me put it around their necks. Then stand up and it was like we were brothers and sisters. It was great. The spirit really lives there. You're a lucky man. And yep...I'm pretty Maori intensive right now...I miss your country sometimes. Sometimes I don't know what it is....the stones, or to try and capture some of that vibe...carry it forward or with me.

Thanks again Tama...very inspiring.

GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-11 6:43 pm   Permalink

"You also achieve that elusive goal of carving an identifiable and pre-existing form, but still manage to imbibe it with your own style or recognisability: a Robin-Mere."

I agree; Tama has you all figured out. Nice work Robin. Glad to see you are working hard and making real progress. Love it!

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-12 12:15 pm   Permalink

Hey there.

GMAN Thank you thank you thank you! I'm glad you can see progress. Still a looooonnnnnggg way to go, and it's hard to see sometimes. I'm gaining some confidence with the tools....and a very healthy dose of respect for this material. Thanks Greg.

Little butt heads so far. Leaving more material to work with really helped, as well as good reference material.

Oh those lovely tongues...wait...what's wrong with me! Can I say that?

Wet looks better than dry.

Still quite a way to go on this one. Gotta carve the other side too. Symmetry is a problem for me. Working on seeing in 3d...and making the right moves at the right time.

Lots of time with wet hands...

Thanks for taking a peek.

R.

[ This Message was edited by: Robin 2008-03-12 12:17 ]

GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-12 12:18 pm   Permalink

Ahhhhhh! That's the ticket! Nice work! I bet you like these heads better, aye? Nothing works better that practice...

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-12 12:22 pm   Permalink

Well well Robin, I think you are Really doing Great with these Mini-clubs. I can't believe the small detail you are getting, Just plain Awesome. Love seeing all this mini stuff and the Butt-heads are really cracking me up. Cool stuff lady!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-12 3:55 pm   Permalink

Looks simply incredible to me.
The green is so dam purdy.

Robin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-13 4:55 pm   Permalink

Hey thanks GMAN, Benz and Seeksurf.

G. I like them a lot better. That first poor thing was really overworked. But I couldn't give up on him. Practice practice practice....is definitely the way. Thanks G.

Benz. Glad you're back a bit. Looking forward to Monday for your post...no pressure. The tiny is pretty fun. I have to keep reminding myself that people won't be looking at them through optivisors. Or will they? Thanks Benz for the awesome.

Seeks, Thanks for the incredible! The green stuff is definitely purdy. Sounds like you might be a candidate for these stones. You might just find yourself staring at them for hours, and being perfectly content doing it!

Thanks again guys, really appreciate your input.

R.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation