[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Tiki Heroes & Carvers of Yore
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
Tiki Heroes & Carvers of Yore
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-06 6:12 pm   Permalink

You beat me to it , but you're right (both of you), there's a pic of "Milano"/Milan Guanko on page 249 of the BoT.
That Eli Hedley story is great. The writing really evokes the era nicely:
Quote:
He began by sketching tiki from photographs and models in museums. When he had the feel of their design and structure, he chalked out designs on wood and began carving. But, except for some stone replicas of Easter Island's great stone faces, Hedley's tikis are not exact copies of any other gods in this world - though they could be set in a crowd of 1000 - year - old brethren without being recognized as intruders.

To me this perfectly sums up the spirit of creating tiki.

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-17 3:26 pm   Permalink

Great post, Pappy. A largely untold story that needs to be! Sven scratched the surface a good bit in the Book Of Tiki, but one could probably fill up a book in entirety with the golden age carvers. Ed Crissman is one of my personal faves, lord rest his crazy soul. These guys all deserve a place...they're why this is all here.

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-17 4:20 pm   Permalink

anyone ever notice this connection

-teaKEY

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
J.S.G.
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-08-17 4:41 pm   Permalink

a sweet post, indeed. hey pappy, I know McVay and wrote about him awhile back on here. Also, he is featured in my book art of chainsaw carving. he is still kickin, carving, in fact he wrote an article for a newsletter I started awhile back, the cutting edge... , it's a recent article, a tiki in seven easy pieces... you can check it out here... http://www.theccsg.com/newsletters/VolumeXIIIissueII.pdf

[ This Message was edited by: J.S.G. 2007-08-17 17:07 ]

View Profile of J.S.G. Send a personal message to J.S.G.  Email J.S.G. Goto the website of J.S.G.     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-05 4:44 pm   Permalink

Sorry I put this message in the wrong place, so I deleted the entire message. Message on collecting Tiki.

Enjoyed reading this though!

[ This Message was edited by: Robin 2007-09-06 10:21 ]

View Profile of Robin Send a personal message to Robin  Email Robin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bowana
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2007-09-06 8:21 pm   Permalink

I love this thread. Thanks for the history lessons, Pappy. Can't wait for the nexrt chapter!

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

View Profile of Bowana Send a personal message to Bowana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-28 8:26 pm   Permalink

Good stuff Pappy thanks for the read.

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation