FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving The Embellished Tiki
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
The Embellished Tiki
timidtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-22 11:48 am   Permalink

Sorry JanetMermaid - I haven't been here is awahile and didn't notice your question regarding the octopus in the skull bowl. It is a Pirates of the Caribbean item that I purchased at a local Disney Discout Store . . . about $6, I think.

View Profile of timidtiki Send a personal message to timidtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
timidtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-22 11:57 am   Permalink

Another revered piece of pounamu carved by a New Zealand artist and embellished by an irreverent Yank:

I call it "PacMan with Paua" . . . the paua being the tooth and the plastic bug-eyes just for Paipo's pleasure.

I think a very small shark tooth would be better, but I haven't found one . . . yet.

View Profile of timidtiki Send a personal message to timidtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
timidtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-28 11:28 am   Permalink

SHAMAN'S TALKING (WALKING) STICK:

I'm not sure I understand the use of a "talking stick" in the cultural traditions of different tribal groups, but I extracted the following statement from another web site: "Talking Sticks are used all over the world but is most famous within the Native American cultures. When sitting in a group to discuss issues or to share wisdom, each person is offered the Talking Stick. This is the symbol that you are being honored to speak and be heard without interruption. When the speaker is complete, and passes the Stick to the left, he says " AH Ho Mi Taquessa" and the group replies with "Ah Ho". This means that we honor your words to be the truth and you have been heard."

The Talking (Walking) Stick pictured below is a Native North American (Alaskan) carving made from fossil whale bone and appeared to me to have a somewhat "tiki" connection in that the stick viewed from above has the image of a face with a protruding tongue. The walking stick portion of this object is not complete but will be made of wood.

The images:

Shaman's Talking Stick (front)

Shaman's Talking Stick (top - with tongue)

Shaman's Talking (Walking) Stick (in hand for scale)

Does anyone have any insight on the "talking stick" tradition among the Maori?

Tamapoutini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-28 5:44 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-05-28 11:28, timidtiki wrote:

Does anyone have any insight on the "talking stick" tradition among the Maori?

Gee, youve exposed me here. Ive not spent a great deal of time on the Marae but can tell you that the carved walking cane often seen in the hand of older gents while speaking is known as a Tokotoko, but these are personal and generally not passed around (and usually as funtional as they are 'authoritive'). Used to good effect too - its easy to understand how they help with speaking when witnessed as the stick seems to amplify or add emphisis to the speakers words when florished. It can point, it can bang the floor, it can be intimidating, it can be referred to as the People itself.
I have heard of proper talking-sticks/'Rakau-Korero' that are passed around in the same way as the native American examples but cant say Ive ever seen one & am not sure in what context/situation they were used in Maori life.
The carved images adorning the rakau also help 'ground' the speaker to his roots, constantly reminding him of/for whom he speaks.. serious wood!

Hope ths helps

--

Yours has a happy expression. A Peace-Talking stick..? We could use a few more of those in the world..

Peace

View Profile of Tamapoutini Send a personal message to Tamapoutini  Email Tamapoutini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Toataiaha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-28 6:00 pm   Permalink

Aye , I have .
Tho only in informal discussion .
Its really great with kids , far better than shushing them all the time , less stressful
Have used an actual stick , a pencil , a ball , a guitar , anything really , and it keeps order .
Better that a chairman's gavel eh

View Profile of Toataiaha Send a personal message to Toataiaha      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
timidtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-03 09:04 am   Permalink

Thanks all . . . for the feedback and extra information on "talking sticks."

I tried to google the Maori term provided by Tama for talking stick - 'Rakau-Korero' - and got an interesting result: about a dozen hits, almost all of which were written in the Maori language. (Actually that is my guess as I cannot read Maori and Google didn't provide a translation.)

And, thanks for the suggestion of a "talking stick" or the equivalent for teachers. I'll pass that on to my children . . . three of whom are teachers.

timidtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-03 09:15 am   Permalink

. . . ahhh . . . that is better . . .

"PacMan with Paua" now has a little more "bite" as shown in this pic:

Here, I've removed my original paua shell tooth and replaced it with a section of tooth from a tiger shark. An unaltered (except for having been removed from the shark) tiger shark tooth is shown just to the right of what I'm now calling "Snaggle Tooth Pounamu PacMan."

[ This Message was edited by: timidtiki 2008-06-08 13:21 ]

[ This Message was edited by: timidtiki 2008-07-25 10:25 ]

timidtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-08 1:31 pm   Permalink

Same old bug eyed flower jade fish with tail (peacock feather) added -

Perhaps it looks a bit like the tropical fish with an "eye" image on the tail to confuse the predators.

timidtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-17 4:53 pm   Permalink

Remember this little guy (more pics earlier in this thread):

Well . . . how about a new guessing game? Discover his special secret (it is in the pics) and win a free prize (with free shipping to the winner). Post you guess when you have one in this thread. Hints will be posted as time passes . . .

Tamapoutini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-17 5:27 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-06-17 16:53, timidtiki wrote:

Well . . . how about a new guessing game? Discover his special secret (it is in the pics)

I guess its the happy Tik-face on his belly when viewed front on..? (tried cropping the photo to back up my claim but cant seem to change it from a gif to a jpeg file?)

note nipple eyes & smiling belly:

?

Tama

View Profile of Tamapoutini Send a personal message to Tamapoutini  Email Tamapoutini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-17 6:46 pm   Permalink

Mo, ai don't know...the secret of Easter Island?

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-17 9:35 pm   Permalink

I think Paipo has it. How did you see that if that is it?

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
timidtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-18 07:43 am   Permalink

HINT . . . HINT . . . HINT . . .

Good try Tama and Piapo, but no-no-no . . . you are not there yet.

Perhaps a little geneology might help:

1. Born in Hawaii
2. Rejected and moved to the mainland
3. Lived for a short period in Northern Europe
4. Back to the good old USA

Now concentrate on the first (pre-embellishment) pic.

What is my secret?

Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-18 08:32 am   Permalink

Well funny as it may be, it seems to me the Original was a female with the female goodies where there are now beanz, she must really be pissed!

myspace

[ This Message was edited by: Benzart 2008-06-18 08:41 ]

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
timidtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-18 08:48 am   Permalink

BenZart is the winner!!!!

Ben - Your a genius with a quick eye for detail, or did my hints make it too obvious?

He/she is, indeed, the world's first trans-gender tiki: born as a female in Hawaii, then a short stint in Norway after talking to Christine, and back to the USA.

Your prize will be posted next week . . . I think I still have your address.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation