FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Central Ohana Moving to Denton, TX on Saturday - any local TX Ohana?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Moving to Denton, TX on Saturday - any local TX Ohana?
Unkle John
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-20 08:29 am   Permalink

I'll be in Big-D Labor Day weekend, but I'm not sure If I can work out a meeting with anyone. LD weekend is like a huge b-day and wedding anniversary for myslef, my wahine and ohana. If I can get away for the day I'll email you all in the Dallas area (I think I have your phone # Dennis). We should plan a fall gathering in Dallas so we can meet our new TX ohana.

View Profile of Unkle John Send a personal message to Unkle John  Email Unkle John Goto the website of Unkle John     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SwampCreature
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-08-23 08:13 am   Permalink

My wife and I just moved to McKinney, not too far from Denton. Have seen no Tiki, besides our own, thus far. There is a real nice Downtown-Old Town area with some cool bars though. When we get settled, I'd love to have some people over for a good old fashioned Texas Tiki drink fest!!

View Profile of SwampCreature Send a personal message to SwampCreature      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unkle John
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-23 11:29 am   Permalink

Swampcreature,

Get ahold of Kenike (Dennis), he and his wahine live in McKinney as well.
You can find him at TV after work sometimes. Here's a reference pic:

(he's the one on the left, next to the handsome drunk)

I'm just a few hours from Big-D. Name the time and date and I will try to make it... possibly a crawl over to Kenike's joint as well?

Texas Tikiphiles Unite!

[ This Message was edited by: Unkle John 2007-08-23 11:33 ]

View Profile of Unkle John Send a personal message to Unkle John  Email Unkle John Goto the website of Unkle John     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SwampCreature
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-08-23 11:45 am   Permalink

Sounds like a plan. Almost have all the boxes emptied, kids are just about to start school, and our '63 T-Bird just arrived, so we're just about set. I am a musician(you might rembember me from such gems as: Dr. Beer, The Bermuda Triangle, Visitors From Space, or The Blue Panthers. Maybe not), an artist, and a drunk as well. I'm a pretty decent theremin player, too. I'll be in touch as soon as we get rid of all these damn boxes.

View Profile of SwampCreature Send a personal message to SwampCreature      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unkle John
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-23 6:13 pm   Permalink

Sweet, I play theremin (& washboard) in my band Outhouse Moan

suzanne
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-03 3:51 pm   Permalink

How did I space out on this thread?!

First of all, YES, Pea, get a ticket and come and see me! I've already laid plans for the home bar! I didn't get to go to the Shady Dell, but you and I will have to make a special trip there one of these days.

Formakahini: Yay! Thank you for posting and so good to hear from you! I am already thrilled about the music that is being made here - the Baroque and Classical opera opportunities I get to take part in are making me giddy, and just walking around in the halls and listening to some of the amazing jazz sneaking out from under studio doors is enough to make my heart flip, as it is really my second love. So far, also, it really seems as if the environment is a lot more positive and competitively encouraging than was my experience at Indiana. THANK YOU for the offer of your spare room and the adventure into your home bar! I'd be honored to even see it. We'll have to talk more when I find myself near Houston. Mahalo!

Unkle John: I didn't know there was a message board JUST for TX Ohana - that's fabulous! I'll swing over there for sure and I'll let you know if and when I locate any Texas Tiki that isn't already accounted for.

Diesel Tiki: Thanks for the welcome!

SwampCreature: I was just in McKinney yesterday.

To All: I would LOVE to meet you all in person. I am completely in for a local gathering! Please keep me updated! PMs here are great. Also, as soon as I manage to get my little bungalow furnished with something to sit on and I get my little bar built, I'd love to have an open house. Maybe we can plan a sort of home-bar crawl? (Give me a few months to get it all done, though! - Maybe we can shoot for the beginning of next year?)

YAY! Thanks for making me feel welcome!

Suzanne

View Profile of suzanne Send a personal message to suzanne  Goto the website of suzanne     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unkle John
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-04 10:16 am   Permalink

Good to see you Suzanne!

You missed the May 5th Gathering didn't you?

suzanne
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-04 3:24 pm   Permalink

May 5th? I just got to Texas a few weeks ago. Actually I arrived on Aug 15th, went back to CA for Oasis on the 16th, and didn't really get set up in Denton until the last few days of the month. Let me know when the next get together is though and I'll be there!

Suzanne

View Profile of suzanne Send a personal message to suzanne  Goto the website of suzanne     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kenike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-04 5:51 pm   Permalink

Take 35E south
East on 635
South on Dallas North Tollway
Exit Mockingbird, turn left
Trader Vic's is a couple of miles down on the right
Should take you about 50 minutes (on a Saturday)

Let us know when you're going and SwampCreature and I will see you there!

View Profile of Kenike Send a personal message to Kenike  Email Kenike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
suzanne
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-05 11:27 am   Permalink

Awesome. Will do. I'm broke now but hope not to be soon and I'll let you know!

Suzanne

suzanne
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-01 4:18 pm   Permalink

Attention Texantikiohana*!

I built my bar, and I'm planning on having a stock-the-bar party-- come over and enjoy the new Waitiki album as well as lots of other great tunes, have a few Beachcomber's Zombies or maybe a Puka Punch, and crash the bottle on the ol' new bar! I'm thinking sometime in the next few weeks as I don't want to wait too long to inaugurate her.

Let me know if you are interested in coming by and when might be good for you (I'm shooting for Oct 13th or 20th but that may change if I get picked up to work faire in Hillsboro).

Here's a photo of the bar:

Small, but the first time I've ever built a bar!

Suzanne

[ This Message was edited by: suzanne 2007-10-01 16:36 ]

suzanne
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-01 4:19 pm   Permalink

P.S. The * was to indicate that Texantikiohana, if not already a word, is one now!

Suzanne

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation