FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki Magazine people?
Magazine people?
KahunaMilu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-29 10:29 pm   Permalink

Has anyone here ever worked for a magazine?

View Profile of KahunaMilu Send a personal message to KahunaMilu      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGoddess
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-30 11:20 am   Permalink

Well, I work for a company that publishes trade mags for industry. No tiki possibilitis in the articles...

View Profile of TikiGoddess Send a personal message to TikiGoddess      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-30 11:25 am   Permalink

Yes, why?

View Profile of Kailuageoff Send a personal message to Kailuageoff  Email Kailuageoff     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KahunaMilu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-30 8:31 pm   Permalink

I had an idea for the bestest magazine ever and I have absolutely no idea how to go about making it, so I am casting a wide net for brains to pick. }:)

Like, probably, I should start as a small 'zine. I think there are guide books on that. Plus, I have some friends locally that do a tattoo magazine and can probably explain stuff to me.

Still, any suggestion on the how-to is greatly appreciated.

View Profile of KahunaMilu Send a personal message to KahunaMilu      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
the75stingray
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-31 06:54 am   Permalink

I don't actually work for a magazine, but I have had several articles published in professional publications (PI Magazine, Repossessor and a couple of others).

Depending on what kinda mag you're looking at, I would probably suggest that you accept articles from various "expert" sources on a particular topic.

Oh yeah, use lots of pictures...I like pictures!

View Profile of the75stingray Send a personal message to the75stingray      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
divychic
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-31 06:55 am   Permalink

My understanding is that there are small magazine print shops that make small magazines for many companies. I would look at some local small magazines in your area and look inside to see who printed it. Also alot of local newspapers offer that service also. Hope that helps...

View Profile of divychic Send a personal message to divychic  Email divychic     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-31 09:11 am   Permalink

send an e-mail to Otto, he's the resident expert on start-ups.
In a previous life I wrote for Automotive News and Autoweek, then moved on to public relations.

View Profile of Kailuageoff Send a personal message to Kailuageoff  Email Kailuageoff     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGoddess
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-31 10:29 am   Permalink

I do a zine on punk and indie rock in my spare time and I have some info on small publishers that can print your mag in a run with alot of others, to cut costs. Let me know if you want me to dig out the info for you.

View Profile of TikiGoddess Send a personal message to TikiGoddess      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aquarj
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2003-01-31 1:26 pm   Permalink

About zines, you've probably heard of the RE/Search "Zines" books, that chronicle some of the ones from recent years. Interesting and fun. Probably one of the best ways to get people to know about your zine is to advertise in the other related zines.

There are a bunch of zine-sters here on TC or within a degree of separation of this crowd (Tiki News, Continental, Point Break, Murder Can Be Fun, Cheeseball, etc.), some more active than others. Cool And Strange Music magazine
http://www.coolandstrange.com/ is a great model for a zine that's gotten consistently increasing readership, stocked in Tower stores now.

-Randy (who spent a summer working at the NY publisher of GAMES, Creative Ideas For Living, and Needlecraft For Today magazines)

View Profile of aquarj Send a personal message to aquarj  Goto the website of aquarj     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KahunaMilu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-02-01 09:48 am   Permalink

Thanks, everyone!

I will be contacting some of you Individually. }:)

Hoahele Howard
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-02-02 9:23 pm   Permalink

I worked for 4 years collectively for publishers of city magazines (Sarasota Magazine, Tampa Bay Magazine) and one trade magazine (Interactive Teacher) as a Creative Director, Art Director, and plain old bottom of the totem pole designer. I could probably answer production questions and give you some idea about costs, although the production manager typically took care of the numbers side of things.

View Profile of Hoahele Howard Send a personal message to Hoahele Howard      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2013-09-30 3:58 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-01-31 13:26, aquarj wrote:
About zines, you've probably heard of the RE/Search "Zines" books, that chronicle some of the ones from recent years. Interesting and fun. ...

Speaking of RE/Search publications, "Zines vol. II" has an interview with Otto von Stroheim. It was published 1997 and has a brief history of Tiki News, a couple photos and excerpts from Tiki News as well as the Tiki Manifesto. No modern Tiki bookshelf should be without this book.

Fortunately it's still available.

Directly from RE/Search:
http://www.researchpubs.com/

Amazon:
Zines Vol. II

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation