FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars Backyard Jungles
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
Backyard Jungles
fatuhiva
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-08 07:14 am   Permalink

Here are some recent pics of the backyard jungle here in Melbourne Beach, FL. Got some nice blooms this summer.. still need some more tikis out back

Post pics of your own backyard oasis- perhaps we can get a tiki landscaping thread goin.

rest of the pics are here:
http://www.tiki-shirts.com/gallery/album43

View Profile of fatuhiva Send a personal message to fatuhiva      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-08 07:27 am   Permalink

That's my kind of jungle. Thanks for taking the time.
Pics soon.

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-08 07:52 am   Permalink

Oh, sure. If you live in Florida! That's very nice. Way up here in Zone 6, tropical gardening is a bit harder!

A quick picture from a while ago. Just moved and the gardens started over this summer, with moving some things of course. Most of what is here is actually hardy and stays in the ground over winter. Golden Lotus Bananas, Trachycarpus Forunei palms, elephant ears, hostas, Gardenia. Everything is really taking off here in August. Some potted plants come in in winter and thrive. Some are dug up and winter inside and die back. The Blood Banana is nearly 5 feet tall now in its second year here and it died back in a pot in the basement over winter. The Musa Basjoo faired poorly oddly enough, outside. Only a foot tall and most died. Need to be better covered in the 14 degree winter time...

And a drought has meant the grass looks like crap. So, here's the "ugly" yard shot next to your great one to encourage more pictures!

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
fatuhiva
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-08 08:20 am   Permalink

yes, that is true- being in zone 10 makes things alot easier. Have you tried any of the cold hardy bamboos up there? I bet between some bamboo, some tree canopy and the kind of stuff you mentioned you are already working with, the various mulchable/protectable banana and alocasia/colocasia (elephant ear) you could get an insane jungle in zone 6.

There's a guy on ebay, goes by "aroidgrower" and he has alot of cool alocasias and colocasia that can take some cold

some of those caladiums can really get a lush look going in cold climates too- they just bust out of the ground once it warms up

Blood banana is a great one- doesnt get ridiculously big and the color of it is great. I'm suprised to hear that the basjoo gave you problems- probably just need to dump a pile of compost on it for the winter.. I've seen some of those way up north and they can get huge

Have you tried plumeria up there?

[ This Message was edited by: fatuhiva 2007-08-08 08:24 ]

View Profile of fatuhiva Send a personal message to fatuhiva      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-08 08:26 am   Permalink

Pffft. Zone 6! I wish! You've got it easy! Try zone 3!
I had to make my palm tree.

View Profile of Slacks Ferret Send a personal message to Slacks Ferret  Email Slacks Ferret     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-08 08:32 am   Permalink

fatuhiva: all I can say is WOW!

Luv all the tropicals right up on the edge of the pool - really nice!

View Profile of TheBigT Send a personal message to TheBigT      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-08 09:04 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-08-08 08:20, fatuhiva wrote:
yes, that is true- being in zone 10 makes things alot easier. Have you tried any of the cold hardy bamboos up there?

Yes! We have two types. One gets huge, like 5-6 inches in diameter, but hard to transplant the huge ones. I started some this year.

Quote:

I bet between some bamboo, some tree canopy and the kind of stuff you mentioned you are already working with, the various mulchable/protectable banana and alocasia/colocasia (elephant ear) you could get an insane jungle in zone 6.

There's a guy on ebay, goes by "aroidgrower" and he has alot of cool alocasias and colocasia that can take some cold

some of those caladiums can really get a lush look going in cold climates too- they just bust out of the ground once it warms up

There is a seller on Ebay that goes by hardytropicals and has good stuff. The shade garden is next years project and that's where the fern and caladiums will come in.
[/quote]

Quote:

Blood banana is a great one- doesnt get ridiculously big and the color of it is great. I'm suprised to hear that the basjoo gave you problems- probably just need to dump a pile of compost on it for the winter.. I've seen some of those way up north and they can get huge

There are stands of Musa Basjoo here in town that are 12-15 feet tall and the size of a bus. They are hardy here, but my young pups didn't get covered well enough in winter and went from 4 feet tall last summer (first year) to mostly dead. Better next year!

Quote:

Have you tried plumeria up there?

Yes, there is actually a Plumeria in there on the left in back. Second year with me and went from 1.5 feet tall to about 3.5 feet so far. Keep it in the pot and it dies back inside in winter and comes back. No flowers yet though.

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2007-08-08 7:48 pm   Permalink

Try NO-ZONE...that is my backyard....plants just commit suicide at my house. I do not have a green thumb. I am so jealous....that yard is awesome....love the palms.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2007-08-08 9:10 pm   Permalink

That may be the most beautiful backyard I've ever seen, it rivals the gardens I've seen in Hawaii. Yours looks perfect.

We tried to have a tropical feel to our backyard. We planted 16 banana trees. I noticed a pocket of water at the base of each leaf so I asked the mosquito abatement people here if that was a problem.

I was told that's why there are so many mosquitoes in the tropics. I was told to pick up a bottle of pills once a month and to drop them in the water pocket to kill the larva.

We had the trees removed, we have West Nile Virus in our area with horses dropping dead and didn't want to increase the chance of having more mosquitoes.

So we just live in Dan's jungle room of silk plants, there is always something to look at in that room.

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WooHooWahine
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-08-08 9:18 pm   Permalink

WOOOOHOOO! Fatuhiva ~ What a Tropical Paradise you have. So when's the luau??

View Profile of WooHooWahine Send a personal message to WooHooWahine  Email WooHooWahine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
greentikipat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-08 10:08 pm   Permalink

great thread!! i'll shoot some pics this weekend of my back(soon to be)paradise. no tikis yet, waiting for the right time to 'introduce' them. but they've been the plan from the begining, almost 3 yrs ago, when the place was bare.
your layout among what looks like a good sized yard is beautiful. the cannal out back reminds me of the old 'TIKI GARDENS' here in Indian Rocks Beach. my place would eventually fit a thread in 'tiki bars' or something like that; but i would like to start showing it before the bar/hut arises. thanks, mahalo!--pat
i used to live in melbourne; my daughter was born there!!

View Profile of greentikipat Send a personal message to greentikipat  Email greentikipat Goto the website of greentikipat     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
HelloTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-08 10:43 pm   Permalink

Cowabunga!! Great gardens. Very nice landscaping, and good taste is evident by placing the Monstera plants near the Tikis. Monsteras rule & should be the "Official Tiki" Plant.

View Profile of HelloTiki Send a personal message to HelloTiki  Email HelloTiki Goto the website of HelloTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-09 06:04 am   Permalink

Yep, I gotta say that those of us who garden, know how much work is in that yard fatuhiva. Love it! Gardening is an obsession, like what many here have. Collecting, gardening, buildnig a bar...

Monstera have been showing up around here at grocery stores and the big box places right with the regular philadendrons. I have 3 types of philadendrons and the Monsteras and the Monsteras are perhaps the hardiest. I wintered them in the basement under a light and they were fine. Lost almost no leaves. The leaves are getting pretty big now and maybe by next year will have that great second tier of cuts that really define the plant. They are low light plants, so, everyone needs them! They do get pretty big though.

Urban Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-09 06:11 am   Permalink

What a fabulous yard, Fatuhiva, and a great idea for a thread. I have great respect for your dedication- I'm sure a lot of work went into your paradise.

View Profile of Urban Tiki Send a personal message to Urban Tiki  Email Urban Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikinomad
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-09 06:49 am   Permalink

Fatuhiva's yard is looking sweet.......pure paradise!

Dan's jungle room is amazing, what a Tiki collection! I'd love to see both places in person......

I'm in an appartment in jersey so i only have a back porch, no yard
But in the summer we try our best to fill it with tropical plants and i bring a few of my larger tiki's out to get some sun...haha.

I like the fact that evereyone is trying to create there own little back yard/ porch paradise.........that's what it's all about.

View Profile of Tikinomad Send a personal message to Tikinomad  Email Tikinomad Goto the website of Tikinomad     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation