FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Ľ Ľ Home Tiki Bars Ľ Ľ Backyard Jungles
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
Backyard Jungles
Pele Paul
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-09-30 3:21 pm   Permalink

loving it all

View Profile of Pele Paul Send a personal message to Pele Paul  Email Pele Paul     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Prikli Pear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-10-02 6:57 pm   Permalink

One of these days I need to take a bunch of photos of the in-progress landscaping around my tiki build. But I'll share this now because I have it handy--I love passiflora, as I've stated earlier. Years ago, I traded for some exotic seeds. This plant grew from one of those. Through moves and neglect and other events, I lost it's ID and almost killed it more than once. It never flowered, but always came back from my abuse. The other day I was startled to find a half-dozen unexpected blooms by it. Turns out it's p. serratifolia. Not as free-flowering as more common types, but quite pretty, no?

View Profile of Prikli Pear Send a personal message to Prikli Pear  Goto the website of Prikli Pear     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2017-10-03 07:18 am   Permalink

Beautiful!

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mike and marie
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-10-09 1:16 pm   Permalink

Fantastic flower! What zone are you in?

Here in 6A our canna are still flowering. They're our version of the bird-of-paradise!

We had mock orange in bloom up until mid-September. Didn't get as much work in the backyard jungle as we hoped this year, but we still have a bamboo grove to plant before the first frost hits!

View Profile of mike and marie Send a personal message to mike and marie      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Prikli Pear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-10-09 8:16 pm   Permalink

Mike and Marie, I'm in 8B (possibly 9A, depending on which climate change map you look at) just slightly north of San Antonio. That serratifolia has to stay in a pot--it can't take even our mild winters. On the other hand, I've got in-ground passiflora incarnata (maypop), foetida var. gossipiifolia, caerulea (both blue and the white Constance Eliott types), Amethyst and Inspiration. I've also got vitifolia in a pot. I used to have a much larger passiflora collection, but I lost a bunch before our move three years back and haven't done much to rebuild. But I have plans. Eventually.

Cana are great! Very tropical regardless of zone. I have some in pots I bought as bulbs back in the spring, but never got around to planting. Some are developing seed heads. I'm hoping to get some "Pretoria" types for next spring. The varigrated leaves look fantastic. I also have an actual bird of paradise in the ground, as well as a plumeria. I'm going to wrap them with Christmas lights and cover with frost cloth this winter. We'll see if they make it.

And then I have this flower. The lights-and-frost cloth trick helped it through last winter. No idea what cultivar it is, since the place I got it from is notorious for mislabeling their plants. But it's still impressive.

View Profile of Prikli Pear Send a personal message to Prikli Pear  Goto the website of Prikli Pear     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-10-09 9:27 pm   Permalink

Hey Tex, Thatís a nice pic. Do they ripen and become edible?
Mahalo

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-10-10 06:58 am   Permalink

Zowie! That's awesome. Would love to see your garden some time.

View Profile of TheBigT Send a personal message to TheBigT  Goto the website of TheBigT     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Prikli Pear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-10-10 07:24 am   Permalink

In theory. I'm not sure if this particular type is edible. This one's parent plant bloomed last winter and while I covered and heated it, the bananas all got cigar end rot and went bad before they were mature. A different banana nearby fruited this summer, but since I'm new to the whole banana thing, I didn't realize they won't normally ripen on the plant. You have to cut them down before they'll get yellow and sweet. So I left them on too long and they started splitting. The ones I rescued were edible but not great. Hard to tell if that's because of the plant or because they were over-mature.

Some people are really into bananas. Check out
Bananas.org. I've since gotten blue Java (Ice cream), Rajapuri and two others I can't recall the names of at the moment (from a reputable dealer this time). I'd intended to plant them on the protected south side of our house in a dedicated tropical bed, but never quite got around to it. They're overgrown in their pots, so I need to repot them before sheltering them for winter. Hopefully, I'll get them in-ground come spring.

Regardless of fruit production, they really add to the tropical look. The Japanese Basjoo (fiber banana) produces inedible fruit, but is super cold tolerant and is an in-ground option for folks at least through Zone 7.

MadDogMike
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2017-10-10 08:00 am   Permalink

WOW!!! I need to try a banana someday for Zone 10a

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Prikli Pear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-10-10 08:09 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-10-10 08:00, MadDogMike wrote:
WOW!!! I need to try a banana someday for Zone 10a

10a? Mike, you can pretty much take your pick of any banana out there. As long as you keep them well-watered and fed, they should go nuts for you. Heck, you have the luxury of concerning yourself with size and ornamental value, whereas folks like me have to consider cold tolerance first and foremost.

MadDogMike
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2017-10-10 09:07 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-10-10 08:09, Prikli Pear wrote:
10a? Mike, you can pretty much take your pick of any banana out there...

Cool!!! I'll need one that grows to a maximum of 10 feet. Here on the Anvil of the Sun, anything with big green leaves has to grow in the shade and that's my patio ceiling height. Time for me to do some research!

nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-10-10 10:26 pm   Permalink

Mike, you might consider a dwarf banana or a red banana.
The dwarfs will only grow to 4-5 ft tall in a pot. My Red (4 years old) is in the ground and is about 12 ft. tall. In a container it will only grow to 8-9 ft., under a patio. Both are ornamentals so you still gotta go to the mrkt. for your banana fix. Also there are many varieties of bamboo that are under 10 ft. Stay away from dwarfs as they are really tiny and also stay away from the timber bamboo varieties. In the pic the red is in the foreground .
Itíll be going in the ground soon.

Cheers

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Prikli Pear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-10-11 06:36 am   Permalink

From what little I understand, "dwarf" as applied to bananas is a relative term. Dwarf bananas aren't a category unto themselves, but rather smaller versions of existing cultivars that arose through spontaneous mutation (aka "sports"). A dwarf could be anywhere from 3' tall to 12' tall, depending on the specific cultivar--ie they're significantly smaller than the parent plant. Fortunately, the names varieties are consistent within themselves. Dwarf Orinoco, for example, will always grow to roughly 6' tall. Dwarf Brazilian, 8'-10'. At least that's what I've gathered from the Bananas.org link above and various message boards I've lurked upon.

I got my most recent banana plants from
Green Earth Co. and have heard nothing but good things about them. Going Bananas also has a good reputation and stocks many rare banana cultivars. The cheapest online source is Florida Hill Nursery, but the plants they shipped me weren't what I ordered, and they're notorious for terrible customer service. Wish I'd known that before, but live and learn. Always Google-stalk companies for reputation before ordering (and not just Yelp, because that can be gamed pretty easily).

MadDogMike
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2017-10-11 07:57 am   Permalink

Thanks for the info guys. BTW, looks like Going Bananas is closed to clean up from the hurricane

mike and marie
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-10-16 8:15 pm   Permalink

Prikli Pear, that's some banana!

There is a guy down the street who grows and sells banana plants. In the spring he fills his front yard with them, it's an impressive tropical display all summer, and then around now he yanks em all up and wraps them and keeps them in the basement. Too much up and down and schlepping for us. I'm bringing one big pot of elephant ears in the house and the rest of the bulbs will winter in the garage with the cana.

We switched from burlap to
Wilt-Pruf a number of years ago. It's pretty fantastic stuff. Great for frostproofing, winter protection, even extends the life of Christmas trees.

Our basement has several sproutings of Bird of Paradise -- all plastic!

View Profile of mike and marie Send a personal message to mike and marie      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation