FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars Backyard Jungles
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
Backyard Jungles
mzoltarp
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-09 07:07 am   Permalink

I wish my backyard looked jungletastic like that! Good work. I suppose I could plant a bazillion palm trees because they aren't burned to death in the Bakersfield summer or killed by the usual several days of below freezing days in January.

View Profile of mzoltarp Send a personal message to mzoltarp  Goto the website of mzoltarp     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
fatuhiva
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-10 3:44 pm   Permalink

I actually haven't had a luau in the yard yet, but we think we'll be having one for our neighbors and friends next Spring.. what's funny is that when I moved into the neighborhood I was told that a woman up the street was from Tahiti- she had alot of tropicals in her yard, so I got to talking to her- turns out she is Kern's mom and her sister owns the Mai Kai- AND she was a dancer at the Mai Kai for many years (I have an old vintage MaiKai postcard with her in it) ..how's that for coincidence? We've now become good friends and trade plants all the time.. she still makes the MaiKai costumes by hand.

Anyway, she knows some folks who do the whole pigroast thing for luaus, they come you your place and dig the hole, wrap the food in banana leaves, the whole deal. So I'm thinking of doing that- it will be a great christening of the jungle.

Below is a picture of what I started with back in late 2002. The 2004 and 2005 hurricanes set things back quite a ways, so I probably could have gotten it to this state a year or two sooner had they not whacked everything back.

Re: Monstera- that is the quintessntial modernist/tiki/jungle plant for sure

I used to try and grow it indoors in Arizona, but I kept killing it- probably due to too much dryness. Now I know it a bit better. It actually likes a good deal of moisture in the soil. I wouldnt let it dry out. I've actually seen cuttings of it root in a vase of water and continue to put out new leaves.

Its know as a shade plant, but it can take a good deal of sunlight, and will get bigger faster that way. I just wouldn't put it out in all day direct sunlight if you like in a hot climate. If you can place it near a water feature like a pool or a pond, that is ideal as they love humidity.

When it comes to sun, in cooler climates, try putting it out in alot of sun or bright shade, and keeping it very moist. You will want to slowly acclimate it to the new conditions by moving it out gradually, but once its out in the sun or bright light, keep an eye on it- if the leaves get very bleached out and yellowy, thats too much sun- but if they stay pretty green, leave it there and watch it get big.

They like to climg things, so a totem or a tree to grow up is good- it also promotes the biggest leaves that way- and the big ones are the ones with the big holes which look cool.

I was trying to grow one inside in a shadier area and it was just growing soooo slow. I brought it outside, put it under a banana for some part day shade and let it get rained on all the time- its in a bullet planter with no drain holes, so i know it must be sitting in sog. Once I did that it started really busting a move.

[ This Message was edited by: fatuhiva 2007-08-10 15:47 ]

View Profile of fatuhiva Send a personal message to fatuhiva      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-11 01:14 am   Permalink

Nice to see you back.
Been taking any "other" photos lately, if you know what I mean, and I think you do?

When I get back home I'll throwdown with you on the tiki landscaping. I put in a Koi pond this year under the massive stand of Buddha Belly Bamboo and next to the tree fern. Our garden is kicking this year from all the recent rains. Night Blooming Jasmine. Birds of Paradise and Heleconia planted from seeds I got in Hawai'i.

...sigh... I miss it.

Anyway, your place looks great, fatuhiva. I know how hard it is to keep a sculpted look with tropicals in Florida.
I still want to trade a few things with you. I've got a few fairly rare gingers and some very healthy other tropicals including some very rare bromilliads I could split off in the fall.

(See folks, THAT is how you get an invite to a space coast pig roast.)

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-11 4:45 pm   Permalink

If you do that kalua pig in the imu, I will fly down to partake. MMmmm. Very nice.

I am going to move my smaller Monstera over into more sun as you say and see if it takes off. Bigger! Bigger!

Yeah, what Pablus says. Good to have you around here again.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
fatuhiva
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-11 10:27 pm   Permalink

Thanks guys

I almost forgot about those pictures- we oughta dig that thread up for a rerun hahaha

Pablus, I'm always down for a plant trade- especially heliconia, which I recall you said you had quite a few varities of

and I'll keep you all posted if/when the luau comes to fruition.

I was out putting some malibu landscaping lights in tonight and found a cool yellow ratsnake slithering through one of the trees in the middle of the night- that's as good as it gets if you ask me

[ This Message was edited by: fatuhiva 2007-08-11 22:33 ]

View Profile of fatuhiva Send a personal message to fatuhiva      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2007-08-12 09:07 am   Permalink

Very nice Fatuhiva! How big is that yard? Looks huge. After a record cold earlier in the season we lost several plumeria, bannanas, small king palms, hibiscus and this traveler palm. When I went out yesterday morning it had new growth at the base!

Plumeria also coming back,

Every leaf on this tree turned black and fell off leaving a 15' tall stick. I have learned not to dig everything out as it may come back.

We had these Heleiconia in pots for years and they are finally blooming after a year in the ground.

All 7 Koi are doing good...1 year old and about 8" long.

My favorite spot...on the couch in the Rincon Room.

Still working on these areas....

Aloha!

View Profile of bongofury Send a personal message to bongofury  Email bongofury     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. NoNaMe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-12 09:26 am   Permalink

Here is a pic of the view from our lanai if the blinds are rolled up.
Someday they will finish (2010 I suspect). I mean finish the remodel. The back yard is done. Finally they asked their tenant that lived in the shed to leave. Nice guy. Peed a lot just in front of the camper, but nice.

View Profile of Mr. NoNaMe Send a personal message to Mr. NoNaMe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-12 09:57 am   Permalink

Ron, good to hear from you! And to SEE what little paradise you have carved out for yourself, again! Some people just have a hand for that (or a green thumb). That's how my yard SHOULD look, but being out of the country regularly has made it futile for me to try. And when I am here I am so busy with all this other stuff. AND.....(excuses excuses)

Brian and Ron's yards are the perfect proof why Polynesia Americana did so well in Florida and California. Just ad a little water, and -POOF- you have your tropical jungle!

But then again, that is why tropical hideaways in other, non-tropical climate blessed states are just as ingenious: Fake palm trees and plastic foliage increase the level of artifice that is the essence of Polynesian pop.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
diesel tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-08-12 10:36 am   Permalink

Wow!! I see all these fantastic yards and I run outside to see ....my jungle beds overrun with grass and weeds!!! Damn!! I'll go clean them out and take some pics. Wish me luck...it's a red ozone day today with highs expected to be over 100!!!

View Profile of diesel tiki Send a personal message to diesel tiki  Email diesel tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-01 10:28 pm   Permalink

here's some partial views of my lair

stream

nightview

last but not least...me after a night at Fashion Island Newport Beach.....shiste, I mean Forbidden Island Alameda. No really not me, just my brother Nick.

It's all a work-in-progress, including me.....er Nick.

[ This Message was edited by: Jungle Trader 2007-09-01 22:32 ]

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2007-09-02 12:12 am   Permalink

Gorgeous....not Nick....the yard!!!

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-03 5:11 pm   Permalink

Here is my "tropical" garden. Not as nice as some of you lucky southerners. We are North of Detroit Michigan Zone 5.--we usually see -10F at least once a year.

The elephant ear leaves are about 2 ft long.

[ This Message was edited by: JohnnyP 2007-09-03 17:33 ]

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bongo Bungalow
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-03 5:16 pm   Permalink

Looks great Johnny! I looked hard to find some tikis amoung that great foliage and didn't spot any though. Is the garden ready for some statuary?

View Profile of Bongo Bungalow Send a personal message to Bongo Bungalow  Email Bongo Bungalow Goto the website of Bongo Bungalow     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Matt Reese
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-10 9:43 pm   Permalink

Bump.
Since things are growing pretty good this time of year.
Anybody got good jungle growing?

View Profile of Matt Reese Send a personal message to Matt Reese  Email Matt Reese     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKI DAVID
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-11 03:35 am   Permalink

View Profile of TIKI DAVID Send a personal message to TIKI DAVID  Email TIKI DAVID     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation