FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars Backyard Jungles
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
Backyard Jungles
Polly
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-08 6:08 pm   Permalink

Wow really beautiful backyard!
I love your place.
Why I never saw this post before...

View Profile of Polly Send a personal message to Polly  Goto the website of Polly     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2011-05-31 9:11 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-05-05 17:06, MadDogMike wrote:
I picked up a bamboo shoot at a local Asian market, it was in the produce section but I'm not sure exactly how you would eat it It was actually one of the smallest ones! It has some little dots/bumps around the base that look they would sprout into roots - will it grow if I plant it?

Well it's been 3 weeks since I planted my bamboo shoot and I gently pulled it up tonight to see rooting progress. I looked carefully and saw a little white root - then it moved! It wasn't a root at all but some sort of worm/maggot! . I guess that experiment didn't work out But it wasn't for lack of proper conditions - the piece of ginger root I planted at the same time is taking root.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BackyardExotica

Posted: 2011-09-01 12:07 am   Permalink

I have a tropical gardening blog (Backyard Exotica) to document my own experiences 'tropicalifying' my Southern California apartment garden. (Yeah, I'm one of the lucky few apartment dwellers with a garden!) I'm not necessarily a tropical gardening expert, but I've been learning a lot as I go along and loving every minute of it. Here are a few before/after photos of my garden.

Ron Sawyer
www.backyardexotica.com

[ This Message was edited by: BackyardExotica 2011-09-01 00:23 ]

View Profile of BackyardExotica Send a personal message to BackyardExotica  Email BackyardExotica Goto the website of BackyardExotica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-01 10:44 am   Permalink

Liking it!

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mymotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-01 3:57 pm   Permalink

LOL Grog! You are such a busy Grog helping people out with their jungle yards. I just found some of that very stuff in a freezer, but it wasn't my freezer.

View Profile of mymotiki Send a personal message to mymotiki  Email mymotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2011-09-01 4:33 pm   Permalink

Welcome to Tiki Central Ron, great looking garden

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-01 4:52 pm   Permalink

My yard sucks...

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
howlinowl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-02 07:58 am   Permalink

Cool yards. No pics of mine....I've just started planting stuff around. Bought a papaya from the store and harvested the seeds from it. Sprouted a bunch of them and now I have about 17 waist size papaya plants scattered around the yard. They grow fast and should start producing fruit after about 8 months. Bought 5 small finger banana sprouts from a guy in the neighborhood who has a yard full of them. Also sprouted an avocado pit and transplanted that in the yard, it's one of the large smooth skinned ones that they grow here in Florida...not the bumpy small skinned ones they grow in Cali. About 20 pineapple growing in a plot by the house, got 4 fruit off them last year, but only one this year.

Got an accidental watermelon plant....noticed it growing by the compost bin and just let it go. A seed must of gotten loose during composting and started growing. Got one melon on it.

We have a calimansi tree (what they call it in the Philippines, where my wife is from...think it's called a calamodin or something like that here), it's a few years old, but hasn't produced any fruit or flowers yet. Wife bought it from the local Filipino store, so it may have been started from seed and just not mature yet. May buy another from a nursery so we have one that produces.

howlinowl

(edited to correct spelling)

[ This Message was edited by: howlinowl 2011-09-02 08:00 ]

View Profile of howlinowl Send a personal message to howlinowl      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2011-09-02 10:18 am   Permalink

I had a papaya tree I planted last summer that was growing like a weed. We had an unusually cold winter that killed it in spite of my blankets and lightbulbs. I started to buy another one this spring and then I said "Wait a minute, I don't even LIKE papaya!" So I bought a fig instead

lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-02 11:37 am   Permalink

Figs? Did you know that most of those crunchy things in fig newtons are actually parts of a wasp?

Nice.

Anyway, HELLO MDM, my friend!

I AM A SOCIOPATH!

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-02 1:03 pm   Permalink

Fig trees also have a very strong odor......

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-05 9:25 pm   Permalink

We have tones of White Ginger growing that smells way better than any mainland plumeria. The root is similar to ginger in the veggie section. I'm chicken to try/eat it though.

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
https://www.facebook.com/bamboo.ben

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BackyardExotica

Posted: 2011-09-11 01:17 am   Permalink

Mmm, white ginger sounds really nice. I've got some sort of ginger plant that I recently started growing from a bulb that I purchased at the garden show at South Coast Plaza this past Spring. It's growing nicely but no flowers yet.

View Profile of BackyardExotica Send a personal message to BackyardExotica  Email BackyardExotica Goto the website of BackyardExotica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BackyardExotica

Posted: 2011-09-11 10:59 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-09-01 16:52, hang10tiki wrote:
My yard sucks...

Just throw a few banana and alocasia plants back there and they'll soon take over.
Your climate is ideal.

tikicoma
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2011-09-15 10:54 pm   Permalink

From the tropics of Tacoma, O.K. so the last three summers have been colder than normal and the last three winters have been freakish, but I'm still trying to grow my own paradise. Excuse the puny bananas we've had no heat. (and my over numerous pics)

don't know the name of this ginger but it's bloomed every year for the last 12 years.

new garden area with pindo palms

aloha, tikicoma

[ This Message was edited by: tikicoma 2011-09-15 23:53 ]

[ This Message was edited by: tikicoma 2011-09-16 10:11 ]

View Profile of tikicoma Send a personal message to tikicoma      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation