FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Home Tiki Bars » » Backyard Jungles
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 )
Backyard Jungles
tikitube
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2017-10-16 10:37 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-10-02 18:57, Prikli Pear wrote:
One of these days I need to take a bunch of photos of the in-progress landscaping around my tiki build. But I'll share this now because I have it handy--I love passiflora, as I've stated earlier. Years ago, I traded for some exotic seeds. This plant grew from one of those. Through moves and neglect and other events, I lost it's ID and almost killed it more than once. It never flowered, but always came back from my abuse. The other day I was startled to find a half-dozen unexpected blooms by it. Turns out it's p. serratifolia. Not as free-flowering as more common types, but quite pretty, no?

We get something similar growing wild all around our house. The locals call it wild apricot or passionflower.

[ This Message was edited by: tikitube 2017-10-17 08:20 ]

View Profile of tikitube Send a personal message to tikitube      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-10-16 10:55 pm   Permalink

There are many varieties of pitcher plants (nepenthes) from Madagascar to New Guinea.I bought this one from the “Sick Bay” shelves at my local Lowe’s Hardware.I won’t know what I have til I get new Pitchers. I cut off the worst of the plant, watered it and it looked much better this morning. We’ll see what it looks like in the spring. interesting “conversation plant for a bright spot in your patio (no direct sun) No,don’t try the liquid that’s in the picther in a cocktail.
Cheers

Before cleanup

After

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2018-04-04 09:36 am   Permalink

Doesn't really fit in this thread but I thought it was interesting and worth sharing. There is a two headed fan in my town, not sure how that happened but the second head must have started at a sucker? Pictured beside one of it's normal brothers

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Prikli Pear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-04-04 10:29 am   Permalink

[quote]
On 2017-10-16 22:37, tikitube wrote:
Quote:

We get something similar growing wild all around our house. The locals call it wild apricot or passionflower.

[ This Message was edited by: tikitube 2017-10-17 08:20 ]

Sorry I didn't see your response earlier! That's passiflora incarnata, aka maypop, a native passion flower with edible fruit (not quite a flavorful as the commercially-grown fruit from the tropics, but still quite nice). Their native range is from Central Texas up through the Ohio River Valley across to the East Coast. I have them growing happily (and spreading) in my yard, despite the fact that I'm technically west of its native range. Excellent tropicalesque plant to have.
www.JaymeBlaschke.com

View Profile of Prikli Pear Send a personal message to Prikli Pear  Email Prikli Pear Goto the website of Prikli Pear     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Prikli Pear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-04-04 10:35 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2018-04-04 09:36, MadDogMike wrote:
Doesn't really fit in this thread but I thought it was interesting and worth sharing. There is a two headed fan in my town, not sure how that happened but the second head must have started at a sucker? Pictured beside one of it's normal brothers

Wow, Mike, I've never seen a palm split like that. As I understand it, they grow from a single core (heart of palm) and I don't believe there's any natural mechanism for them to branch like that. I'm no arborist, but I'd guess that either 1) the heart was damaged somehow, divided at the growth tip, and once it recovered began putting out two new growth tips, or 2) a seed got wedged against the trunk and germinated, eventually fusing with the parent tree in a kind of natural grafting. Regardless, that's a one-of-a-kind!
www.JaymeBlaschke.com

View Profile of Prikli Pear Send a personal message to Prikli Pear  Email Prikli Pear Goto the website of Prikli Pear     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mike and marie
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-04-04 2:35 pm   Permalink

Reminds us of those 50s films about radiation testing leading to two-headed monsters and giant beasts!

View Profile of mike and marie Send a personal message to mike and marie      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2018-04-05 08:54 am   Permalink

This one is around the corner from my parent's house. This one is obviously a sucker although suckers are usually at the bottom. I wonder if it would grow to look like the other one if the conditions were right?

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TU
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-04-10 4:27 pm   Permalink

Here is the start of my backyard tiki jungle...the Honu Lagoon.

If you live or visit Las Vegas drop me a line and come over for a cocktail.

A nice flower from my new hibiscus.

mix it with rum

[ This Message was edited by: TU 2018-04-15 12:24 ]

View Profile of TU Send a personal message to TU      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation