FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars Backyard Jungles
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 )
Backyard Jungles
Feelin' Zombified
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-02-19 12:51 pm   Permalink

Paradis du Zombi...

-Z

Thank God The Tiki Bar Is Open
Thank God The Tiki Torch Still Shines...

View Profile of Feelin' Zombified Send a personal message to Feelin' Zombified  Email Feelin' Zombified     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mike and marie
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-02-21 6:15 pm   Permalink

Love this thread, especially all the photos...

Our favorite plants for northern tropic gardening: yucca, elephant ears, potted taro, bamboo, horsetail, coral bells, hens and chicks, decorative grasses, cana bulbs, irises. And plenty of plastic palms!

View Profile of mike and marie Send a personal message to mike and marie      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-04-01 10:37 am   Permalink

My front-yard jungle, well not really a jungle but a lot of flowers have popped up since we had such a nice rainy season.

In the back yard my mint is doing real well

Lots of flowers on my grapefruit tree this year, I still have one grapefruit left on the tree

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Will carve
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-04-02 03:33 am   Permalink

Hilda,
Your yard is a-bloom.
Nice.

View Profile of Will carve Send a personal message to Will carve      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2017-04-09 8:49 pm   Permalink

Gorgeous yards and love all the pools. The only tropical thing I have in my yard is Sago Palms, they love their space. My backyard belongs to the dogs so no way of having anything there. They continue to tear up the sprinkler system so it is a lost cause.

Keep on growing all you happy gardeners, it is fun to live through your pictures.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Prikli Pear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-04-10 11:47 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-04-09 20:49, VampiressRN wrote:
The only tropical thing I have in my yard is Sago Palms, they love their space. My backyard belongs to the dogs so no way of having anything there.

Vampiress, I hate to be the bringer of bad news, but Sago Palms are highly toxic, particularly to dogs. If you have a male plant, that's not as serious a concern (unless the dogs like chewing on the fronds, which I wouldn't expect), but the female plants produce lots and lots of walnut-sized seeds that dogs (sometimes) love to chew on. The previous owners of our house planted quite a few, which is fine, but one was in the backyard with our dogs. I just dug it up last week and have put it on CL.

View Profile of Prikli Pear Send a personal message to Prikli Pear  Goto the website of Prikli Pear     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-04-29 11:08 pm   Permalink

One of my hibiscus went crazy this year as well as my Monstera Deliciosa (rht,) and a Platycerium Veitchii- one of 18 varieties of Staghorn ferns.

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Prikli Pear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-06-15 2:04 pm   Permalink

In my never-ending quest to find tropical-looking plants that are suitable for my Central Texas climate (ie tolerant of 100F-plus summer temperatures, 20F winter lows and perpetual drought interrupted by occasional flooding) I came across this PDF book by the good folks in Texas A&M's horticultural department. Granted, it paints in very broad strokes, and I have specific problems with their passiflora section, but it's a good reference for folks throughout the south striving for a more tropical look to their yards.

Alas, for my use it is limited. It seems focused more on East Texas, which is a lot wetter than my area.

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/galveston/publications/Creating-the-Tropical-Look.pdf

View Profile of Prikli Pear Send a personal message to Prikli Pear  Goto the website of Prikli Pear     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation