FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Tiki Central Special: TIKI MODERN sneak preview
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Tiki Central Special: TIKI MODERN sneak preview
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-12 1:49 pm   Permalink

Size comparison TIKI MODERN vs BOOK OF TIKI

Thickness comparison....is bigger necessarily better?

Texture of cloth cover! Hmmmmmm!:

Witco World end pages. Aaaaaah!:

(We had to squeeze it a lil for it to fit)

Witco wood divider pages. Oooooooh! No not real wood, just a photo of it.

(close up of Outrigger sail)

The evolution of pop primitivism: From primitve art to modern art to popular graphics and decor:

Possibly the mother of all Polynesian A-frames:

The Hula girl's history:

Tiki TV:

Hala Kahiki etc:

Witco characters:

That's all, folks!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sophista-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-12 1:55 pm   Permalink

OMG Im gonna pee myself!!!!!!!

View Profile of Sophista-tiki Send a personal message to Sophista-tiki  Email Sophista-tiki Goto the website of Sophista-tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Lion
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-12 2:27 pm   Permalink

I'm gonna need a new motherboard on my laptop - this one's all drooled on...

All hail BigBroTiki, who has again proven his worthiness to be our Tiki God!

View Profile of Tiki Lion Send a personal message to Tiki Lion      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKI DAVID
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-12 2:29 pm   Permalink

DAMN! Very much worth the wait.

View Profile of TIKI DAVID Send a personal message to TIKI DAVID  Email TIKI DAVID     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-12 3:27 pm   Permalink

BigBro: What time period would you say a MODERN TIKI would be.

Love those first couple of photographs. Witco wood.

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-12 4:02 pm   Permalink

I think my Witco hanging behind my bar may be looking over my shoulder at the computer screen! The book looks fantastic. Can't wait!

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MrBaliHai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-12 4:03 pm   Permalink

Congratulations, Sven. Looks like another instant classic! I gave you a nice plug over at PCL.

View Profile of MrBaliHai Send a personal message to MrBaliHai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki_kiliki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-12 4:04 pm   Permalink

Sven - marvelous, simply marvelous. I'm already pre-ordered and can't wait my friend.

The Hukilau

The Most Authentic Tiki Event in the World and the Official Event Honoring the Mai-Kai est. 1956

View Profile of tiki_kiliki Send a personal message to tiki_kiliki  Email tiki_kiliki Goto the website of tiki_kiliki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-12 4:28 pm   Permalink

Thank you everyone! I am glad that I could deliver.

Quote:

On 2007-08-12 15:27, teaKEY wrote:
BigBro: What time period would you say a MODERN TIKI would be.

Can't answer that in a one period time frame. Strictly speaking, the mid-50s to mid-60s were Tiki Modern's heyday, but that does not apply to stuff like Witco, which even in the early 1970s was still influenced by the mid-century modernism that the generation of post war artists like William Westenhaver were formed by. He continued to work in that style even after it was not in fashion any more.

Now it is being appreciated again. So even today I could call a just sculpted Tiki very "Tiki Modern", because it combines certain elements of Cubist, moderne and primitive stylization that were inherent in both: Original primitive art, and also in works from the 50s and 60s. I am talking about simplicity, elegant lines, and a certain degree of abstraction. I do not have a catalog of these elements for easy do-it-yourself, I just look and see.

Examples:

Tiki Modern mask, 1960s

Tiki Modern mask, 2002

Not Tiki Modern, simply Tiki

...I don't own any of the toothy grin or growl Tikis that overflow the Tiki revival nowadays. I consider these "Cartoon Tiki"....which is not my preferred style.

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2007-08-12 16:34 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kenike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-12 4:29 pm   Permalink

Is Amazon the best place to pre-order?

View Profile of Kenike Send a personal message to Kenike  Email Kenike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-12 4:40 pm   Permalink

I would say so, yes, they have a price that nobody can beat. Even I, intending to sell it myself eventually, for the Christmas season, will have to ask the regular store price that can only be made competitive by my author's signature.

jpmartdog
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-12 5:01 pm   Permalink

Gimmee, gimmee, gimmeee - can't wait to get my grubby hands on it! Congratulations BBT! Your tease pics look beautiful!

View Profile of jpmartdog Send a personal message to jpmartdog  Email jpmartdog Goto the website of jpmartdog     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Karbora
Grand Member (5 years)  

Posted: 2007-08-12 7:34 pm   Permalink

Sven-

This is ultra mega exciting news. Thanks for the sneak peek.....those images definately have me wanting for more! Congratulations to you on this thrilling accomplishment. I know it has been a test of endurance. Come on September.......

Karbora

View Profile of Karbora Send a personal message to Karbora      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rugbymatt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-12 7:42 pm   Permalink

Danke Sehr, Grosse Bruder Tiki. Lesenfernungen!

View Profile of rugbymatt Send a personal message to rugbymatt  Email rugbymatt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-12 7:59 pm   Permalink

Finally!!!

As soon as Tiki Modern is out of the closet, the Witco Bar in my shop will be for sale. 400.00 and it's yours! It was made for a female olympic swimmer back in the day. Lot's of history!!

Cool Beans Sven!

Bamboo Ben
Tiki Bars I've designed/built. TikiCat, Royal Hawaiian, Kona Club, Frankie's Tiki Room, Pacific Seas, Don the Beachcomber,Forbidden Island, Kon Tiki Tucson, Tiki No,etc....

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation