FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » Tiki Central Special: TIKI MODERN sneak preview
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Tiki Central Special: TIKI MODERN sneak preview
Bail Tekey
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-08-20 05:01 am   Permalink

Cannot Wait!!!!!!

View Profile of Bail Tekey Send a personal message to Bail Tekey      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-20 10:40 am   Permalink

According to Amazon, TM is doing well with Germans!

#11 in Books > Nonfiction > Foreign Language Nonfiction > German
#37 in Decorating!

"Mai-Kai: History & Mystery of the Iconic Tiki Restaurant" the book

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2007-08-20 12:55 pm   Permalink

Hubba hubba! I want mine!

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kick_the_reverb
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-20 5:31 pm   Permalink

The new book is really impressive, even my daughter thought so - she wouldn't give it back...

Ran

View Profile of kick_the_reverb Send a personal message to kick_the_reverb  Email kick_the_reverb Goto the website of kick_the_reverb     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-20 7:50 pm   Permalink

Sven rocks!

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-21 11:11 am   Permalink

Thanks everybody! I just talked to Bill Westenhaver on the phone, he got an advance copy this weekend. He is doing great at 83, going on a little Alaska cruise tomorrow with his new lady friend, and told me that he "got to thinking that it is nice to leave a little foot print" with the help of this book. I really would have loved to have been there when he got it and opened it!

To see the old timers get their due recognition, like Bob and Leroy at Oceanic Arts did through the Book of Tiki, or Bob Esmino and Ray Barrientos did at last weekend's Tiki Oasis through Jeff Berry's work, is one of the most rewarding aspects of doing Tiki archeology.

I hope that I will be able somehow to have book signing events together with Bill Westenhaver, the end of this or the beginning of next year, perhaps in Seattle and, one that must be done: At the Hala Kahiki in Chicago. This man needs to see that place as long as he is still around!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
missy_tassles
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-08-23 09:10 am   Permalink

i can't wait - it looks GORGEOUS! I ordered mine way back in May from Amazon UK, so am now even more anxiously waiting

View Profile of missy_tassles Send a personal message to missy_tassles  Goto the website of missy_tassles     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-23 7:37 pm   Permalink

Oh Kayyyy....boy I had some fun on Tiki Central today! Time to lay off the sauce, I have a life, too, you know!

Just one last post, an actual bit of conversation, a Calvin and Hobbes moment with my son Diego, which occurred at lunch in the kitchen today, where TIKI MODERN has been lying around for a while:

Dad: "Here, while you wait for your sandwich, show some interest and look at my new book!"

Son: "OK!".....(he does)

Dad: "Hey, you are not looking at every page one by one!"

Son: "Pop! I am fifteen! I don't GET art for another......SEVEN YEARS!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-23 8:38 pm   Permalink

SO make sure you put a copy aside for him until he reaches the age of enlightenment. I preordered my copy yesterday and like everyone else...I can't wait to see it.

View Profile of 8FT Tiki Send a personal message to 8FT Tiki  Email 8FT Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-24 5:38 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-08-20 17:31, kick_the_reverb wrote:
The new book is really impressive, even my daughter thought so - she wouldn't give it back...
Ran

"Gimme BICK BOOK!"

"Oooooh!"

"Eeeeeh!"

Matahina

Posted: 2007-08-25 12:59 pm   Permalink

The new bible - and I´ve got it - I am so delighted and happy !!! Today is my lucky day I guess - maybe luck comes to true aficionados sometimes...

I fell in love with the first bible ("The book of Tiki") in 2001 - I will never forget this hot summer day and the happiness and joy to see this perfect book - the true urban archeologist found all those treasures and put all this work together to create this perfectly designed book....created a wave of enthusiasm, aficionados all over the world - a reinvention and brought back to life what nearly seemed forgotten....

Been waiting for the second edition ever since.....been ringing the shop if it´s already there... and today..suddenly and unexpected... - there it was....on a summer´s day in 2007. A new chapter begins - a new love and treasured book for all of us - more creativity, polynesian pop dreams and architecture, illustration, people and fantasies and realities on our minds....thank you so much Sven A. Kirsten for your dedication, love and work.

View Profile of Matahina Send a personal message to Matahina  Goto the website of Matahina     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
missy_tassles
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-09-02 11:05 am   Permalink

AAAAAAAAAARGHHHHHH!!

i just got a message from Amazon (UK) to say delivery of my copy has been put back to OCTOBER!!

What's going ON?!!!

these pic above are just teasing me now

View Profile of missy_tassles Send a personal message to missy_tassles  Goto the website of missy_tassles     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-02 1:39 pm   Permalink

That worries me. If they are supposed to be available for my booksigning tour in Germany/Switzerland by mid September, why would it take that long for the UK to get them...?
I will inquire.

nimereht
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-09-02 1:45 pm   Permalink

also, amazon says available in sept, and barnes and noble's website says the middle of october?

View Profile of nimereht Send a personal message to nimereht  Goto the website of nimereht     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-02 2:47 pm   Permalink

Well, TASCHEN feels sure enough to have them there by mid-September, or else they would have told us not to schedule the Euro book tour for the two last weekends of September. They and I cannot know how and why Amazon and other stores schedule their dates...but I will inquire if everything is going according to schedule and post the answer here.

I doubt though that they have contact with the slow boat from China that the books are on...I imagine it to be a ship like this:

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation