FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Don the Beachcomber (Hollywood), Hollywood, CA (restaurant)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Don the Beachcomber (Hollywood), Hollywood, CA (restaurant)
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-13 7:31 pm   Permalink

Name:Don the Beachcomber (Hollywood)
Type:restaurant
Street:North McCadden Place
City:Hollywood
State:CA
Zip:
Phone:

Description:
(from the Van Nuys Valley News 16 October 1971)

Little Bit of Polynesia
Tropical Settings Mark Beachcombers

The first Don the Beachcomber restaurant opened in Hollywood in 1934 where a little bit of Polynesia was created to combine drinks of rum and the Cantonese food of ancient China.
Interesting lighting, walls of bamboo, coconut, tree posts, intricate carvings and thatched ceilings help to create a tropical atmosphere.
Don the Beachcomber has long been known for his Navy Grog, Zombie, Missionary's Downfall and Pi Yi, all drink concoctions for the exotic tastes. With these libations, the restaurant offers a variety of appetizers, including Tapa Tapa (tenderloin of beef, skewered in slender bamboo spears, marinated in Chinese spices and broiled), Chinese barbecued tenderloin of pork slices, barbecued baby loin ribs, fried shrimp, egg roll, rumaki and crab puffs.
Cantonese cooking is used to prepare such dishes of varied origins as lobster Hong Kong, pork Cantonese, king crab Chungking, chicken Manuu of beef osyter. (sic)
American entrees, Polynesian style are served.
Steak Bora Bora, Australian lobster tail, Pacific Mahi Mahi, broiled New York steak and barbecued chicken are among the most popular.
The second Don the Beachcomber opened in Palm Springs in 1953, followed by dineries in Las Vegas' Hotel Sahara in 1962, the St. Paul Hilton in 1966, Corona del Mar in 1969, Marina Del Rey in March 1970 and the latest addition in Harbor Island in June 1970.
King Y. Wong is president of Don the Beachcomber restaurants.
Don the Beachcomber in Palm Springs was completely refurbished with carpeting, new coral, leather booths, additional comfortable seating in the lounge area, completely repainted exterior and a new entrance complimented by exotic landscaping.

[ This Message was edited by: pappythesailor 2007-08-13 19:35 ]

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-13 7:34 pm   Permalink

(from the Van Nuys News 30 March 1973)

Don the Beachcomber Marks 40th Year

It began as a virtual
hole in the wall that
tiny bar Donn Beach
opened in Hollywood. The
year was 1933 and now
some four decades later
Don The Beachcomber remains
and flourishes as
one of America's premier
Polynesian restaurants, a
spokesman said.
Soft lights, tropical wat-
er falls, native waiters
and exotic Cantonese cuisine
caught the fancy of rom-
ance seeking diners.
When Beach and his early
associates invented such
mind-boggling rum concoctions
as the "Zombie"
and the "Navy Grog," Don
The Beachcomber became
the envy of the restaurant
world.
The royalty of Hollywood
merged in a common
bond with that of Washington
and the business
world for a night at Don
The Beachcomber was always
memorable. After
Beach decided to move to
Hawaii, Sunny Sund took
over the operation while
today the tradition continues
in the capable hands
of Horst Osterkamp.
Don The Beachcomber
in Hollywood has been
given a complete refurbishing
in keeping with its
senior position among the
nation's tropical elite.
In anticipation of its
40th anniversary, more
than $100,000 was expended
which included
construction of a new
cocktail bar area, expansion
of the central dining
room, and the addition
of new waterfalls and tropical
rain forests.
The spot serves luncheon
Monday through Friday
and dinner nightly
with Steve Aranas serving
as manager-host.
It all started in Holrywood
with a simple notion
and the idea will never
end as long as romance
and the South Seas' continue
to capture the imagination,
the spokesman
said.

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-14 09:01 am   Permalink

When did the original Hollywood location actually close?

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiJosh
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-14 11:42 am   Permalink

We need to post a picture from Sippin Safari of the parking lot sign. Or any other pictures. All I have is the empty parking lot now that the sign is gone.

View Profile of TikiJosh Send a personal message to TikiJosh      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Digitiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-08 2:59 pm   Permalink

Thought this would be interesting. The picture for this album cover was taken in 1958 at the Hollywood Don The Beachcomber. enjoy.

"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." -- Dean Martin

View Profile of Digitiki Send a personal message to Digitiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-09 08:36 am   Permalink

Does anyone know what year the Hollywood DTB closed?

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tattoo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-28 08:04 am   Permalink

Going through my hardrive looking at all my pictures and I found this one that I don't believe I've seen anywhere on TC yet. I'm pretty sure this is the Hollywood location. As I remember I found it on the UCLA archives site a few years ago.

and I believe this is the Chicago location. Does anyone know?

[ This Message was edited by: Tattoo 2008-02-28 08:33 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Tattoo 2008-02-28 08:36 ]

View Profile of Tattoo Send a personal message to Tattoo  Email Tattoo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-28 09:51 am   Permalink

I do believe that 2nd pic is from the Chicago location, yes. What is odd about it is that it looks like a snapshot, yet the sign seems to have been messed with professionally to increase clarity..(?). Here's a 1958 ad for it:

The Chicago location was the very first Beachcomber franchise, and it was Sunny's baby, all the way:

It was important because it inspired the creation of the Mai Kai:

"The inspiration for the Mai-Kai came from the (Thornton) brothers' favorite restaurant, Don the Beachcomber, an island-style eatery they visited with their father during their childhood in Chicago."

There are two rare interior postcards from it on e-bay right now, but kohalacharms is bidding, so I know that a.) I will be outbid, and b.) they will go into competent hands :

These photos further cement the fact that the 1940s, and the Don The Beachcomber look in general belong to the Pre-Tiki period.

Here is a nice interior of the Hollywood Beachcomber, shot in the 50s:

Quote:

On 2007-08-14 11:42, TikiJosh wrote:
We need to post a picture from Sippin Safari of the parking lot sign. Or any other pictures. All I have is the empty parking lot now that the sign is gone.

How about a picture of the parking lot sign from the Book of Tiki? :

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tattoo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-28 10:30 am   Permalink

Here's a wider version of the Chicago Beachcomber shot. Not sure if the sign was messed with for clarity.

View Profile of Tattoo Send a personal message to Tattoo  Email Tattoo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-28 7:40 pm   Permalink

I remember this photo now, it was on e-bay. Maybe the seller photoshopped the sign to a crisper form to make the pic more appealing to folks like us.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Digitiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-29 11:59 am   Permalink

Its funny, but the Hollywood Beachcomber looks so much like a little apartment complex and not a polynesian palace.

"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." -- Dean Martin

View Profile of Digitiki Send a personal message to Digitiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-29 4:29 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-11-08 14:59, Digitiki wrote:
Thought this would be interesting. The picture for this album cover was taken in 1958 at the Hollywood Don The Beachcomber. enjoy.

How do you know this? This album cover hangs over my bar. I see nothing on the back cover referring to Don the Beachcomber's. Looks more like a studio shot to me.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-29 5:12 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-02-29 16:29, GatorRob wrote:
I see nothing on the back cover referring to Don the Beachcomber's.

....cause you didn't use your magnifying glass :

Well, apparently, The Outriggers didn't like Don's, because they chose to shoot their next album cover at Vic's :

Meanwhile, THE SURFERS preferred THEIR covers to be shot with Stephen Crane's LUAU as the back drop:

...while THE OUTRIGGERS were studio musicians put together to supply more Hawaiian sounds to the Polynesia-mad masses, the Surfers were sort of "The Monkees" of Hawaiian music, for though they were native Hawaiians, they were found by their record company in L.A., at Glendale Junior College.

All in all, perfect examples Polynesian Pop: From the recording to the cover photography, not one foot was set on the Islands, the Illusion of the South Seas was completely fabricated on the mainland, in part thanks to the Tiki Troica of Don, Vic and Steve!

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2008-02-29 19:02 ]

ZuluMagoo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-29 10:16 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-02-28 09:51, bigbrotiki wrote:

There are two rare interior postcards from it on e-bay right now, but kohalacharms is bidding, so I know that a.) I will be outbid, and b.) they will go into competent hands :

Rare indeed! This is the first time I have seen these cards. The common Don the Beachcomber cards are the interior shot of the Hollywood location, a few from the Waikiki location (luau shots), the UFO shot from Marina del Rey and then the common menu cards (2) the non PC drink menu card and the map of the South Pacific card.

I have no doubt that Kohalacharms will end up with the cards, but I expect that the bidding will go high at the close of the auction. That reminds me of the time Sabu brook the $100 barrier for a Tahiti Motel postcard from Wildwood Crest New Jersey several years ago (Tim, we rarely see you around here anymore?)

View Profile of ZuluMagoo Send a personal message to ZuluMagoo  Email ZuluMagoo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-02 3:58 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-02-29 17:12, bigbrotiki wrote:
....cause you didn't use your magnifying glass :

Well, there it is. Right under my nose and I never noticed it. Thanks for that!

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation