FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Locating Tiki » » Don the Beachcomber (Hollywood), Hollywood, CA (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
Don the Beachcomber (Hollywood), Hollywood, CA (restaurant)
tikilongbeach
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-25 09:08 am   Permalink

Another vintage picture of Don's. The chopstick display is to the left.

View Profile of tikilongbeach Send a personal message to tikilongbeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-25 10:22 am   Permalink

...also to be found in "TIKI MODERN" in the chapter about murals and dioramas

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikilongbeach
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-25 11:04 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-09-25 10:22, bigbrotiki wrote:
...also to be found in "TIKI MODERN" in the chapter about murals and dioramas

I got that picture from a 2010 article on chow.com.
I need to look through my "Tiki Modern" again.

This site has more old pics of Don's and other old Hollywood hot spots, but you have to pay in order to use the images. I like the growth progression of the plants in front of Don's from 1937 to 1971.
www.hollywoodphotographs.com/search/don%20the%20beachcomber/

View Profile of tikilongbeach Send a personal message to tikilongbeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-03 08:53 am   Permalink

Why has this 1934 date persisted everywhere? Don opened in 1933, as soon as prohibition ended. Just today I see it again by non-other than Sven!

Like Mai-Kai: History, Mystery and Adventure the book

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-01-06 5:54 pm   Permalink

We know that Donn opened up Don's Beachcomber at 1722 N. McCadden Place in 1933.

He then moved the bar across the street to 1727 N. McCadden Place in 1937 when in became Don the Beachcomber's.

What we didn't know is that another Polynesian restaurant went into the original bar location - the Tahiti as evidenced by this rather historical matchbook I just purchased!

How cool is that!

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-01-06 6:20 pm   Permalink

Whoaaa! And judging by the style of the artwork, that happened not long after the Beachcomber left. Wonder how Don felt about that. Man what would I give for a street view photo ….oh to have a time machine!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-01-10 11:54 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-07-03 08:53, Swanky wrote:
Why has this 1934 date persisted everywhere? Don opened in 1933, as soon as prohibition ended. Just today I see it again by non-other than Sven!

Swanky,

Final proof. An old Don The Beachcomber matchbook from my collection (with cool raised features)

With the following information on the inside:

I'd say that's pretty definitive.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-01-12 3:27 pm   Permalink

A place called the Tahiti across the street from Don's in Hollywood? That's fantastic! Great find. I guess you could call this the first Polynesian Restaurant Row! Don's was known for attracting the Hollywood elite. I wonder if some of them occasionally wandered across the street to Tahiti. Has anyone called Hillside 0818 to see if they're still open? If only Google street level view worked retroactively.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-01-16 09:35 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-07-03 08:53, Swanky wrote:

My guess is that it's because the year of the bar opening is confused with the year the Zombie was invented. The often told tale is that Don created the Zombie for a patron as a hangover cure. So obviously the bar was already open when the drink was invented. So bar opened in 1933, and the Zombie was first whipped up in 1934.

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-02-17 07:58 am   Permalink

More evidence in this early postcard.

150 known imitators. Hollywood's first bar.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

[ This Message was edited by: Swanky 2015-02-17 07:58 ]

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-02-17 8:44 pm   Permalink

How close to 150 can we get if we list all the imitators WE know here ?

arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-02-18 10:31 am   Permalink

Quote:

More evidence in this early postcard.

150 known imitators. Hollywood's first bar.

I'm guessing they meant, first bar in Hollywood after Prohibition. Which in itself is surprising.

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-03-21 06:04 am   Permalink

Working on my book and I can't figure out if it started as "Don's Beachcomber" "Beachcomber Café" or "Don's Beachcomber Café". There is some evidence for all three. Or maybe it was "Don's Beachcomber Café" and was shortened in various places...

DC posted that image with the sign. We have a telephone book listing with another and, well, can anyone tell me definitively what it was originally called?

Like Mai-Kai: History, Mystery and Adventure the book

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2015 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation