FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving New stuffs and where Ive been... (not so tiki, at all but you may get a kick out of it!) 9/11 page 2
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
New stuffs and where Ive been... (not so tiki, at all but you may get a kick out of it!) 9/11 page 2
kaha ki'i
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-15 11:26 am   Permalink

Aloha TC Ohana!
Its been so long for me, but here's some new kine stuff Ive been working on. Like the title of the post, its not so tiki. Lately (maybe because of disney & Johnny Depp) Ive been hit up with "skull" kine orders. It seems the pirate craze is in full swing so Ive been doing some "pirate-ish" kine carvings!

This buggah is made from ancient whale blue bone and will be mounted with a silver bail right in the top of the skull, then mounted on a silver chain... Now I carve tiny small kine skulls fine but for some reason this one was tough!

Here's a couple of ancient walrus molar pendants with tiny kine skulls!
(notice I carved mini bone toggles!)

And keeping with the "skull" theme, here's one of my latest Pa Kahawai Lure pendants with a walrus bone "skull's head" barb!

Okay, so here's a true custom order... This piece I did for a friend who's nickname is "toast". Apparently, he eats toast every day of his life (2 or 3 times!) and his father used to say he knew his son made it home safe every night because he would wake up smelling toast in the middle of the night!

here's a few of my "normal" kine carvings...
Gold pearl shell manta ray pendant with Black pearl shell eyes...

A solid Mammoth Ivory "Naia" (dolphin) pendant...

Another "Lono" pendant made from ancient sperm whale jaw bone...

Here's a Mano makau (bruddah IZ style) made from curly Koa, Mammoth Ivory and nice little pearl shell "dewdrop". (this buggah for sale too!)

This makau is special one because this material is one of the hardest I work with... Its ancient Mammoth Molar (as seen underneath the makau) in an almost mineralized state. It actually has some "tiger's eye" qualities to it with some nice fire in the dentine sections. Thing is, I have to constantly stabilize this stuff so the buggah no break during carving & polishing! OW-WAY!

This buggah is a work-in-progress... Its a normal "gorge" style makau but the material is ancient walrus skull bone (around 4000 years old) and almost looks like leopard skin print!

Last but not least is another work-in-progress and a true labor of love... This buggah is gonna be for me! (or some fine wahine that captures my heart, ya nevah know!) Its a He'e pendant made from Stellar Sea cow bone. I have around 8 or 9 hours left on da kine. I still have to do major finish work like the tentacles including the suction cups, pearl shell eyes and beak (mouth). This one is going to be "full" anatomy so its taking long time!

Id love to hear what you all think. Its been so long since I posted and Im stoked to be back!!!

Big Mahalo'z!

[ This Message was edited by: kaha ki'i 2007-09-11 22:05 ]

[ This Message was edited by: kaha ki'i 2007-09-11 22:12 ]

View Profile of kaha ki'i Send a personal message to kaha ki'i  Email kaha ki'i Goto the website of kaha ki'i     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-15 11:40 am   Permalink

Wow. It's great to have you back! I don't know where to start, skulls, tikis, rays, Oh my. All fantastic. I really like the octopus.

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikidreams
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-15 12:56 pm   Permalink

mad skills!

View Profile of tikidreams Send a personal message to tikidreams      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tamapoutini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-15 2:19 pm   Permalink

Kia ora - You cant keep a good man down it seems..

More top-shelf work from you mate. Should we be worried about all the skulls n bones motif..? Nah, enough love gone into them I reckon..

"""Its ancient Mammoth Molar (as seen underneath the makau) in an almost mineralized state. It actually has some "tiger's eye" qualities to it with some nice fire in the dentine sections.""" - Chatoyancy!! Sexy!

Love the toast too - Ive been staring at it waiting for that butter to melt!

My only constructive criticism is the length of time in between posts of your work! (ya buggah!)

Tama

View Profile of Tamapoutini Send a personal message to Tamapoutini  Email Tamapoutini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-15 2:50 pm   Permalink

Ditto what Everybody said, Long time we been Missin your works so Don't stay away so long next time. That dolphin pendant is one of the Prettiest dolphin I have seen carved on a small scale. Beautiful lines and Awesome finish. I could go down the list on every piece but we don't have the space. Just KNOW This: We are Mighty Happy to see you posting on these pages again! A Real sight for sore eyes.
Welcome Back.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-15 2:59 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-08-15 11:26, kaha ki'i wrote:

Id love to hear what you all think. Its been so long since I posted and Im stoked to be back!!!

Not as stoked as we are! Keep posting the skulls - I've also noticed people are crazy about 'em and they work fine within/beside tiki stuff as far as I'm concerned.

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
4WDtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-15 3:08 pm   Permalink

They're all cool, but you really got those skulls down! Love that first one!!

[ This Message was edited by: 4WDtiki 2007-08-16 06:02 ]

View Profile of 4WDtiki Send a personal message to 4WDtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kaha ki'i
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-15 6:46 pm   Permalink

Big mahaloz everyone! Im so pleased to be back. Pleased? That doesnt define it!
Johnny- mahalo'z bruddah! I hear the OZ tune in my head when I read your comment! Loved it!
Tikidreams- mad mahalo'z!
Tama- Serious thanks! I was laughing at the toast comment!!! It took me a while to find a chunk of walrus that would look like melting butter when polished! And the "toasting" is actually a combo of tea stain and burning the bone with a dry polishing pad! So I guess it is a bit toasted!
Benz- Cant thank you enough Ben. Every single soul here on TC respects and admires you Benz, as do I!
Paipo- great comment! Mahalo for the aloha! So happy to see you & everyones elses work! Shootz! Just awesome!
4WD-Mahalo! yeah cuz, a skull inside our head is one thing we all have in common! But now I see da buggah's in my sleep!!! (actually I get a kick out of them! Theyre fun & challenging to do correctly on a small scale!)

Again, Thank everyone who sparked my work! More to come!

View Profile of kaha ki'i Send a personal message to kaha ki'i  Email kaha ki'i Goto the website of kaha ki'i     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
insanetikiers
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-08-15 6:47 pm   Permalink

Wow! Nice.

View Profile of insanetikiers Send a personal message to insanetikiers  Email insanetikiers     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-15 6:48 pm   Permalink

Oh Wow! Welcome back!! I love all of your stuff. That first skull is my favorite as well as the octopus. Great detail on such a small scale.

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-15 8:32 pm   Permalink

Mate, great to have you back! I love seeing the work you do

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Moondance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-15 10:34 pm   Permalink

Besides the beautiful artwork the different materials are incredible. WOW

View Profile of Moondance Send a personal message to Moondance  Email Moondance Goto the website of Moondance     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
benella
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-15 11:31 pm   Permalink

EXCELLENT.

Benjamin.

View Profile of benella Send a personal message to benella  Goto the website of benella     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-15 11:48 pm   Permalink

Here's a link to some of his older works for the newer members (and for the folks like me who just want to see it again ).

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=17787&forum=7

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
McTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-16 05:32 am   Permalink

Incredible stuff!

Thank you

McTiki

View Profile of McTiki Send a personal message to McTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation