FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Creating Tiki » » Tiki Carving » » new carver wanting feedback
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
new carver wanting feedback
Bali_Dan
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-08-17 8:10 pm   Permalink

My mom and sister-in-law went to Hawaii in 2004 and brought me back a small tiki. As it turns out my neighbor, Jay Brooks from the band Clouseaux, wanted help getting logs to carve some tikis. I had already been carving fish, so I thought why not give tikis a try. I was hooked! I made my family some for Christmas. Here are some pics…

Those were the first two.

This is what came next:

I did these for a vet- notice the cat and dog.

This was a small one for my boss.

These above I did this summer.

I'm working on this mask now. Even got my wife learning how to carve on this one!

View Profile of Bali_Dan Send a personal message to Bali_Dan  Goto the website of Bali_Dan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
McTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-17 8:19 pm   Permalink

What the hell do you need feeddback from lowly carvers like us ?

Your $hit rocks! What can we say?

Nice stuff!

Welcome and mahalo from TC!

McTiki

View Profile of McTiki Send a personal message to McTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-08-17 8:28 pm   Permalink

Those are great!
When I went to Coon Tiki I remember Tiki Diablo saying.
"more deeper more better"
Now I have not carved much.
But when I do I still hear those words.
Keep it up.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Stiki Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-17 8:28 pm   Permalink

ditto here, I'd buy em if I wasn't broke from mugs..........

View Profile of Stiki Tiki Send a personal message to Stiki Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-18 07:37 am   Permalink

Well, I just don't know. I really think they are in dire need of a professional checking out so if you'll just send them to me, I will check them out and make sure they look OK in my tiki setting. When I'm done I'll send you a full report of course, but in the Meantime keep on carving those excellent looking tikis. Oh yeah, and by the way, WELCOME to Tiki Central!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bali_Dan
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-08-18 07:41 am   Permalink

Thank you very much or should I say mahalo. I have some smaller masks I am about to start so I will post them soon. This site has helped me so much and you guys are great.

View Profile of Bali_Dan Send a personal message to Bali_Dan  Goto the website of Bali_Dan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hypnotiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-09-01 5:20 pm   Permalink

Good work Dan-O!! I need to post your blue one...

View Profile of hypnotiki Send a personal message to hypnotiki  Email hypnotiki Goto the website of hypnotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
surfintiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-01 6:41 pm   Permalink

You are off and rockin'. Keep it up! I bet you're already finding that you can think of more designs you wanna do, than you'll ever have time to do!

View Profile of surfintiki Send a personal message to surfintiki  Goto the website of surfintiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-01 6:44 pm   Permalink

Nice work.

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mieko
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-03 10:23 pm   Permalink

Great stuff! The wood you are using is so interesting looking! What woods are they? Looks like you really know what you're doing with the carving. I hope you can hang around and get some ideas on some different styles of tikis.
And I know they might not be totally in theme - but I gotta see some of your fish! I see one peeking out in the background of that first picture, but I'm dying to see what else you've got.

View Profile of mieko Send a personal message to mieko  Email mieko Goto the website of mieko     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Fres-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-03 10:43 pm   Permalink

Great work!
I really like the tikis you carved for the vet - very clever way to work in the cat and dog faces. I want to see those masks you're carving!

View Profile of Fres-tiki Send a personal message to Fres-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki-lee
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-09-05 1:05 pm   Permalink

Those are all outstanding. I would love to have them all in my yard.

View Profile of tiki-lee Send a personal message to tiki-lee      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bali_Dan
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-09-09 07:39 am   Permalink

Thank you all for the replies. Mieko I use whatever logs I can find usually. The wood in most of these pictures is cedar from a tree that fell in my parents yard. Here are some pictures of some fish I have carved as well.

GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-09 07:51 am   Permalink

Sweet fish! SWEET! I likee the wahooeee!!!

-G

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-09 3:02 pm   Permalink

I like the Moai, Dan, but on the rest you need to get some better reference on true South Pacific art and draw influence from it if you're going to pursue being a tiki carver. The pineapple head thing was invented by Wayne Coombs originally, but ended up being copied by every coastal souvenir carver around; it was so often done on those Florida style tikis that it got to be a clique` and usually had folks in the tiki world rolling their eyes. I'd stay away from it. You do have ability, man.. you can definitely see that.
Member #490

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation