[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Ľ Ľ General Tiki Ľ Ľ Damon's
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Damon's
Alnshely
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-31 09:55 am   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: Alnshely 2006-07-22 07:40 ]

View Profile of Alnshely Send a personal message to Alnshely  Email Alnshely     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-31 12:49 pm   Permalink

Nice pix, Al

Are the three mural detail shots you posted the work of Eugene Savage?

This would seem to be the case, but the mural I noticed there (about 4 years ago) bore the signature of a Bettina Rakita Byrne, although these look very Savage-esque.

Did you happen to notice?

See www.tydirium.net for Tiki Road Trip, global travelogues, and more!

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GECKO
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-31 8:27 pm   Permalink

Alohaz braddah Al!
How you wen find dis spot? Where is it?
I would neva have known to look fo a polynesian palace in a place called DAMONS!

And yes da mural looks very much like savage art. I dout it if he wen did it himself! who evah did em was very talented!

Hey Al did you get my email i wen sent yestaday? It's been raining hard an da telephone lines have been down at times during the day. I also missed out on a bid yestaday on ebay....piss me off!

alohaz

View Profile of GECKO Send a personal message to GECKO  Email GECKO Goto the website of GECKO     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Alnshely
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-02-01 08:31 am   Permalink

Hey Guys,
Gecko, Damons is in Glendale. These picture were taken after a party at Svens, we all went over for dinner. My camera was full and I couldn't find my extra flashcards. I wanted some pictures of the murals so I didn't get any pics of the many TC members who were there that night. Anyway I did get your Email.

These details are from the same mural, but, there are some other murals there as well. It sure looks like savage. I saw no signature. The murals are behind booths and Damons was quite full that night. I didn't want to bother the patrons, so I wasn't able to inspect them as I would have liked.

JT, My name is Alan Knepper. Years ago I sent you a photo CD and a Trader Dick's Outrigger Bowl. You published my pictures of the Bali Hai, Royal Hawaiian and the Islands Room. I was stoked. If you ever need any more pics let me know, taking pictures of Tiki Bars is sort of a hobby of mine. Last time you were in LA. I just missed you at Trader Vic's BH. FloraTina, Weird Unncle and other TCers were there, I'll catch you next time. I look forward to your book.
Mahalo,
Al

View Profile of Alnshely Send a personal message to Alnshely  Email Alnshely     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-02-01 12:22 pm   Permalink

Aloha Al

Of course I remember you, and the stuff you sent me like 5 years ago, and I was also bummed to have missed you and Shelley at Vic's in Beverly Hills last year. Me and a few of the other Tiki freaks had a swell time that night, they told me that you left like 5 mins before I showed up.

Anyway - in writing my above message, I was totally cogniscent of whom I was addressing... but the question remains - is the artist of the bar-area murals Eugene savage, or an impostor?

And Gecko - there's much more info about Damons on my web site (Tiki Bar Review Pages at
www.tydirium.net).

You're right - who'd thionk to look for Tiki in a place called Damon's... there are other spots similarly hidden by deceptive names, such as Chef Shangri-La here in Chicago.

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-02-01 12:34 pm   Permalink

Damon's, 317 N. Brand Ave., Glendale (Los Angeles), CA (818) 507-1510

Damon's opened at 118 S. Central Street in 1937, and moved to it's current location in 1990. Located just a few feet from the street, Damon's facade is promising, with plenty of thatch and bamboo, a colorful Tiki pole, and no windows. A lack of windows is a key architectural feature in any classic Tiki Bar, since a lack of windows is also a lack of reminders that the Ďrealí world is just a few yards away.
Damonís heavy doors lead into a dark entryway, and then into two spacious dining rooms. While there is definitely a fair amount of bamboo present (augmented by floral seat cushions and carpet, plenty of aquariums, and a generally exotic atmosphere), you'd be hard pressed to find any of the most exciting Tiki Bar elements, such as carved Tiki Gods, blowfish, or Tiki Mugs at Damonís. The only actual Tiki in evidence is near the hostess stand, and at about 18" tall, it isn't much to write about. There are a few nice vintage Hawaiiana prints above the arch leading to the bar area, and the murals on the back wall of the bar area are interesting too. They were done in 1987 by Bettina Rakita Byrne in the style of Eugene Savage.
A collage of newspaper clippings about the original location can be found near the solitary hostess stand Tiki. The collage is notable not only for the information on the original Damon's location, but for some great 1930's-1950's advertising preserved alongside the Damon's articles.
The bar manager mixes up a mean Lava, the house drink. Basically a Mai Tai with a splash of something red that seeps into the drink like (you guessed it) hot lava, it is unique, and pretty strong. All of the drinks are made fresh. The actual Mai Tai is a little bland but not bad; made with traditional ingredients, it comes garnished with a cherry, a pineapple chunk, and the obligatory umbrella. The Blue Hawaiian stinks, but it is tough to find one that doesnít. The novelty is the color, and few Tikiphiles usually bother with the wretched things.
Your Mai Tai may be interrupted by a football game on the television in the bar (which sometimes drowns out the faint traces of exotic music barely audible on the muzak system).
The crowd at Damonís is mostly families and middle-aged couples, and the place definitely feels more like a typical modern restaurant than a classic Tiki Bar. Steak and potatoes is the fare. Lots of seafood too, and although the TiPSY Factor isnít anything special, the food is very good, and priced fairly. Given the pricey nature of the Trader Vicís over in Beverly Hills, Damonís might be your best Los Angeles choice for a good meal in a quasi-Tiki atmosphere.

bamboo ben
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-02-01 7:43 pm   Permalink

Sounds cool. I really need to get out and see these places. When I'm locked up in the shop building stuff, I sometimes see tiki faces in the bamboo. Looking forward to the 3 major events this year (to get out of the workshop)!
712 Yorktown Ave. #20
Huntington Beach, Ca. 92648
Store Hours- Sat. 10-Sunset(ish)
Sun. 11-4ish
Other Hours by appointment 714 960-1860

View Profile of bamboo ben Send a personal message to bamboo ben  Email bamboo ben Goto the website of bamboo ben     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KaptainKuku
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-10-24 05:40 am   Permalink

I believe Damon's moved to its current location in 1980, not 1990. The reason I believe I know this is that I first went to Damon's in 1989, when I moved to L.A. I also think I recall reading in an article about Damon's posted on their wall near their hostess station that they moved in 1980, and they had to move because the old building was demolished due to the Glendale Galleria mall being built. Am I wrong on this?

View Profile of KaptainKuku Send a personal message to KaptainKuku      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-12-21 2:06 pm   Permalink

I recently revisited Damon's on Dec. 9, 2005, and was pleasantly surprised that nothing has changed since the change in ownership. I ordered the Tenderloin of Beef for dinner and was amazed at the quality and size of this steak. It is a super tender and delicious hunk of beef for such a low price. I give it the Jab's Best Steak Deal award!

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-21 7:11 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-12-21 14:06, thejab wrote:
I recently revisited Damon's on Dec. 9, 2005, and was pleasantly surprised that nothing has changed since the change in ownership.

The 'coon skin cap thankfully has been removed from the tiki near the cash register.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hulahine

Posted: 2005-12-26 12:03 pm   Permalink

After years of anticipation, I gathered my friends and journeyed through the mysterious jungles of the Valley toward Glendale -- where a shining jewel of this left coast was said to exist -- DAMON'S. It was suprisingly easy to find, and entering through the tiki'd doors, we readied for a Poly-pop feast. The color-splashed murals to the suspended outrigger to the tiki masks, the decor was wonderful. You could imagine "Quiet Village" whispering through the eaves. We loved it. Unfortunately, our feast was a descent into hades. The salads were wilted, brown, and decomposing. Not usually ones for bothering waitstaff, the salads were so bad we had to send them back. Everyone has had a bad salad before, but these were inedible... and the replacements weren't any better. The entrees seemed somewhat better at the time. They were steaks afterall. Then -- as we finished -- I started feeling very queasy. I was embarrased to tell my friend that I was feeling sick... but then she confessed she was feeling it too! And we were truly sick. No faking here. So, after some time away from the table, we paid the bill and left... never complaining that in the hour plus we were at Damon's -- even after reminding the waitstaff repeatedly -- they never brought our drink order. So, initially we were very excited about going to this tiki treasure, but ultimately we were even more excited about leaving. We love tiki, but not enough to try Damon's again.

View Profile of Hulahine Send a personal message to Hulahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-02 09:26 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-12-26 12:03, Hulahine wrote:
After years of anticipation, I gathered my friends and journeyed through the mysterious jungles of the Valley toward Glendale -- where a shining jewel of this left coast was said to exist -- DAMON'S. It was suprisingly easy to find, and entering through the tiki'd doors, we readied for a Poly-pop feast. The color-splashed murals to the suspended outrigger to the tiki masks, the decor was wonderful. You could imagine "Quiet Village" whispering through the eaves. We loved it. Unfortunately, our feast was a descent into hades. The salads were wilted, brown, and decomposing. Not usually ones for bothering waitstaff, the salads were so bad we had to send them back. Everyone has had a bad salad before, but these were inedible... and the replacements weren't any better. The entrees seemed somewhat better at the time. They were steaks afterall. Then -- as we finished -- I started feeling very queasy. I was embarrased to tell my friend that I was feeling sick... but then she confessed she was feeling it too! And we were truly sick. No faking here. So, after some time away from the table, we paid the bill and left... never complaining that in the hour plus we were at Damon's -- even after reminding the waitstaff repeatedly -- they never brought our drink order. So, initially we were very excited about going to this tiki treasure, but ultimately we were even more excited about leaving. We love tiki, but not enough to try Damon's again.

That's a bummer...my DAmon's experiences have always been good.

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KaptainKuku
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-01-09 12:22 am   Permalink

Sorry about the bad experience.

Having eaten at Damon's both before and after the change in ownership (late 2004 I think is when they changed), I have to say the food is certainly better now. They raised the prices significantly, but also the quality of the food as well. (Ate there about a month ago, December 2005.)

Before, the food was like something you would get at Denny's, with similar prices. Now the food (mostly steaks, though they do have chicken and some fresh seafood dishes too) is like a decent steakhouse. Steaks were nicely cooked, stuffed baked potatoes were really delicious, appetizers were quite decent. Salad is not the best, you're right. It's a lackluster, 1960's style iceberg lettuce salad with shredded beets in it and their "famous" dressing which is 1000 Island dressing with maybe one molecule of black pepper in it. As much as I have nostalgia for the salad I would update it a bit. They could keep the dressing, but change the greens and other ingredients.

Even the MaiTais were decent now compared to 5 years ago, when I recall they were quite medicinal tasting. They're certainly on the right track. Maybe give them another try and skip the salad?

View Profile of KaptainKuku Send a personal message to KaptainKuku      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WooHooWahine
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-07-20 3:15 pm   Permalink

WooHooo! SoccerTiki and I give Damon's 2 Thumbs Up. If you haven't had the opportunity to go to Damon's you need to go. It reminded little bit of the late Royal Hawaiian and Sam's Seafood mixed in a blender. The bartender can make great Mai Tai's even with his eyes closed

View Profile of WooHooWahine Send a personal message to WooHooWahine  Email WooHooWahine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-20 3:39 pm   Permalink

And if you can't make it to Damon's, you can still have their mai tai!
It's in Beachbum Berry's
'Taboo Table'

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation