FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events San Diego Tiki Carvers - Thanks and who needs wood?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
San Diego Tiki Carvers - Thanks and who needs wood?
Billy the Crud
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-21 01:58 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-08-21 01:30, T_birdman wrote:
Just got my schedule, on location on saturday, can't make it but is this going to be the chop-chop for August or will there be another I might be able to make?

The Chop-chop for Aughust was Oasis, man!! And thank you SO much for the clean-wipe and the bandage......I cut myself again after that and didn't use a clean-wipe......that cut got infected a little.

I vote for the 22nd for the September Chop.......that's the only weekend that Fly-boy and his wife can make it. Any input? Any idea where?

http://www.myspace.com/sandiegotikicarvers

"96 tears from 96 eyes".....RIP Lux Interior

View Profile of Billy the Crud Send a personal message to Billy the Crud  Email Billy the Crud Goto the website of Billy the Crud     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
T_birdman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-21 02:06 am   Permalink

LOL, you're always welcome bro, but I think you might be needing a FULL-TIME night nurse (don't look at me!). I'm ok with the 22nd of Sept, tenatively.

Same as it ever was! (But what looms on the horizon, hmm?)

View Profile of T_birdman Send a personal message to T_birdman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bowana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-21 8:13 pm   Permalink

I'm there! Don't worry about lunch for me. I'm a pretty fair scrounge.

Wouldn't it be cool if we could get together and carve like, oh I don't know........every weekend!

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

View Profile of Bowana Send a personal message to Bowana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Billy the Crud
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-22 10:43 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-08-21 20:13, Tikidav wrote:
I'm there! Don't worry about lunch for me. I'm a pretty fair scrounge.

Wouldn't it be cool if we could get together and carve like, oh I don't know........every weekend!

Yes. That would make me very happy as well

View Profile of Billy the Crud Send a personal message to Billy the Crud  Email Billy the Crud Goto the website of Billy the Crud     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Clysdalle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-22 4:02 pm   Permalink

ok, so in review...

can get there (where exactly in the park?) between 9-10ish
bring my popup
logs unskinned are provided
demos around noon
chainsaws welcome

just a few questions...

power or no power?
when does it end?
how big a crowd are we talking about?

View Profile of Clysdalle Send a personal message to Clysdalle  Email Clysdalle Goto the website of Clysdalle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mieko
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-22 8:20 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-08-22 16:02, Clysdalle wrote:
can get there (where exactly in the park?) between 9-10ish
power or no power?
when does it end?
how big a crowd are we talking about?

It's at Golden Hill Park at the south end of Balboa Park. 25th street dead ends on the north side at the park.
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&hs=oKi&q=25th+street+san+diego,+ca&um=1&sa=N&tab=wl

There should be a pretty good group of people, I'll send my cell and Clint's to everyone via a PM tomorrow in case you get there and can't find where to go.

I'm assuming no power, I'll double check tomorrow.

They are having a raffle and such at 3:30, we can leave earlier, we'll probably want to plan on hanging out for an hour or so after the demos.

I'll check on crowd size as well, to reserve the park they let you permit up to 100 people, so I'm guessing around that range.

View Profile of mieko Send a personal message to mieko  Email mieko Goto the website of mieko     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. NoNaMe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-22 8:43 pm   Permalink

Five north or south to Pershing Dr. to the east for a mile or less. Right up 26th. You will see the park at the top and to the right.

94 TO THE WEST toward downtown to 25th st. Turn right and head in to the park.

[ This Message was edited by: Mr. NoNaMe 2007-08-22 20:50 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Mr. NoNaMe 2007-08-23 22:02 ]

View Profile of Mr. NoNaMe Send a personal message to Mr. NoNaMe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mieko
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-23 4:44 pm   Permalink

Updates:
They might have less wood than they thought - the logs that they thought were stripped weren't, but they'll do a stripping demo in the morning of at least one 8 footer that we can carve later, and Clint has 2 stripped pieces coming from his yard.

Estimated people is somewhere around 500. (wow!)

No power at the site, but Clint could bring a generator if we need it. If so, call me tonight so I can ask him to bring it.

I'll PM everyone the phone numbers now. You can call me or Clint to try to figure out where we're going to be. I'd look for anywhere that has palm logs and ask for Clint. His company is San Diego Tree Care.

[ This Message was edited by: mieko 2007-08-23 16:47 ]

View Profile of mieko Send a personal message to mieko  Email mieko Goto the website of mieko     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
4WDtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-23 5:17 pm   Permalink

It wouldn't hurt to have a generator there.

Mieko, does Clint know how many of us will be coming?

View Profile of 4WDtiki Send a personal message to 4WDtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mieko
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-23 8:59 pm   Permalink

ok, generator on it's way. I told him there were 10 of us, which he was pretty surprised at. With the decrease in logs, we might not have quite as much extra wood, if anyone has piece that they are working on, it would be great to bring them. We can also chop up the big piece into many little half logs, but it sounds like some of you were really looking forward to some big logs.

I don't need wood for myself, and Cammo didn't sound like he'd be around long enough to carve too much (and he's still got his tongue!)

Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-23 9:05 pm   Permalink

I'm bring the mask I was working on at Oasis. I'm good for wood for the next couple of months.

I can't stay long either. Gotta get up to Santa Barbara Saturday night for my next Crowded House concert.

View Profile of Tiki-Kate Send a personal message to Tiki-Kate  Goto the website of Tiki-Kate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bowana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-23 10:19 pm   Permalink

Ah nuts! I won't be able to make it after all. I got dumb stuff I gotta do now.

Have great time everybody!

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

View Profile of Bowana Send a personal message to Bowana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Billy the Crud
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-23 11:09 pm   Permalink

Dumb stuff is annoying. I will miss you, TCer formerly know as Tikidav.

I will be bringing my two year old daughter and a babysitter to watch her. This is too fun for a kid like her to miss!

Also, I can bring a log.....scratch that, I can't get the sonumbitch in the truck myself.....BUT, I can bring some stuff I've been working on......I'll bring SOMETHING, meaning, I will not need the provided wood unless there are extra chunks. I WILL bring my new gas chainsaw, though.....and some gas.

Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-25 6:57 pm   Permalink

We took over our very own little corner of the park over today, showed the tree guys how we hack up their throwaways, got a bunch of free wood, and got a bunch of new wood supply contacts. Glad we went. Thanks to all for working away while I was out scamming logs and food the whole time.

Zaya's pictures from today

Who needs a pop up when you have a 100 year old tree for shade. Our demonstration station:

Clysdalle shows up the pros

4WD trying to blow out his lower discs

Billy will stop when they drag him away(to the looney bin...)

Mr NoName plots his next move

Mieko shows Hank how she still has all her fingers left after all this time carving little pendants

Cammo made a couple guest appearances today

Cammo claims that I go to these and never do anything. I'm like that dude who hasn't surfed since '87 who talks about surfing all the time. Here I am boring people with all my arcane tiki knowledge

This guy asked me where the bathroom was and I didn't shut up about tikis for 35 minutes.

All these people were watching the carvers until I stepped into their line of sight and started talking about my mug collection.

My favorite part was watching all the tree guys freak out over how we use our chainsaws. I guess we do everything wrong, from a safety standpoint. They don't understand that we are more careful than them because we are not covered by workman's comp insurance. No insurance insures an accident free work environment.
Here 4WD models proper safety gear.

Before today, I only imagined what safety gear looked like

I saw a big piece of ficus that these guys were going to chip up. I asked if I could have it instead, and they said sure. They even used this $19,000 machine to carry it to my truck for me.

That's a nice piece of wood right there.

And finally Bella rips the eyes out of one of the sample tikis.

That was fun. Glad we got to do it.

Buzzy Out!

View Profile of Bay Park Buzzy Send a personal message to Bay Park Buzzy  Email Bay Park Buzzy Goto the website of Bay Park Buzzy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-25 8:51 pm   Permalink

Wow, It looks like you guys had a great time!! That tree in the back ground of picture 1 is too much! Bill, you look like Chester McCoy is those chaps. It looks like all of you made a much better wood score than I did for us today...

I took a few hours out of getting ready for the trip (Mon thru Mon) to run out to that pile I was telling you all about in Escodido and take a look. There are some good logs out there, but they have all been bull dozed into a big pile as you can see below. It was difficult to separate them as they were intertwined. I only had enough time to cut one log in two, toss it in the back of the truck and go.

The other problem with this pile is we only have access to it tomorrow as the guy is going to haul them out first part of next week. I have tons to do here tomorrow, so I won't be able to go back out, but if you want to go, PM me and I will call the dude for you in the morning. These logs are heavy! I pulled a neck muscle bad. Also, if you want to go...take some things I didn't have - several buddies, a long pry bar, a come along, and a knife.

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation