[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Angle Grinder blades/discs
Angle Grinder blades/discs
Matango Derek
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-08-21 2:25 pm   Permalink

Hi all!

Thanks to my wife, I am the proud new owner of a new Makita 4 1/2 angle grinder for my birthday! And as an added bonus, I also got my first log - a 4ft tall 18in wide pine. I AM SO READY TO CARVE!!! Question: What discs/blades does everyone recommend for various duties to carve this bad boy up? I also am going to get one of those speed dial things; I've read the warnings everywhere here and it's put the fear into me! Thanks for the help! Mahalo!

View Profile of Matango Derek Send a personal message to Matango Derek      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifreak1
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-21 3:36 pm   Permalink

I use these flap discs. I got them at Home Depot. Hope this helps.

Craig

[ This Message was edited by: tikifreak1 2007-08-21 15:51 ]

View Profile of tikifreak1 Send a personal message to tikifreak1  Email tikifreak1 Goto the website of tikifreak1     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-21 5:25 pm   Permalink

Yep that's all you need to start. Get a couple different grits and go to town. Be safe.

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-21 7:17 pm   Permalink

http://www.klingspor.com/

Hopefully this will save you guys/gals some cash!

Home Despot is an arm and a leg!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
https://www.facebook.com/bamboo.ben

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-21 7:43 pm   Permalink

I've got one of these, works okay. Brand and stockist is irrelevant because Im in Australia.

I like the look of these chainsaw style discs though.

A healthy fear and respect is a good thing when using serious power tools like angle grinders and chainsaws.

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
T_birdman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-21 11:30 pm   Permalink

the chainsaw wheel works great! cuts like a hot knife through butter!

View Profile of T_birdman Send a personal message to T_birdman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-21 11:34 pm   Permalink

best tool i ever bought.

most dangerous tool in the workshp beyond the poostick.

View Profile of pdrake Send a personal message to pdrake  Email pdrake     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
benella
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-22 03:38 am   Permalink

I've bought this thing a couple of weeks ago:

I'm pretty happy with it because I couldn't find any Lancelot in France
I agree with Hewey about the healthy fear. A 4 fingers-handed musician doesn't play as good as a 5 finger-handed one

Benjamin.

View Profile of benella Send a personal message to benella  Goto the website of benella     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Queen Kamehameha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-22 12:25 pm   Permalink

This is what Bamboo Ben uses to Carve everything, he is a master with this tool!

View Profile of Queen Kamehameha Send a personal message to Queen Kamehameha  Email Queen Kamehameha Goto the website of Queen Kamehameha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Matango Derek
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-08-23 12:11 pm   Permalink

Thanks everyone! This has been a big help! I'll start to post pics soon.

View Profile of Matango Derek Send a personal message to Matango Derek      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gigantalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-23 11:48 pm   Permalink

I have both the Australian Arbortech systems and the Lancelot Chain style wheels. They both work well, but it's been my experiance that for material removal the Lancelot is better. I have yet to attach duel wheels on the grinder but once on, I'm sure it will be fantastic.

Here is a good place to get such both brands of these contraptions.

http://www.woodcraft.com/search/Search.aspx?Query=lancelot&pssPageSizeSelector%3AddlDisplayedProductsCount=Action%3D13%26DisplayedProducts%3D24

Arbortech has a system for a small wheel grinder attachment as well, which is sweet for details that either of the larger wheels can't do. (The small discs are @ the size of a fiftycent piece)They are difficult to sharpen.

With either tool you won't belive the amount of wood you will be capable of removing. Be very carefull, wear gloves as the debris flying can cut you up. Don't have a few beers and test it out...they are unforgiving when fumbled. Consider a mask as often wood has bacteria that can be dangerious to breath. Your nose and ears will be filled with wood, but you won't care because it's so friggin fun.

As you will be working outside,if you wear a shade-hat while working...don't wear one with drawsting leashes that might get caught and teather the spinning blades to your chin and neck.

keep an eye on the switch of your grinder. One of mine allows the wood chips to catch in it, and keep it from being turned off.

Anyway...your going to love these things. Post when you get to try them.

Have fun!

View Profile of Gigantalope Send a personal message to Gigantalope  Email Gigantalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-24 03:54 am   Permalink

I used my Arbotech disc on a cocos palm, don't do that. The cocos is way too fibrous-y, and clogged up the blade and guard very quick.

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kgbenson
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-08-24 8:27 pm   Permalink

www.grizzly.com Has great prides on King Arthur Tools equipment. They are about 10 dollars cheaper than most other places: http://www.grizzly.com/products/searchresults.aspx?q=lancelot&submit.x=0&submit.y=0

KEith

View Profile of kgbenson Send a personal message to kgbenson  Email kgbenson     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
surfintiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-25 11:38 am   Permalink

This old link, has some good info:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=10451&forum=7&start=180&hilite=tools

View Profile of surfintiki Send a personal message to surfintiki  Goto the website of surfintiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation