FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Creating Tiki » » Tiki Carving » » New member YAAAY!!!!
New member YAAAY!!!!
tikimanalex
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-08-23 7:31 pm   Permalink

Newbie carver just recently inspired by attending tiki-oasis 7. Thank you to Tiki-ray for some awesome tips. A very special thanks to all the great people at the chop shop. I will be looking forward to the tenative O-side event. I did pick up a nice piece of palm which I started carving on with a chisel set I bought off ebay for 18 bucks. I also started carving up a 4x4 piece of redwood which I found laying around. Every piece of wood I see..I want to carve. I have no prior experience. Just a deep desire to carve tiki. Maybe an addiction? Anyhow, Glad to be a part of such a great family. Hope to meet you all soon. Here are some pics of my first attempt. I will update pics as they are completed.

View Profile of tikimanalex Send a personal message to tikimanalex  Email tikimanalex     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
closettiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-23 9:24 pm   Permalink

wow ...great start.....keep going...i also picked up 3 half logs at oasis ...ive started working on a moai.....its addictive.....after watching those guys you just want to tear into it,,,,keep chippin away..theres a tiki in there......

[ This Message was edited by: closettiki 2007-08-23 21:25 ]

View Profile of closettiki Send a personal message to closettiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bohemiann
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-08-24 07:10 am   Permalink

Welcome !

This place is a wellspring of great ideas, inspiration and tips for us new carvers. Yes , it is an addiction! I started with one cheapo chainsaw and now I have 4 chainsaws, a grinder, torches, a trailer for hualin' logs, a hand chisel set in the mail, a backyard that is starting to resemble a palm tree graveyard/Tiki God nursery and a wife who is very understanding.

But I still have all my fingers!

View Profile of Bohemiann Send a personal message to Bohemiann  Email Bohemiann Goto the website of Bohemiann     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikimanalex
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-08-24 11:24 am   Permalink

One hour later, this little guy has a tongue. I didn't really plan it, it just showed up. I've found out that a razor sharp chisel is key to get clean cuts without any shredding.

View Profile of tikimanalex Send a personal message to tikimanalex  Email tikimanalex     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikidreams
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-25 12:05 am   Permalink

LookinŽ good! Always interesting with work in progress pics

View Profile of tikidreams Send a personal message to tikidreams      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-27 7:37 pm   Permalink

Yeah, Quit teasing us and Get it On. Carve that bad boy so we all can see him. Can't wait. HappyHappyHappy.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Clarita
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-01 12:37 pm   Permalink

This looks very promising!

View Profile of Clarita Send a personal message to Clarita  Goto the website of Clarita     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikimanalex
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-09-03 7:15 pm   Permalink

Another hour of work. I like the way this guys eyes are countersunk. He looks kind of sleepy. A few more sessions and it should be done.Yes I did put a torch to it to see if it brings out color.

mieko
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-03 9:58 pm   Permalink

Welcome tikimanalex!
You're off to an amazing start! Look at those legs!!! My first attempts at carving into a 4x4 did not work out - glad yours did! It looks like you really understand how to work in 3 dimensions. Hope to meet you on the 8th - looks like you might be able to teach some of us some new tricks!

View Profile of mieko Send a personal message to mieko  Email mieko Goto the website of mieko     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikimanalex
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-09-21 12:33 pm   Permalink

Just about finished. I was wondering if anybody knows where I can get a four foot piece of round palm tree? I want to carve a traditional standing tiki. I am in the San Diego area, and yes I will pay for it. It looks as if I have somewhat of a talent for this.

U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation