FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events Other Events SECOND Annual Northeast Tiki Tour (Ideas wanted)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
SECOND Annual Northeast Tiki Tour (Ideas wanted)
Suffering Bastard of Stumptown
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-27 5:21 pm   Permalink

Ok, constructive criticism?

I don't have a lot, because things went REALLY well, and the giveaways and raffle stuff was awesome.

Hotel perhaps. one with a pool. I know that outside of Yarmouth in Cape Cod, it's tough to find a hotel with kitsch appeal. But a little nicer would be cool, and at the same time I am not that critical, because it wasn't that big a deal.

Sully, you need to tell the yayhoos in the back of the bus to keep it down when you are talking on the microphone for the raffle.

that's about it.

..sb

View Profile of Suffering Bastard of Stumptown Send a personal message to Suffering Bastard of Stumptown      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
velveteenlounge
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-27 6:32 pm   Permalink

Regarding dates for next year, just please not July 12-13!

View Profile of velveteenlounge Send a personal message to velveteenlounge  Goto the website of velveteenlounge     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Primo Kimo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-27 6:45 pm   Permalink

The only and I mean only thing (except for all the previously mentioned things;) is make sure that it takes no more than 20 minutes to get back to the Hotel after the last stop. That way I feel like more drinky and less sleepy=) Otherwise, yeah!

View Profile of Primo Kimo Send a personal message to Primo Kimo  Email Primo Kimo Goto the website of Primo Kimo ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rapscallion
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-08-27 6:47 pm   Permalink

Bargoyle:
Everything sounds great. A repeat of Friday is a must: a floor show followed by a round robin. Saturday you can send two busses out in opposite directions with plans to meet at the final destination (Kowloon?) for a major party. I'm sure, after this year, they'll believe we are coming. Poolside? Live music? Oh yeah... there's nothing like sipping a tropical elixir poolside. An extra day? Heaven!
One thing to keep in mind: size can become an issue. What size group is managable?
Will there be an insurance/liabilty factor? Can we become too big to handle?
Can a single kahuna protect us?
Cheers-
Rapscallion

View Profile of Rapscallion Send a personal message to Rapscallion  Email Rapscallion     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-28 4:51 pm   Permalink

Quote:

... Saturday you can send two busses out in opposite directions with plans to meet at the final destination (Kowloon?) for a major party.

After reading that, I immediately thought exchange from Ghostbusters:

Stantz: I think we'd better split up.
Spengler: Good idea.
Venkman: Yeah... we can do more damage that way.

My gut feeling is two buses will dilute the Tour experience for everybody. I just wish I had another idea. Nothing yet...

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jpmartdog
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-28 5:10 pm   Permalink

ya, I agree with pappy ..... I hate the two bus idea! A lot of the joy of the trip is being with each other.

View Profile of jpmartdog Send a personal message to jpmartdog  Email jpmartdog Goto the website of jpmartdog     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
velveteenlounge
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-28 5:24 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-08-27 18:32, velveteenlounge wrote:
Regarding dates for next year, just please not July 12-13!

Sorry [grins sheepishly]! Don't worry, I'm not going to send you my conflicts for the entire year. I just really need to be there next year!

View Profile of velveteenlounge Send a personal message to velveteenlounge  Goto the website of velveteenlounge     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigreg
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-28 5:28 pm   Permalink

"You're gonna need a bigger bus."

View Profile of tikigreg Send a personal message to tikigreg      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bargoyle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-28 5:39 pm   Permalink

Cmon, we can all fit on one bus, right?

View Profile of Bargoyle Send a personal message to Bargoyle  Email Bargoyle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
velveteenlounge
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-28 6:33 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-08-28 17:39, Bargoyle wrote:
Cmon, we can all fit on one bus, right?

Well, they do look pretty happy!

Lukeulele
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-28 6:47 pm   Permalink

LOVE the idea of having a hotel thingy! Bands, vendors, carvers,pool party, etc... LOVE the bus tour too, but you KNOW next year you will have double the amount of people wanting to go on it! You may have no choice but to run two buses.
No matter what you do Sully, you obviously have 110% support from A LOT of people and anything you do will be a success.
The west coast has Oasis, the south has Hukilau and now the north east has NETT!!! Wooo Hooo!!

Luke

View Profile of Lukeulele Send a personal message to Lukeulele  Email Lukeulele Goto the website of Lukeulele     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
paranoid123
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-28 6:49 pm   Permalink

I hate to be the contrarian here, but I would suggest NOT having two separate buses. The even is so much about a group activity, it would be a shame to split them up, even if just to meet up in the same place later. Plus, could you imagine the logistics for the planner? It would be like planning two different tours going on at the same time! I would say if a bigger bus doesn't work, or two buses at the same time, we'll have to bite the bullet and move one bus at a time.

View Profile of paranoid123 Send a personal message to paranoid123      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
paranoid123
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-28 6:52 pm   Permalink

Oh yeah, just to throw out other suggestions, how about a tour of Wildwoods, NJ? But that may be out of the New England scope. I understand there are a lot more tiki places in Mass?

View Profile of paranoid123 Send a personal message to paranoid123      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bargoyle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-28 7:05 pm   Permalink

I love the idea of wildwood. I used to vacation down on the shore as a pup all the time. ANd its called the Northeast Tiki Tour so that we wouldnt rule out Lake George, NYC, etc.

Unfortunately, there's not a heck of a lot of "tiki" on the Jersey Shore per se. Some great old googie arcitechture and some super swank old hotels....

It might make an excellent place for a Hotel event, ala Oasis though.

ANd I agree that two buses would be a logistical nightmare. It was hard enough keep ONE on schedule. And then how do we raffle? short wave radios? raffle at the bars? two seperate raffles?

Its all stuff to think about.

We've got plenty of time, but 50 of us took about 4 months of planning & chasing leads & contacting vendors, bars, hotels, etc etc. ( dont get me started on the original hotel it was gonna be at!!) I figure to do it twice is big is gonna take at least another few months!

Anyway, keep the ideas coming. I dont think we can do EVERYTHING everyone has suggested, but its all great inspiration for me.

[ This Message was edited by: Bargoyle 2007-08-28 19:07 ]

View Profile of Bargoyle Send a personal message to Bargoyle  Email Bargoyle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Granite Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-28 10:04 pm   Permalink

Is a pool very important in the North East? Even an indoor one?

No one on the tour struck me as the pool type, of course, I could be totally wrong. I know I'M not the pool type!!

View Profile of The Granite Tiki Send a personal message to The Granite Tiki  Email The Granite Tiki Goto the website of The Granite Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation