[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events Other Events RumFest New York - October 15th
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
RumFest New York - October 15th
Scottes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-29 08:21 am   Permalink

The Polished Palate is sponsoring Rum Fest on Monday, October 15th, at Valbella's restaurant in the Packing District.

Dozens of sugar-cane based spirts - rums, cachacas, agricoles - will be available for tasting.

For more info, please check:
http://www.polishedpalate.com/events/rf2007/

This will be the first time I'm attending this event, but I am truly looking forward to trying as many new rums as possible. And I hope to see some Tiki folks there - we all know how important rum can be at times...

[ This Message was edited by: Scottes 2007-08-29 08:49 ]

View Profile of Scottes Send a personal message to Scottes  Goto the website of Scottes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
velveteenlounge
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-29 08:28 am   Permalink

OOH, thanks for the heads up!

View Profile of velveteenlounge Send a personal message to velveteenlounge  Goto the website of velveteenlounge     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bargoyle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-29 08:44 am   Permalink

Gah!!! that sounds like one hell of a great time. Unfortunately, we're off to York, PA that weekend, and there's no way I could swing it on a monday.

I expect a full report from those of you who DO go!!

View Profile of Bargoyle Send a personal message to Bargoyle  Email Bargoyle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
leisure master
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-31 06:33 am   Permalink

IN.

Absolutely, positively, with complete certainty and without a doubt definitely in.

Because of the educational benefits only, of course.

and for 10 bucks more you get an extra hour of drinking...I mean learning?

oh yeah - VIP, baby.

View Profile of leisure master Send a personal message to leisure master  Email leisure master     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Scottes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-31 06:36 am   Permalink

Excellent Joe!

By the way, your signature reminds me of "when I used to drink professionally."

View Profile of Scottes Send a personal message to Scottes  Goto the website of Scottes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
leisure master
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-31 5:18 pm   Permalink

Scott - thanks for the word on this event - I could not spend a lot of time on the website earlier at work, but checked it out at home and signed up. C'mon, "dozens of cane spirits"?

Like 4 hours of tasting (and education, of course education) for 50 bucks? It only sucks that it's a Monday night for anyone out of town.

If anyone is on the fence about this, I would say sign up. Nicole and I went to a rum seminar at the Natural History Museum last year that was totally sold out with people waiting to get in. And that event only had about 4 tastes. This event is seems way better because it is a true rum tasting event and not more of a book event ("and a Bottle of Rum" - good book by the way).

Anyway, that is my 2 cents after having a couple of home-made mai tais just like mom used to make.

[ This Message was edited by: leisure master 2007-08-31 17:19 ]

View Profile of leisure master Send a personal message to leisure master  Email leisure master     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
velveteenlounge
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-31 5:44 pm   Permalink

I'm really tempted, after a zombie (just like mom used to make, of course!). After payday we're THERE!

View Profile of velveteenlounge Send a personal message to velveteenlounge  Goto the website of velveteenlounge     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Looie Kalua
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-09-01 06:05 am   Permalink

I'm in. It's educational, after all. Far be it from me to refuse an opportunity to become a more cultured, well-rounded member of society. In fact, I think it's my duty to attend. I humbly accept the responsibility.

View Profile of Looie Kalua Send a personal message to Looie Kalua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jpmartdog
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-01 06:15 am   Permalink

Can anyone suggest a reasonable hotel in that basic area of the city. - I would love to go but would want to stay the night. I know reasonable is relative when it comes to NYC.

I want rum!

View Profile of jpmartdog Send a personal message to jpmartdog  Email jpmartdog Goto the website of jpmartdog     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
velveteenlounge
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-01 06:52 am   Permalink

You're welcome to crash at our place if you'd like. We're a bit over an hour outside the city, but the advantage is you get to park free and avoid the bridge tolls. We'll be taking the train home.

Scottes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-01 07:01 am   Permalink

My better, smarter half demanded that I get a room for the night. For anyplace reasonable it was $350. Ouch.

But it does allow me to hit a few liquor stores in the city the next day, and I hope to find numerous rums that I can't find around here.

leisure master
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-01 11:27 am   Permalink

Guys - you can do much better than $300 for a hotel - here are a couple of ideas:

http://www.chelseapinesinn.com/

http://chelseainn.com/

There are many smaller hotels that are pretty close or only a short cab ride from the rum event.

Scott - sorry to lay some bad news on you, but NYC is not really a rum mecca. The liquor stores are generally so small that they usually do not have very extensive selections of any one type of booze. Sometimes I have found some unique stuff, but it is really hit or miss. I get most of my best stuff in MA or from the world wide interweb.

Joe

Scottes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-01 11:32 am   Permalink

There's a couple of stores I've heard about over on the Ministry Of Rum, like Astor Wines, that have a few that I can not get. Right now I'm mostly looking for some agricoles, and Clement is the only one you can get in Mass as far as I know. Depaz, La Favorite and Neisson just don't have distributors in Mass.

And if I can't find them in the city there's a few places I have flagged in Conn along the way home.

KikiTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-01 2:36 pm   Permalink

I won't know if we can attend until I get my work schedule in early October.
Rum rum rum!

View Profile of KikiTiki Send a personal message to KikiTiki  Goto the website of KikiTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MobileTikiBar
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2007-09-01 2:46 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-08-29 08:21, Scottes wrote:
The Polished Palate is sponsoring Rum Fest on Monday, October 15th, at Valbella's restaurant in the Packing District.

Dozens of sugar-cane based spirts - rums, cachacas, agricoles - will be available for tasting.

For more info, please check: http://www.polishedpalate.com/events/rf2007/

This will be the first time I'm attending this event, but I am truly looking forward to trying as many new rums as possible. And I hope to see some Tiki folks there - we all know how important rum can be at times...

[ This Message was edited by: Scottes 2007-08-29 08:49 ]

Sounds like a great time, we really enjoyed the last event we attended. Grab some photos along with the rum!!

-adrian

View Profile of MobileTikiBar Send a personal message to MobileTikiBar  Goto the website of MobileTikiBar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation