FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Luau, Fresno, CA (restaurant)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Luau, Fresno, CA (restaurant)
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-30 6:50 pm   Permalink

Name:Luau
Type:restaurant
Street:1663 Fulton St.
City:Fresno
State:CA
Zip:93721
Phone:559 237 4722

Description:
This place isn't in Tiki Road Trip. I had to use Google Earth's tiki finder add-on. Best $39.99 I ever spent. The building was there; it hadn't been made bulldozed to make a freeway or sunk into a tarpit or leveled by an earthquake. So I called it on the phone--still open! (They close at 8:00 tonight.)

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-30 6:53 pm   Permalink

Actually, I just posted that to post this:
(from the Fresno Bee, 19 June 1964)

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-31 12:25 pm   Permalink

I wonder if the cool modernist sign is still there:

I have a standard black Moai mug from it. The fact that the mug was used at TWO Fresno Tiki places shows that they were both owned by the same Chinese Family:

I believe the Leilani is long gone, though:

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-31 12:33 pm   Permalink

Jungle must see. CleenHat wanna do a roadtrip?

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikicleen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-31 12:38 pm   Permalink

hat's been to both locations about two years ago. he took me by one of them to further inspect the inside. a large bar still remains, but it doesnt look like it is used. its your run-of-the-mill chinese restaurant.

oh, so NOW you want to do a roadtrip jt??! after im back at work and all? figures...

i'll have to dig up those pics we took.

View Profile of tikicleen Send a personal message to tikicleen  Email tikicleen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Fres-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-03 1:48 pm   Permalink

The great sign on The Luau is still there.
Here's a current pic...

As for The Leilani it's no longer The Leilani - definitely "not" worth a road trip. The place used to have a great towering palm tree sign out front, with painted palm fronds and a trunk. Alas, the sign is still there in it's palm tree shape, but it's been painted black. The Last time I was in the Leilani was in the 90's. At the time I told my friend "this place looks like some kind of 'haunted' Chinese palace." Not sure if they changed the decor with the sign change, but not worth a trip! As for the connection between the two restaurants, I think it was discussed in one of the postings here on Tiki Central.

[ This Message was edited by: Fres-tiki 2007-09-03 13:50 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Fres-tiki 2007-09-04 13:32 ]

View Profile of Fres-tiki Send a personal message to Fres-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-02 11:39 am   Permalink

This matchbook was used for both the Luau and the Leilani.

View Profile of Tiki-Kate Send a personal message to Tiki-Kate  Goto the website of Tiki-Kate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-05 1:41 pm   Permalink

Just got this in the mail. I had originally thought that "Chinee Smorgie" was a type-o. Apparently not. Yikes.

View Profile of Tiki-Kate Send a personal message to Tiki-Kate  Goto the website of Tiki-Kate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pa'akiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-06-05 2:40 pm   Permalink

Dam'it Im missing a color!

View Profile of pa'akiki Send a personal message to pa'akiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-14 10:32 am   Permalink

There is also a white one.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikidon
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-07-20 4:37 pm   Permalink

............chinee Smorgie still there

View Profile of tikidon Send a personal message to tikidon      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikidon
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-07-20 5:23 pm   Permalink

http://tikiroom.com/img/1394x4a650154.jpg BBCode Start --> ..................The old Leilani is now the Pho Galaxy with a green paint job on the palm tree sign

View Profile of tikidon Send a personal message to tikidon      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
abstractiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-02 8:35 pm   Permalink

I'm on the trail of another Luau restaurant (closed for some time) that has the same tiki pic and font in advertising. The owner was named Jimmie Dunn. Could this be a franchise or chain restaurant? Does any one have any info or more history on this restaurant?

View Profile of abstractiki Send a personal message to abstractiki  Email abstractiki Goto the website of abstractiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Fres-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-09 12:27 am   Permalink

I just bought one of the mugs used at both the Leilani & Luau restuarants. It jogged my memory - a friend once told me he went to school with a daughter of one of the owners. I did a little digging online and found an obituary for Roy Dunn who died in 2008.
Here's what it says:

"Roy Dunn peacefully passed away surrounded by his loved ones. He was born in Hanford, Ca. where he attended Zhong Wah Hok Haw Chinese School and he graduated from Hanford Union High School.

Roy's parents immigrated from China and opened the Lotus Bowl Restaurant in Hanford where Roy and his ten siblings worked. During World War II, Roy served in the U.S. Army, stationed in the Phillippines. Returning home after the Army, he attended Armstrong College in Berkeley, Ca. where he earned his B.A. degree in Business. In 1951, Roy and his brother Jimmie opened the Leilani and the Luau restaurants in Fresno which the Dunns successfully ran for 35 years. As many people know, Roy was an excellent chef who enjoyed cooking and developing the signature menus at the restaurants. His family will forever remember the delicious meals he cooked for them at home every night."

View Profile of Fres-tiki Send a personal message to Fres-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
abstractiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-10 9:09 pm   Permalink

Here is the phone book ad from the little known Stockton location.

View Profile of abstractiki Send a personal message to abstractiki  Email abstractiki Goto the website of abstractiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation