[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Music Uke is Uks biggest seller
Uke is Uks biggest seller
cheekytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-31 02:04 am   Permalink

This was an article in last weeks Sunday Times
http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/music/article1940449.ece
Could a new generation of Ukelele players on their way?

View Profile of cheekytiki Send a personal message to cheekytiki  Email cheekytiki Goto the website of cheekytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bongo Bungalow
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-31 03:14 am   Permalink

You bet Cheeky. We are currently in the third wave of ukulele popularity. The first got going in 1915 and ran through the '20's, the second in the '50's with George Formby in the UK and Arthur Godfrey on TV in the states, and, of course, the tourist industry developed in Hawaii.

Tiki culture is helping this third wave, certainly, but there's a whole lot of music being played on ukes that is not island related. Jake Shimabukuro's version of "While My Guitar Gently Weeps", which has been all over the internet, is an example.

[ This Message was edited by: Bongo Bungalow 2007-08-31 03:59 ]

View Profile of Bongo Bungalow Send a personal message to Bongo Bungalow  Email Bongo Bungalow Goto the website of Bongo Bungalow     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
virani
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-31 03:23 am   Permalink

ukulele is huge in France, very big, even on tv, and every player don't know anythng about tiki...

View Profile of virani Send a personal message to virani  Goto the website of virani     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bongo Bungalow
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-31 04:08 am   Permalink

I've been told it's big in Japan, also.

There are many manufacturers this time around. While the Chinese are producing low-end ukes, there are quite a few craftsmen in the states turning from guitars to ukuleles.

A plastic backed uke, The Flea, and it's bigger sibling, The Fluke, are good quality ukes and quite popular. They are sold through
http://www.fleamarketmusic.com (No connection to yours truly.)

[ This Message was edited by: Bongo Bungalow 2007-08-31 04:09 ]

View Profile of Bongo Bungalow Send a personal message to Bongo Bungalow  Email Bongo Bungalow Goto the website of Bongo Bungalow     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-31 07:18 am   Permalink

Spongebob.
No kidding.

Uke will be huge when the Spongebob generation hits the buying age for instruments.

That's why I'm writing uke music as fast as I can so I can take all of their money and spend it on my life long ambition... a uke made out of diamonds and gold that never goes out of tune. Yeahhh. That'd be awesome.

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Mayor Of Exotica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-31 1:58 pm   Permalink

Yeah, baby, the Liberace of Uke! How do you play those little frets with those huge rocks on your fingers? Then, there's the cape. How do you keep it from hiding the uke altogether?

If there's anyone who has a solution to these issues, it would be you, my friend!

View Profile of The Mayor Of Exotica Send a personal message to The Mayor Of Exotica  Email The Mayor Of Exotica Goto the website of The Mayor Of Exotica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bongo Bungalow
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-31 2:16 pm   Permalink

Teeth! I play with my teeth! With only four strings, four good teeth is all you need and I've got five!

U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation