FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving OK... who can make a vertical slit drum
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
OK... who can make a vertical slit drum
Blowfish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-31 08:31 am   Permalink

Aloha,

OK, I am in process of learning how to play a vertical split/slit drum... seems as though they just don't carry these things at the local Target. I know they have been brought up before but please show me what you have and what you think needs to go into making a great one (keeping in mind this will be getting played and not just looked at) Also who in the TC Ohana makes them... and what it's going to cost me!

I know I have seen references to G-man's work and he has told me of JohnnyP... if anyone else has some suggestions and insight it would be appreciated. As always pictures are great!

Mahalo!

[ This Message was edited by: blowfish 2007-08-31 18:33 ]

View Profile of Blowfish Send a personal message to Blowfish  Email Blowfish Goto the website of Blowfish     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-31 09:44 am   Permalink

JohnnyP might do be able to do it....here is one he made for a TCer:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=25268&forum=1&hilite=slit%20drum%20hakalugi

-G

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-31 09:53 am   Permalink

How big you want it?

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Blowfish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-31 11:23 am   Permalink

Hi guys, thanks for the replies so far. The 'typical' size I see being used within my halau is aproximately 3 feet long by 6-8 inches in diameter. Definitely something one could easily stick in a trunk, but not so small the sound is weak. I don't think I need anything more than a large tootsie roll shape with the slit cut out, and then I can carve some decor on it myself... then again if any of you have something sitting around you want to get rid of tell me!

Mahalo!

View Profile of Blowfish Send a personal message to Blowfish  Email Blowfish Goto the website of Blowfish     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-31 1:47 pm   Permalink

I can't make a split drum.....but i can make a shoe smell!!!

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Billy the Crud
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-31 3:02 pm   Permalink

Sperry Topsiders with no socks, every day for a month. Smells like death. I can't make a split drum, either but I may like to have one or learn to make them.

http://www.myspace.com/sandiegotikicarvers

"96 tears from 96 eyes".....RIP Lux Interior

View Profile of Billy the Crud Send a personal message to Billy the Crud  Email Billy the Crud Goto the website of Billy the Crud     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2007-08-31 4:02 pm   Permalink

There's way too much P in this thread.

It's slit not split.

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-31 4:26 pm   Permalink

Split/slit. Heres one I made for a back then Mai Kai band member .

[ This Message was edited by: Benzart 2007-08-31 16:28 ]

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Blowfish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-31 4:59 pm   Permalink

That is a sweet "slit" drum... I meant slit and not split, but I work at a startup and my brain is continually overwhelmed....

So what would a little beauty like that go for if I may ask?

edited to add if anyone wants to shoot me a quote:
peter@thehuladance.com

[ This Message was edited by: Blowfish 2007-08-31 16:59 ]

Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-31 5:54 pm   Permalink

One like that would be less than $500.

You would want it standing Vertical? decorations galore, what are you into for tiki/decorations?

Mr. NoNaMe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-31 6:25 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-08-31 13:47, Tipsy McStagger wrote:
I can't make a split drum.....but i can make a shoe smell!!!

I can make a drum split. A couple whacks and presto.

View Profile of Mr. NoNaMe Send a personal message to Mr. NoNaMe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Blowfish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-31 6:34 pm   Permalink

Hey Benz, I will send you a pm to see if we can work something out... not for decoration though this one will be a user! I am learning to drum as part of a Hula Halau.

Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-01 8:39 pm   Permalink

Hey Blowfish. Here are pic's of the log I have. There is a usable 30 inches and he could stand upright if thats how you would want him.. Pm me later

I guess it helps if I actually POST the Pictures huh? Sorry 'bout that.

myspace

[ This Message was edited by: Benzart 2007-09-02 10:28 ]

Blowfish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-01 10:53 pm   Permalink

Wow, hard to imagine how the end result will be, but that is why YOU are one of the masters!

[ This Message was edited by: Blowfish 2007-09-03 09:53 ]

Blowfish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-03 09:55 am   Permalink

I wanted to say to everyone that Benz and I have agreed to the project and he will be making the slit drum for me! I would be thrilled to watch some pics of the work in progress whenever you can Benzart.

Mahalo!

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation