FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving my first palm tiki
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 Next Page )
my first palm tiki
benella
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-15 11:57 pm   Permalink

I'm sorry because I thought I post some comment on that beauty.... but not !
Outstanding piece you got there man. The finishing is simply perfect and the stain's a very good choice because it doesn't hide the grain of the wood that is eally really cool.

Mahalo,

Benjamin.

View Profile of benella Send a personal message to benella  Goto the website of benella     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-16 10:32 am   Permalink

surfin: thanks! Much appreciated. Yeah, that one was fun. I want to do another one!
clarita: yes, the grain came out good, and too think I was originally going to cover it up!
seeks: very much appreciated! The face was what i worked the hardest on.
Mooney: much thanks! The finish was new for me so I was very pleased with the results.
AA: Thanks, got some updates on the spalted log below.
benella: Very glad to see you dropping in. Glad you liked it!

I finished putting a pattern on the headdress of the spalted log and am doing the finish sanding now. Here are some closeups.

View Profile of TheBigT Send a personal message to TheBigT      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-16 9:30 pm   Permalink

Nice nice nice! Love the pattern on the head, cool eyes.
Looks like some of that Birch wood?

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kino
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-09-16 11:23 pm   Permalink

very nice headress !
its gonna look sweet when finished.

View Profile of Kino Send a personal message to Kino      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-06 12:52 pm   Permalink

Seeks, Kino: Thanks a bunch for looking in! Seeks, I think the concensus was that it's hackberry. ??

So, I'm pretty bad at posting regular updates. Here are a couple of photos from over a week ago after the 1st coat of stain on the spalted log. I first started with a wash coat shellac thinned 10 to 1 with denatured alcohol. I didn't really notice how much it raised the grain until I put the first coat of (thinned) stain on.

It came out waaay darker than I wanted to I had to sand it smooth again.... that sucked. And it was pretty nasty looking overall.

View Profile of TheBigT Send a personal message to TheBigT      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-06 12:58 pm   Permalink

So here's the finished pics after re-sanding, staining, finishing. Still darker than I intended it to be, but I just got tired of sanding this dude!

congatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-06 1:16 pm   Permalink

Really nice Job Big T.
This is a great carve from top to bottom, love the posture and the
finish. And the "pocks" in the wood....or whatever you call them...
give it a nice vintage sorta look.
Sweeeeeeeet!

View Profile of congatiki Send a personal message to congatiki  Email congatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
benella
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-06 1:35 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-10-06 12:58, TheBigT wrote:

WOW

what you did with this spaulted wood is simply wonderful and the pix I quoted is beautiful with the stain and the sandings you've done on this part. This is Art with a big A.

B.

View Profile of benella Send a personal message to benella  Goto the website of benella     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikilizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-07 12:22 pm   Permalink

Really sweeeeet stuff. Stain color is perfect, wood looks great and the tiki, as a whole, flows really nicely. Keep up the great carving! What stain did you end up going with?

If you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything

[ This Message was edited by: Tikilizard 2009-10-07 12:25 ]

View Profile of Tikilizard Send a personal message to Tikilizard  Email Tikilizard Goto the website of Tikilizard     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-07 12:48 pm   Permalink

Conga: Hey! Thanks a bunch! I call those pock markes bug holes! LOL I like a few of those. I don't like a ton of bug holes and eaten up wood, like there is to some degree on the back of this guy. I gonna really have to start paying attention to protecting the logs I want to carve in the future.

Benella: as always, great to have some good words from you!

tikilizard: thanks, much appreciated. I believe the first stain was "Early American" (thinned with mineral spirits). I applied a second coat of "Antique Pine". Er, I think that's what colors they were. LOL I sanded with 180 in between bc the shellac "condition" had caused the grain to raise. Then after the sanding and staining, put two coats of shellac (thinned 4 to 1). Then three coats of laquer.

Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-07 7:52 pm   Permalink

Well done!
So is it too early to ask what's next?

Buzzy Out!

View Profile of Bay Park Buzzy Send a personal message to Bay Park Buzzy  Email Bay Park Buzzy Goto the website of Bay Park Buzzy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-07 9:30 pm   Permalink

Just perfect, this is one of the nicest pieces I have seen here..

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-08 06:25 am   Permalink

Hey Buzz! Not to early - I already started another. However, this log is really infected with bugs. I might have to throw it out. I'll post a pic tonight.

Hiltiki, thank you! You're waaaaaaay too kind.

MooneyTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-08 07:56 am   Permalink

Hey BigT!!! Very cool carving my friend, and I love the way you caught the wood when it is Spalting with all the different streaks of wood tone in it. Excellent job!1, Aloha , Mooney

View Profile of MooneyTiki Send a personal message to MooneyTiki  Email MooneyTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-08 7:50 pm   Permalink

Heya Mooney! Thanks so much, I'm really blown away by all the great comments. I think that spalting must occur more often down here in our humidity. A bunch of the logs I have show signs of that.

I just started on a new log Tuesday night. Noticed a bunch of bug holes on the outside, but pretty much all my carves have some of that because these logs have been sitting around for some time.

So I started chopping away on it and the damage just seemed to get worse. I must have chopped out 8 or 10 beetle larvae.

Pretty damn frustrating.... But I did find a way to kill 'em.

I think I'm going to be having a bunch of bonfires this fall...

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation