FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving some new stuff
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 Next Page )
some new stuff
TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-10 08:15 am   Permalink

Some updates... been a while so I thought I'd brush the cobwebs off this thread. I finished #3 sometime back in March according to the dates on the pics. Here's the results.

Oh, I almost forgot... I left some of the original surface on each of the arms to look like a battle scar. The orginal surface was thoroughly worm scoured, so on each arm I carved around one of the worm tracks leaving a litte bit of the inner bark around it.

Right arm...

Left arm...

Well that's it. I managed to finish #4 a couple of weeks ago so more updates coming soon.

View Profile of TheBigT Send a personal message to TheBigT      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
congatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-10 10:00 am   Permalink

Hey Big T...I like this tiki a lot. To me it has a real 50s-60s feel,
toothy without being cartoony, if that makes any sense. At any rate...
nice effort.

View Profile of congatiki Send a personal message to congatiki  Email congatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
el Stingray
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-08-10 11:39 am   Permalink

Hey T.
I really think the finish on your black Tiki is very interesting.
It got quite a luxurious look.
What kind of finishing product did you use? / Or how did you do it?
And what kind of tree type are you working with?

el Stingray

[ This Message was edited by: el Stingray 2008-08-10 11:41 ]

View Profile of el Stingray Send a personal message to el Stingray  Goto the website of el Stingray     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-10 4:53 pm   Permalink

Conga: thanks for the comps! Yep, I hope it isn't too cartoony. That's definitely not the look I was going for. Glad you like it.

el stingray: the black one is Pecan. It's native to Texas and pretty common in the area where I live. I painted it because that's the look that my daughter wanted. It was a coat of brown primer and two coats of black spray paint. Then I used rubbing compound on the egdes to wear away the black paint a little to give it an "old" appearance. Thanks for the comments!

View Profile of TheBigT Send a personal message to TheBigT      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
surfintiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-10 5:10 pm   Permalink

Whoah! He's got stitches in his arm! Shark attack?
Nice, I like the signature on the back, very elaborate!

View Profile of surfintiki Send a personal message to surfintiki  Goto the website of surfintiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-12 08:39 am   Permalink

Surfin: thanks man. Not nearly as elaborate as your stuff, but maybe someday...

Finally got the pics of #4 uploaded. So, I suck at stopping to take pics along the way... so basically I didn't take any until it was ready for finishing (as far as I can find anyway).

This is a birthday present for my nephew. So it's got his name, Mason, carved in the back.

[ This Message was edited by: TheBigT 2008-08-12 08:41 ]

TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-12 08:47 am   Permalink

The finished version of #4. It's sort of a mini-me version of #3.

Halfway stained... kinda strange. Even my pooch is wondering, 'what the heck'?

TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-12 08:49 am   Permalink

And a mini family reunion.

Savage Daddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-12 3:43 pm   Permalink

Oh yeah! I remember that tiki with the gold eyes. They all look great.
My favorite is the new tall one on the right. Keep on carving and update more often.

Savage Daddy
www.savagedaddy.webs.com

View Profile of Savage Daddy Send a personal message to Savage Daddy  Email Savage Daddy Goto the website of Savage Daddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-13 06:31 am   Permalink

Savage: Thanks, man. Will do. Although it's much easier to reply to other threads than it is to go in and update mine.

Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-13 07:12 am   Permalink

Big T, Looking good. I Love the nice smooth style you are developing, Very distinctive and Pleasant to look at. we will always be able to pick the BigT out of the bunch! How Cool is that?

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hodadhank
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-27 12:38 am   Permalink

I dig these too. Keep up the good work bud!

View Profile of hodadhank Send a personal message to hodadhank      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-27 02:52 am   Permalink

Cool Stuff BigT, That Pecan wood is really nice but HARD, was it difficult to carve?
Excellent finish and I Love how you left the worm tracks. NEat idea

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-04 7:46 pm   Permalink

Nice bigT you have some great tikis there very cool.

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Howland
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-04 9:06 pm   Permalink

Very cool vintage poly-pop vibe going on with these cats--I like!

View Profile of Howland Send a personal message to Howland  Email Howland     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation