FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving some new stuff
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 Next Page )
some new stuff
cy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-03-11 11:08 am   Permalink

Nice new work Big T-Really like the aged look of the sweetgum logs.

View Profile of cy Send a personal message to cy  Goto the website of cy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-03-11 11:14 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-03-11 10:41, TheBigT wrote:

Nice floor!

(Good start on them tikis too...)
Buzzy Out!

View Profile of Bay Park Buzzy Send a personal message to Bay Park Buzzy  Email Bay Park Buzzy Goto the website of Bay Park Buzzy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
amate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-03-12 08:25 am   Permalink

Glad to see you out in the shop Big T. It's spring and time to carve!

View Profile of amate Send a personal message to amate  Email amate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-03-12 09:45 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-03-11 11:08, cy wrote:
Nice new work Big T-Really like the aged look of the sweetgum logs.

Thanks! They should look old, been sitting under my carport for 3 or 4 years now!

Quote:

On 2012-03-11 11:14, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:

Nice floor!

(Good start on them tikis too...)
Buzzy Out!

Thanks Buzz. Shoulda figured you would like that floor.

Quote:

On 2012-03-12 08:25, amate wrote:
Glad to see you out in the shop Big T. It's spring and time to carve!

Yep, was rainy here this weekend so had the garage door down to keep out the rain and mosquitoes.

View Profile of TheBigT Send a personal message to TheBigT      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-03-25 3:01 pm   Permalink

Started a 3rd tiki this month. Finished getting him roughed out this weekend.

View Profile of TheBigT Send a personal message to TheBigT      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
McTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-03-25 4:11 pm   Permalink

Boom! 3 nice roughouts.

I love the marq!

I love all marqs!

Mahalo

McTiki

View Profile of McTiki Send a personal message to McTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-03-26 03:41 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-12-31 15:41, TheBigT wrote:
Last tiki of 2011. Just put the clear coat on it today. This is a piece of spalted wood I picked up on the side of the road after hurricane Ike. It wasn't spalted when i got it, but it is now after sitting in my back yard for three years. If anything seems to be my trademark, apparently it's carving mostly rotted wood.

Happy New Year everyone!

Close up of some of the grain.

Nice piece of wood and excellent carving, Man,, I've been away too long, when I come back and see all you kidz grown up and carving like pros then I realize how much I have missed.
That spalting is the fungus which attacks the wood and begins the deterioration process. Every tree has a specific fungus that moves in to that tree only and they all bake different colors and patterns. Once you open up the log and let it dry then put a finish on it the process pretty much dies out leaving the beautiful colors and ppatterns forever. Of course if you wait too long the wood gets too rotten to work. Gotta find that happy medium. All by luck.
Lookin Good.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-03-26 04:57 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-03-25 16:11, McTiki wrote:
Boom! 3 nice roughouts.

I love the marq!

I love all marqs!

Mahalo

McTiki

Thanks McTiki! May have to do a fourth and a fifth before finishing any of these. I had a whole pile of those sweetgum logs and they are going to be unusable pretty soon. Loved the flowers on your latest piece! You nailed the "classic" vibe.

Quote:

On 2012-03-26 03:41, Benzart wrote:
Nice piece of wood and excellent carving, Man,, I've been away too long, when I come back and see all you kidz grown up and carving like pros then I realize how much I have missed.
That spalting is the fungus which attacks the wood and begins the deterioration process. Every tree has a specific fungus that moves in to that tree only and they all bake different colors and patterns. Once you open up the log and let it dry then put a finish on it the process pretty much dies out leaving the beautiful colors and patterns forever. Of course if you wait too long the wood gets too rotten to work. Gotta find that happy medium. All by luck.
Lookin Good.

Benz! Wow! Thanks for stoppin by. Great to see you around and appreciate the kind words. Hope to see some new stuff from you soon!

pjc5150
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-03-26 05:37 am   Permalink

yeah man, those roughies are lookin' good already...

View Profile of pjc5150 Send a personal message to pjc5150      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
amate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-03-26 10:53 am   Permalink

Love that marq!!! That is going to be beautiful. Looks like plenty of timber waiting in the wings as well.

View Profile of amate Send a personal message to amate  Email amate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-03-26 1:20 pm   Permalink

The spalting is almost overwhelming the carving - almost! Looks great keep carving.

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Watango productions
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-03-26 2:58 pm   Permalink

Cant wait to see more pic's of these guys,the natural colouration looks fantastic!

View Profile of Watango productions Send a personal message to Watango productions  Email Watango productions     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-29 10:41 am   Permalink

Finally finished something... I was going like gang busters this year until late March. Then we took a 10-day vacation to Puerto Rico! That pretty much wrecked my carving groove.

But one can't complain about 10 days of this kind of stuff:

Don't know what kind of wood this is. Was a very white wood, heavily spalted now after sitting around my yard for 4 years! Wanted to see the grain so finished it in Tung oil. With a little Minwax wood hardener thrown in.

Close up of some of the grain pattern:

anchorfish
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-05-29 11:07 am   Permalink

Very cool.. I love wild grain patterns in the wood. Your carving shows it off nicely. What did you fill the lower patterns with? Paint or colored resin?

View Profile of anchorfish Send a personal message to anchorfish  Email anchorfish     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-29 11:50 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-05-29 11:07, anchorfish wrote:
Very cool.. I love wild grain patterns in the wood. Your carving shows it off nicely. What did you fill the lower patterns with? Paint or colored resin?

Thanks for asking. I used acrylic for both the eyes and the designs on the bottom. The eyes are dry-brushed on. The bottom designs were cut out with a flexcut carving/whittling knife then painted in (very tediously..).

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation