FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving some new stuff
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 Next Page )
some new stuff
Atomic Mess
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-08 11:41 am   Permalink

thanks fer the bump on my thread BigT, looks like you need a push too? These guys are very stylish, let's see some more!

View Profile of Atomic Mess Send a personal message to Atomic Mess  Goto the website of Atomic Mess     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
amate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-09 09:27 am   Permalink

Better get those guys finished and sealed. We are overdue for another flood.

View Profile of amate Send a personal message to amate  Email amate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-10 8:06 pm   Permalink

Thanks Atomic! Amate: still working on those other two dudes. Not much rain around here lately.

Well, I can't seem to finish anything these days. However, I did complete an entire tiki from start to finish this weekend.

View Profile of TheBigT Send a personal message to TheBigT      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
amate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-11 03:00 am   Permalink

Kool Ku...the beauty of those small ones is they don't occupy a lot of floor space.

View Profile of amate Send a personal message to amate  Email amate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Will carve
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-11 04:20 am   Permalink

one wknd!
it takes me 6 weeks to finish an 8 ft Tiki.
But then again my hands aren't that big.
Sweet.

View Profile of Will carve Send a personal message to Will carve      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-18 06:51 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-06-11 03:00, amate wrote:
Kool Ku...the beauty of those small ones is they don't occupy a lot of floor space.

Thanks Amate. Yeah, I've got room for about a million of these!

Quote:

On 2013-06-11 04:20, Will carve wrote:
one wknd!
it takes me 6 weeks to finish an 8 ft Tiki.
But then again my hands aren't that big.
Sweet.

Will, many thanks. You should've seen the chainsaw I used!

View Profile of TheBigT Send a personal message to TheBigT      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-18 06:54 am   Permalink

I managed to finish another one of these tiny tikis. Now if I could just have these enlarged to five feet, I'd be in business!

cy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-18 07:36 am   Permalink

Nice work Big T!

View Profile of cy Send a personal message to cy  Goto the website of cy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-18 2:15 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-06-18 07:36, cy wrote:
Nice work Big T!

Thanks cy! That detailed fish you did on that 4' cedar tiki is Incredible!

TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-18 2:22 pm   Permalink

Hey All! Some new updates from Tiny Tiki Land!

I recently did a 2nd one of these dudes:

Plus, one new one:

Atomic Mess
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-22 06:13 am   Permalink

I love these little guys!

View Profile of Atomic Mess Send a personal message to Atomic Mess  Goto the website of Atomic Mess     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-08 11:22 am   Permalink

Hi All! Wow, I can't believe it's been almost a year since I posted any carvings! I guess real life must have intervened or something. Although I started a few things since then, I haven't actually finished a thing. Allow me to introduce my first palm tiki (mostly finished)! This is a design by the great Milan Guanko.

I heard chain saws rip roaring one afternoon a few weeks ago and found my neighbor cutting down a palm tree in his back yard to make way for a new deck. The crew saved me a three foot piece of it. Have no idea what kind of palm this is. It's super stringy though and freakin heavy! I was barely able to lift it into the back of my truck.

I was planning to cut on it a little more, but it's now starting to get moldy and rotten. And as it dries, the fiber is coming apart like straw. I don't know if it's particular to this palm variety, or the gulf coast humidity or what. Plus, it got swamped at the base when my garage filled with water during one of our Houston summer soakers last week (4" of rain in one day, 9" over two days). I've been having to put mineral spirits on it to kill the fuzzy mold that's growing.

If it dries successfully and doesn't rot to pieces, I'll stain it and call it done.

This is the skin and end grain. Anyone have any ideas what kind of palm this is?

cy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-08 5:07 pm   Permalink

NICE!

View Profile of cy Send a personal message to cy  Goto the website of cy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-09 06:15 am   Permalink

Being that you are in SE Texas, I would have to guess that it is Sabal Palm. The reason it is so heavy is due to the water that is trapped inside. It will get moldy, but that doesn't mean its rotten. Palm is stringy. Leave it somewhere dry so that it can lose the water inside. Don't be surprised if it becomes very light. Allow it to dry before finishing (I let some of my palm carvings dry for several weeks before finishing them). Don't worry about the mold that from the moisture inside - when the mold dies it may be dry enough to finish. DO NOT seal it till the mold stops growing - the mold will continue to grow even after you seal it.

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pjc5150
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-09 08:23 am   Permalink

bark looks to thin to be a sabal...

looks more fan-palmish to me...

imho... but I am certainly no expert.

View Profile of pjc5150 Send a personal message to pjc5150      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation