FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving bigt carvings
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 Next Page )
bigt carvings
cy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-02-22 08:49 am   Permalink

Nice Big T!

View Profile of cy Send a personal message to cy  Goto the website of cy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tuga's Tikis
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2016-02-22 09:38 am   Permalink

Very Cool

View Profile of Tuga's Tikis Send a personal message to Tuga's Tikis  Email Tuga's Tikis Goto the website of Tuga's Tikis     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Will carve
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-02-23 04:54 am   Permalink

I like that.
Nice detail.
Very creative.

View Profile of Will carve Send a personal message to Will carve      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-02-23 08:05 am   Permalink

Thanks guys.

Will, it was fun. And now I wish I was keeping it! However, I'm sure I will be getting something pretty swell in return.

[ This Message was edited by: TheBigT 2016-02-23 08:06 ]

View Profile of TheBigT Send a personal message to TheBigT      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-02-25 5:28 pm   Permalink

I'll take it

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-03-08 4:35 pm   Permalink

finished this moai and delivered to the new owner over the weekend

View Profile of TheBigT Send a personal message to TheBigT      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-03-11 7:36 pm   Permalink

T- good job

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlohaTexasTikiCo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-03-12 9:23 pm   Permalink

That's some fine work there sir!!

View Profile of AlohaTexasTikiCo Send a personal message to AlohaTexasTikiCo  Email AlohaTexasTikiCo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunset Mike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-03-20 6:37 pm   Permalink

Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh yeah!

On 2016-03-08 16:35, TheBigT wrote:
finished this moai and delivered to the new owner over the weekend

[/quote]

View Profile of Sunset Mike Send a personal message to Sunset Mike  Email Sunset Mike Goto the website of Sunset Mike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlohaTexasTikiCo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-03-26 8:08 pm   Permalink

Nice grain poppin on the chest and chin area. Love it man!

View Profile of AlohaTexasTikiCo Send a personal message to AlohaTexasTikiCo  Email AlohaTexasTikiCo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 14 days ago; 11:23 am   Permalink

Happy New Year everyone! I hope you had a great Christmas holiday and New Year! Time to start chopping on the new year!

I guess it's about time to bring my thread up to speed and catch up with all the stuff from the rest of 2016. Altho I didn't do much carving the remainder of the year, this post might be a long one...

Things were going great guns in April. With the Lei Low Art Sale around the corner, I jumped into high gear getting ready. I had some Moais left over from the last sale and decided to "refresh" those for the next one.

Lopped off the top of this one to give it an angled head.

Re-carved this one a bit and gave him some embellishments and a darker finish.

Carved three new masks out of oak:

Then put the finish on all of them.

I found this Congo-styled African mask at a goodwill and wanted to try giving him a makeover:

Looking pretty good, I think.

Then it broke while cutting out the mouth!

Wanted to do some black highlights (is that an oxymoron??), but ran out of time.

My booth at the sale, Sunday, April 17th. Had a great time, sold some stuff, imbibed some tasty cocktails.

And then that night, with the glow from the incredible cocktails still fading away, it rained. And rained, and rained. When it stopped raining on Monday, my house looked like this. The water line on the garage is the high point where the water was.

We spent the next six months remodeling the house. So, from mid April to early October, I did almost no carving except for one small practice piece. Some of you might remember this same thing happened back in 2012. We decided that two floods was enough fun for us and put the place up for sale the week after we finished remodeling!

Gonna pick up October thru the end of the year in the next post....

[ This Message was edited by: TheBigT 2017-01-03 11:27 ]

TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 14 days ago; 12:28 pm   Permalink

My 2016 retrospective continued...

When the beginning of October came around, the house was 95% remodeled. The Howie's Tiki mug release party and the week-long Bamboo on the Bayou Tiki bash were both coming up in October. It was finally time to blow the dust off the workshop!

Howie's Tiki had commissioned a tiki baseball bat earlier in the year. I started this practice piece in April (pre-flood).

Also, started working on the full-sized bat.

Got this much done before the flood:

Suddenly, with the mug party only a week away, emergency carving time!!

Putting on the finish:

Delivering the bat.

Party time!!

Mark, the owner, installed it on a rotating platform right next to the bar. Thank you Howie's Tiki!!

Next: time to get ready for Bamboo on the Bayou.

Got busy with some new moais:

Just barely got the clear coat on these the evening of the show...

I cut the end off the practice bat started back in April, and turned it into a muddler. I don't have a picture of the whole piece, but it's extra long at about 11" to get to the bottom of taller mugs and glasses.

It seemed like I still didn't have enough stuff. So at the last minute, I cut a small board in half and busted out the dremel to make these two plaques.

My table and drink. Party on again!!

I stayed on the Moai train in November, starting this 5 - 6 footer.

The log was in really bad shape though. It was more and more rotted toward the base, so I abandoned it to start a new one.

Started the next one out of oak.

Also started a couple of masks. These are made out of a pecan log that I cut down the middle.

Well, that was it. Then we moved Thanksgiving week. Ironic?

December was, well, December. Christmas presents, unpacking, family time, hanging with good friends. So long 2016, don't let 2017 hit you in the ass on the way out!!

hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 14 days ago; 6:55 pm   Permalink

Dude- those masks are killer

The house under water pic put a lump in my throat
So sad
Sorry

Glad to hear u are moving to higher ground

All the new stuff looks good

Love da bat

Cheers to u

Jon

bamalamalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 14 days ago; 8:36 pm   Permalink

Wow, way to rebound! Really nice carvings. Best of luck in your new dry home.

View Profile of bamalamalu Send a personal message to bamalamalu  Email bamalamalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 13 days ago; 08:17 am   Permalink

Thanks for the update. New year - new carves!!!

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2016 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation