FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving my first palm tiki - finally dried
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 )
my first palm tiki - finally dried
amate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-09 2:19 pm   Permalink

Very nice Roy!
I had the same thing happen with the fan palm log I had. Constantly infected with fuzzy mildew and it eventually just rotted away. It was 5' tall and 3' wide at the base. The guy used a front end loader to put it on my truck. I can't believe I got that heavy son of a gun out by myself.
Next time I'm down your way I want to check out this guy's work. I forgot his name but he is working out of Gulf Coast Palapas in Baycliff. I've been discussing some possibilities with their newly opened San Marcos outlet. Anyway, it looks like he's got at least one palm in his resume and he my be able to give you some pointers on seasoning the local palms.

View Profile of amate Send a personal message to amate  Email amate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-09 7:56 pm   Permalink

Cy, thanks!! Sorta pales in comparison to your intricate carves...

pjc, aloha, thanks for the tips. You're right it was literally so water logged that water splashed out with each cut I made. I suspect it will rot away because there are several big mushy spots. I tried to cut most of it out. We'll see. I brought it inside and will let it sit a few weeks.

Did I say that was a blast to carve?! So nice to be able to cut out big chunks with each blow of the mallet instead of the little chips I usually make...

[ This Message was edited by: TheBigT 2014-06-09 19:57 ]

View Profile of TheBigT Send a personal message to TheBigT      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-09 7:59 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-06-09 14:19, amate wrote:
Very nice Roy!
I had the same thing happen with the fan palm log I had. Constantly infected with fuzzy mildew and it eventually just rotted away. It was 5' tall and 3' wide at the base. The guy used a front end loader to put it on my truck. I can't believe I got that heavy son of a gun out by myself.
Next time I'm down your way I want to check out this guy's work. I forgot his name but he is working out of Gulf Coast Palapas in Baycliff. I've been discussing some possibilities with their newly opened San Marcos outlet. Anyway, it looks like he's got at least one palm in his resume and he my be able to give you some pointers on seasoning the local palms.

Yo Allen, thanks! Yeah I've seen the ads for this place. Never been. Let me know if you're passing through. I wouldn't mind checking it out.

View Profile of TheBigT Send a personal message to TheBigT      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: Today; 09:52 am   Permalink

The palm finally dried. It's a lot more fragile than I expected! The head is threatening to break off and it shakes a bit like a bobble head. I poured some minwax wood hardener in to stabilize it. It looks about a hundred years old, which is very cool, but a lot of the features are somewhat flatter in appearance than when I carved it. Wish I knew what kind of palm that was. My plans are to avoid it in the future!

hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: Today; 1:07 pm   Permalink

Looks very nice, has a good vintage feel to it.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: Today; 3:03 pm   Permalink

Cool carve BT!

View Profile of cy Send a personal message to cy  Goto the website of cy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation