FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving some new stuff
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 )
some new stuff
TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 25 days ago; 07:40 am   Permalink

Progress.. Two coats of tung oil so far... The grain and spalting of this log are pretty crazy, so I'll try to preserve it. I'm going to give a light coat of shellac after this and I think that will be it for color.

View Profile of TheBigT Send a personal message to TheBigT      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 17 days ago; 05:45 am   Permalink

Finally finished this one. It had been sitting around in my garage for two years!! Ugh. The finish set me back a little. The nose and both sides of the eyes were heavily bug damaged. When I cleaned out all the frass, there was so little left, I regretted doing it. The bridge of the nose had a giant gap down the middle.

Luckily I was able to patch it and match some of the spalting with some acrylic paint.

A close up of some of the crazy grain.

View Profile of TheBigT Send a personal message to TheBigT      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 17 days ago; 07:58 am   Permalink

That was definitely worth saving Big T . The grain, paint, and carve look great!

View Profile of cy Send a personal message to cy  Goto the website of cy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
congatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 17 days ago; 08:11 am   Permalink

Nice carve...and nice save on repairing the bad spots.
Good looking tiki...and a bit different that we normally see.

View Profile of congatiki Send a personal message to congatiki  Email congatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Fastbackadam
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 16 days ago; 02:07 am   Permalink

There is some great work in this thread! Those little guys and the last few in this thread are nice! Did your guanco hold up? And is that minwax wood hardener thick like a paste? Or a glue or putty? Keep it up!

View Profile of Fastbackadam Send a personal message to Fastbackadam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 16 days ago; 05:11 am   Permalink

Thanks for the comments guys. We gonna something new from Wisconsin soon Conga?

Adam: the palm tiki is still standing. Minwax wood hardener is very thin, almost like water. I'll bet the epoxy resin is stronger. I used the wood hardener because i poured it into some areas, like the neck, where i wanted it to soak in deep. Seems to have worked, but the carving itself is still fairly fragile. I'll bet it wouldn't last long at all outside.

Fastbackadam
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 16 days ago; 09:09 am   Permalink

I almost bought the wood hardener, but wasn't sure if it was thin or thick, and saw the epoxy resin was thin so I went with that. I like how everyone says carve deeper, but with palm we can't carve deep cuz then they fall apart.. Maybe if we had good tall mature trees like bill said maybe they wouldn't fall apart as bad.. Anyway you do good work, I hope to see more of it, palm or not. I also like that you seem to sculpt the whole thing with chisels.

View Profile of Fastbackadam Send a personal message to Fastbackadam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 16 days ago; 09:29 am   Permalink

Way kool

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 11 days ago; 7:31 pm   Permalink

Thanks hang10, fastback.

Fastback, yep I carve the whole thing with hand tools. I suck with the chainsaw. However, I do bust out tha angle grinder here and there if I need to grind something off pretty quick. That's about it.

Starting to put the finish on this one. Has a light coat of Golden Pecan and a coat of thinned shellac so far...

I'm aiming for a little darker, so going to keep working on him.

[ This Message was edited by: TheBigT 2014-10-20 19:34 ]

Will carve
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 10 days ago; 03:42 am   Permalink

I like that guy.
Plenty nice details.

View Profile of Will carve Send a personal message to Will carve      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
amate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 10 days ago; 4:44 pm   Permalink

You've been producing some really great carves lately. I particularly like that last one!!!

View Profile of amate Send a personal message to amate  Email amate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Fastbackadam
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 9 days ago; 01:25 am   Permalink

I really like the mouth on that last one.... Maybe it's because he isn't screaming

hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 9 days ago; 07:08 am   Permalink

Your last two pieces are very nice.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation