FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Collecting Tiki » » Can anyone tell me something about this Tiki?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Can anyone tell me something about this Tiki?
Robin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-06 10:16 am   Permalink

Hi, I posted this on the wrong forum...sorry. Hopefully someone out there will be able to help me with some information on this guy.

This guys hanging in a friends garage. Here's what he knows about it. His great grandmother was Chamarro, a native of Guam. His uncle got it from his grandmother who had emigrated to the U.S. He knows that his uncle had it for a long time. Then it was passed on to him.
He doesn't know if it came from Guam, or if it was acquired in the U.S. All he knows is that it's been around in the family awhile....since he was a kid...he's now in his mid-fifties. Does anyone know anthing about this guy?

He thinks it's Koa, but is not sure. I would love to give him some more info on this. Thanks in advance for
information you might have.

Robin

[ This Message was edited by: Robin 2007-09-06 10:19 ]

View Profile of Robin Send a personal message to Robin  Email Robin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
greentikipat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-06 7:03 pm   Permalink

real nice piece, now i'm curious. i'll be checking back to see.

View Profile of greentikipat Send a personal message to greentikipat  Email greentikipat Goto the website of greentikipat     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-09-06 7:16 pm   Permalink

The Tropical Bistro has one like it.
It came from the Kahiki in Columbus.
I will get a picture and then we can see.
From what I remember they are a match.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-07 07:06 am   Permalink

hi robin,

our local sources suggest the origin of this type of mask is mexico.

ref:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=16404&forum=5

and

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=20727&forum=5

ˇarriba!

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-09-07 07:45 am   Permalink

Mr Sapp did say they went to Mexico to get
stuff for the Kahiki.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-07 09:13 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-09-07 07:45, tikiskip wrote:
Mr Sapp did say they went to Mexico to get
stuff for the Kahiki.

Well I'll be darned! Thanks so much for your information. I'm not sure this is what my friend would like to hear. He likes thinking it's connected to his lineage somehow. I'll ask him if he has any links to Ohio, and or Mexico.

tikispip,if you get a chance, and find a picture of the similar piece you mentioned, could you post it please? I could pass it along to him. He loves this guy, and filling in some gaps in the real story would be nice for him.

Thanks for those links, you guys are great.

R.

View Profile of Robin Send a personal message to Robin  Email Robin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
timidtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-07 09:28 am   Permalink

Frankly, Robin, I don't see much in common between your Tiki and those pictured in the links to Mexico. Your Tiki appears to be a much better carving and the wood really does look like high quality koa. I think this need to be checked out further. Good luck . . . I'll keep watching!

View Profile of timidtiki Send a personal message to timidtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-07 09:42 am   Permalink

i have a version of that mask which is slightly larger and different in style, closer to robin's. if it is not from mexico i would be glad to know as well.

however without any other graphic evidence of alternate origins i'm gonna stick with mexico for now, based on the pattern of the eyes and the mouth.

i'll try to post pix of the one described above soon.

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-08 09:38 am   Permalink

mai masq

compare:

[ This Message was edited by: Johnny Dollar 2007-09-08 09:39 ]

Sneakytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-09 10:17 pm   Permalink

Despite the disappointment in the "Guamanian" mask being Mexican made I think it is a killer mask and have unsuccessfully bid on some similar ones on ebay. It is indeed of a higher quality than many masks from Mexico and the style is somewhat different. I have a theory that although the carvers were the same carvers as those of the diablo masks, that these masks WERE inspired by tiki from the S. Pac. just as American Pop tiki souvenirs were.

Just to add another nail in the coffin of the idea that this is a legitimate traditional islander mask, I have studied traditional S. Pacific and other non-Western Indigenous material cultures fairly extensively and can assure you that there is NO tradition of mask making in any Polynesian or Micronesian cultural group ( excluding one island in Micronesia). Melanesian yes, Indonesian yes. Guam has NO mask making tradition. All "tiki" masks are therefore "pop" tiki and not traditional forms.

PS
To clarify: Guam is considered a part of the Micronesian cultural group.

ST

[ This Message was edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-09-09 22:33 ]

View Profile of Sneakytiki Send a personal message to Sneakytiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sneakytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-09 10:40 pm   Permalink

Here's a link to a contemporary diablo mask, notice the carving style and overall similarity..
http://cgi.ebay.com/Hand-carved-mexican-wood-mask-tribal_W0QQitemZ290157968453QQihZ019QQcategoryZ35806QQcmdZViewItem

View Profile of Sneakytiki Send a personal message to Sneakytiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-10 09:20 am   Permalink

Thank you all for posting this information. I don't think he'll be really disappointed as he does love this mask. I'll see if I can get him to confirm any stamping or anything. I don't think he's really looked for anything on it, as it already had a story. I'll let you know what he says. Thanks again for taking the time to help with this investigation.

Robin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-24 09:16 am   Permalink

Well, finally heard from my friend. He spoke with his mother, and she remembers it coming from Guatemala about forty or so years ago when her sister made a trip there. She says it's a rain god, but doesn't remember the name.

Thanks for all the input. Mystery solved.

Robin

Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-24 1:09 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-09-24 09:16, Robin wrote:
He spoke with his mother, and she remembers it coming from Guatemala about forty or so years ago when her sister made a trip there. She says it's a rain god, but doesn't remember the name.
Mystery solved.

[ This Message was edited by: filslash 2008-09-20 15:50 ]

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2007-09-24 1:21 pm   Permalink

I usually find one or two of these masks each year garage-saling, so I'm fairly convinced that they were tourist-goods from the 1960s & 1970s. They're easy to spot because of the slots cut above the eyes. Often the head has a curve to it. One fellow said that he bought his in Korea, but I doubt that now, because more often I hear they're from Central America (Guatemala, Mexico, etc.)

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation