FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Collecting Tiki » » beautiful Witco chair!
beautiful Witco chair!
GECKO
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-02-03 09:11 am   Permalink

Is their any story behind this great lookin' chair on ebay?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=29460&item=2156724181&rd=1

View Profile of GECKO Send a personal message to GECKO  Email GECKO Goto the website of GECKO     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Diablo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-02-03 09:51 am   Permalink

Hey cuz. This chair is really cool, I have actually sat in it. The description is right on too. The folks selling it were nice also.

View Profile of Tiki Diablo Send a personal message to Tiki Diablo  Email Tiki Diablo Goto the website of Tiki Diablo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GECKO
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-02-03 11:34 am   Permalink

Chiki, how far is the shop from Oceanside or Temecula?

Just wen I thought I seen it all from witco...Boom! as John Madden would say.
Sumting li'dat is fo sho on the holy grail list! he created all kinds of stuff!!

Now this chair is gettin me inpatient[sp?] wit da Witco book braddah Sven! No estimated time frame? you killin me!

View Profile of GECKO Send a personal message to GECKO  Email GECKO Goto the website of GECKO     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
waikiki tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-02-03 2:16 pm   Permalink

Personally I think this chair is ugly as sin! I like a lot of Witco stuff, but some pushes the line of being too tacky (and in this case, expensive!!) It will be interesting to see how high it goes considering it still has over 3 days left.

View Profile of waikiki tiki Send a personal message to waikiki tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Doctor Z
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-02-03 5:15 pm   Permalink

I was at the Starlight Room a few weeks ago and I checked the chair out, too! It's quite impressive (and EXTREMELY heavy!) You can't really tell from the pix all that well, but the back is "V"-shaped - not flat or curved. That's why the upholstery up the back is only about 4 inches wide. When I sat in it, I noticed it creates a weird effect: when you talk, your voice actually echoes/reverbs off of the sides of the chair - kinda trippy... They were asking $300 for it when I was there, but the "Throne" is not really to my liking either. However, I am curious to see what it'll end up going for...

BTW - Jason & Catherine run a great place - lots o' vintage mugs n'stuff at NON eBay prices!
Ask for it by name!

View Profile of Doctor Z Send a personal message to Doctor Z  Email Doctor Z     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GECKO
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-02-03 5:40 pm   Permalink

Being to tacky is what makes this a master piece in my eyes! To each is own ya! I have seen stuff I don't like too.

I guess I look at it da way I do cuz I sit around a lot wondering what I can do different to out do myself with my own art so, I know Mr.WH
was sitting in his shop 30-40 years ago brainstorming and came out with dis crazy a$$ shhhhh!

I think the man was very creative and that's why his works are being repro by his grandson inlaw who does a great job, not to mention da kine...Bosko, even a few of my pieces. In order to make it in da art world you gotta have some imagination[sp?] no matter how crazy da idea ya! if da artist likes it, den do um!

Sum peopo gon like em and sum not. no worries! I raise my tiki mug up to dis chair as a work of art!

SugarCaddyDaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-02-03 6:02 pm   Permalink

Doctor Z saw this WITCO item in a store and DIDN'T share the knowledge?!?!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGHHHHH!

Oh what has become of this family?

SadCaddyDaddy

View Profile of SugarCaddyDaddy Send a personal message to SugarCaddyDaddy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-02-03 7:17 pm   Permalink

Witco transcends the terms ugly and beautiful.....to become "unique"!

Soon it will be a term in it's own right, like if you see an item of particularily whacky and stylistically doubtful design:
"Well, I think it's zazz!"
"Oh, I don't know, it's a little too witco for me!"
"Yeah, and my wife will say it's klez..."

I am gonna see if I can photgraph this thingy, I have it in a catalog, but even nicer, I have Bill's original sketch for it, so it will definitely be in the book...

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Diablo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-02-04 08:50 am   Permalink

Gecko, this place is about an hour+ from Oceanside. I believe they have a website.

View Profile of Tiki Diablo Send a personal message to Tiki Diablo  Email Tiki Diablo Goto the website of Tiki Diablo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ahilava
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-02-05 5:46 pm   Permalink

Shag must have designed it, it's got his name in the title.

View Profile of ahilava Send a personal message to ahilava      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-15 07:22 am   Permalink

shakespeare likes witco

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Haole'akamai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-15 09:17 am   Permalink

Where the heck is that?!

View Profile of Haole'akamai Send a personal message to Haole'akamai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-15 10:21 am   Permalink

the renaissance festival in crownsville, maryland

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKIBOSKO
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-15 7:12 pm   Permalink

Shakespeare has good taste!

View Profile of TIKIBOSKO Send a personal message to TIKIBOSKO  Goto the website of TIKIBOSKO     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-15 9:19 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-11-15 19:12, TIKIBOSKO wrote:
Shakespeare has good taste!

He's got a Ming vase, tomato paste, but one thing that he'll have to face...and that's good taste.

View Profile of Slacks Ferret Send a personal message to Slacks Ferret  Email Slacks Ferret     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation