FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events TIKI MODERN and the Wild World of Witco BOOK LAUNCH September 13th
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
TIKI MODERN and the Wild World of Witco BOOK LAUNCH September 13th
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-07 11:00 am   Permalink

Here is the official announcement:

BIGGER than the Book of Tiki! (...and ten dollars more, too )
SEVEN HUNDRED never before seen images! (that's 100 more than the Book of Tiki!...well, about 5 of them actually were in the BOT).
CLOTH cover! The NEW TESTAMENT of Tiki!
Completely NEW ridiculous theories about the meaning of Tiki culture that nobody else would have conjured up!

The MARTINI KINGS will provide their exotic vibes, and TRADER VIC'S is on board, though at press time it was still unclear if a catering license (for liquor!) was in place. If not, you will just have to get intoxicated by the horn of plenty of rare eye candy in my book, and selected WITCO pieces that will be on display It's OK to just get a book and get the hell outta there, too,

P.S.: Parking in the Farmer's Market lot will be easiest, the store is in the clock tower between the parking lot and the GROVE pedestrian zone. If the lot is full, you may choose to park in the Grove garage, BUT, please be advised that the Taschen store cannot validate for the Grove parking, only for the Farmer's Market lot.

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2007-09-07 11:30 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-07 12:54 pm   Permalink

AAAAAAAAAH! Good news, Trader Vic's can do alcohol! And they will provide one of the Chinese mixologists! Now don't start requesting by name, that's asking too much! And don't show up too early, while we're still setting up, just to squirrel some free hooch, that's impolite!

There is another problem. TIKI MODERN is a whopper. To look at it is a two-handed affair. You can't hold your Mai Tai AND look at it at the same time! Dilemma. Solution: Bring your wife, she can alternate holding the book or holding the glass for you. Or even better, she can hold the book open and flip the pages so you can view it WHILE you sip your Mai Tai!

This only works though if your wife is not a Tikiphile, and does not like Mai Tais, or SHE will look at the book, or drink the Mai Tai.

On the other hand, if you decide to just fore-go the book offer, so you have your hands free to drink, I totally sympathize with that.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
inkylouise
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2007-09-07 3:33 pm   Permalink

this looks like great fun! too bad it's during the week, or Smiley and I would come out!

View Profile of inkylouise Send a personal message to inkylouise      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-07 6:56 pm   Permalink

OK, I had to bump this up to the top now so it can compete with THE OTHER TWO posts about the event. Notice that I, in my usual humble manner, did not use my own name in the announcement. But it is ME. The author. I wrote this. The thread above. Because I can and I wanted to.... I better stop now.

RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-07 8:42 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-09-07 18:56, bigbrotiki wrote:
OK, I had to bump this up to the top now so it can compete with THE OTHER TWO posts about the event. Notice that I, in my usual humble manner, did not use my own name in the announcement. But it is ME. The author. I wrote this. The thread above. Because I can and I wanted to.... I better stop now.

Prove it!

Double Dog Dare!!!!

Bamboo Ben
Tiki Bars I've designed/built. TikiCat, Royal Hawaiian, Kona Club, Frankie's Tiki Room, Pacific Seas, Don the Beachcomber,Forbidden Island, Kon Tiki Tucson, Tiki No,etc....

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-09-07 11:28 pm   Permalink

Damnitall...wish I was in town to attend. I love the Martini Kings....and drinks via TV....way too kewl. Got my book on order though....so looking forward to it. Have fun at the signing all you lucky bast*rds!!!!

Hope someone takes pictures...and posts posts posts.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-10 10:54 am   Permalink

Bump, this Thurs. folks.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Diablo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-11 08:22 am   Permalink

I'm there! I plan on a whole new wave of artistic inspiration for myself!!! Can't wait!!!

View Profile of Tiki Diablo Send a personal message to Tiki Diablo  Email Tiki Diablo Goto the website of Tiki Diablo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
suburbanpagan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-12 09:39 am   Permalink

I'm with Diablo! This is going to be the best piece of artistic inspiration to come along in a while!

View Profile of suburbanpagan Send a personal message to suburbanpagan  Email suburbanpagan Goto the website of suburbanpagan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kick_the_reverb
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-12 1:02 pm   Permalink

If only this was on a weekend...have fun y'all.
Ran

View Profile of kick_the_reverb Send a personal message to kick_the_reverb  Email kick_the_reverb Goto the website of kick_the_reverb     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
atomikitty
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-12 3:05 pm   Permalink

I'm SO there!

This book is amazing folks-page after page of tiki eye candy and great historical insight!

Finally a tiki event stumbling distance from the house!

Congrats Sven - See you Thursday!

View Profile of atomikitty Send a personal message to atomikitty  Email atomikitty Goto the website of atomikitty     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-12 3:16 pm   Permalink

So y'all can spend some more money (and I can make some), I am bringing twenty TIKI MODERN European Book Tour posters to sell. For 40 bucks, in cash, to me (not the store), you can own one of these beautiful rich prints on thick art paper, signed and numbered by Dr. Alderete:

The whole shipment (50 of 200) got bumped a little on the upper right corner, so there is a slight crease there, but that'll smoothe out in framing or hanging.

For the discriminating collector who is unable to drop in tomorrow I listed one on e-bay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180159047679&ssPageName=ADME:L:LCA:US:1123

ravenne
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-12 6:48 pm   Permalink

*bump*

Whoa! sweet! Modern tiki book release!

Hmm! I'll have to see if I can swing by, this is like round the corner for me!

View Profile of ravenne Send a personal message to ravenne      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-13 08:20 am   Permalink

I'll be there with a friend, see you all there.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-13 10:26 am   Permalink

Be there

or

Be Square!!!

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation