FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events TIKI MODERN and the Wild World of Witco BOOK LAUNCH September 13th
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
TIKI MODERN and the Wild World of Witco BOOK LAUNCH September 13th
Joe Banks
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-14 09:58 am   Permalink

Thanks Sven! A fantastic book and a lovely evening!

View Profile of Joe Banks Send a personal message to Joe Banks  Email Joe Banks Goto the website of Joe Banks     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
smgleason47
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-14 09:58 am   Permalink

Congratulations Sven on another great accomplishment. It was a fantastic evening and my son Aidan LOVED the Martini Kings. I thought the Mai-Tais were great and my Sven Kirsten Kon-ID mug got a lot of attention (better than the 4 oz cups provided fo sure!) Sven on his throne was quite a sight - all hail the King of Tiki!

View Profile of smgleason47 Send a personal message to smgleason47  Email smgleason47     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CaliTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-09-14 10:08 am   Permalink

Herzlichsten Dank Sven fur einen wunderschonnen abend! Dien neues Buch ist fantastisch! Hoffentlich konnen wir noch schnell mal essen beim Lowenbrau Keller. Vielle Liebe Grusse von Michaela und Christel

King of Tiki on his throne

Bumped into my pal Becky (DJ luxuriamusic.com)

So nice to finally meet my sweet MySpace penpal Tony

The Usual Suspects

Thanks Trader Vic's for the yummy Mai Tai's!

My Mom Christel enjoying the exotic sounds of The Martini Kings

I couldn't resist a Trolley ride to the the fab shopes of The Grove Nordstrom, Anthropolgie, Michael Kors, etc.

Sven Kirsten, Tiki Modern jumbo book, Taschen, Witco Art, The Martini Kings, Erochica Bamboo, Trolley Ride, Tiki Tribe people watching, Farmers Market Shops, dinner at Marmelade = A Darned Good Time!

[ This Message was edited by: CaliTiki 2007-09-14 10:47 ]

View Profile of CaliTiki Send a personal message to CaliTiki  Email CaliTiki Goto the website of CaliTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-14 1:33 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-09-14 00:25, Jah Jim wrote:
I too had a great time at the book signing at Farmer's Market.
Jah Jim

The book at home. Sharp cover design, isn't it?

Sven signing one of the many copies of his new book sold on this balmy California evening.

I bet that you are " The greatest Witco Maniac that Sven knows"

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-14 2:07 pm   Permalink

I have no problem with Jimbo selling a signed copy, the money he makes on it will flow back into supporting a classic Tiki bar called the Tiki Ti!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JenTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-14 3:08 pm   Permalink

Does the Taschen store have a stash of signed books for purchase for those of us who didn't make it last night?

View Profile of JenTiki Send a personal message to JenTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jah Jim
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-09-14 3:35 pm   Permalink

Taschen's number is 323-931-1168. I understand they had Sven sign a dozen copies for their New York store, but beyond that I don't know. They did say they sold over 100 copies of the book last night and they were very pleased at the turnout and vibe of the entire evening. Jah bless, Jah Jim

View Profile of Jah Jim Send a personal message to Jah Jim  Email Jah Jim     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JenTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-14 6:43 pm   Permalink

Mahalo for your post Jah Jim. I just called and unfortunately, they just shipped all the signed ones to New York, so I guess I'll have to order it online.

View Profile of JenTiki Send a personal message to JenTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKI DAVID
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-15 03:55 am   Permalink

love that chair! does anyone know how many of those were produced? or any Witco pieces for that matter?

[ This Message was edited by: TIKI DAVID 2007-09-15 03:57 ]

View Profile of TIKI DAVID Send a personal message to TIKI DAVID  Email TIKI DAVID     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-15 08:23 am   Permalink

I doubt that even Bill Westenhaver would remember numbers. I have one catalog from 1964 where the items were marked "canceled" depending on the numbers sold, which are penciled in besides the pieces. But that was not even for the full year, and so many items were produced every year, into the 70s.

I am not really that interested in detailed collector's info about numbers and pricing, it's about the art for me.

I was, however, thrilled to find out that, after I purchased the humongous bar shown on page 238 of TIKI MODERN, only 15 of those were ever made.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKI DAVID
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-15 10:26 am   Permalink

I think it IS about numbers,fowllowed by priceing.if there were hunderds of thousands of these out there i do not think anyone would think they are all that 'pretty'. TD

View Profile of TIKI DAVID Send a personal message to TIKI DAVID  Email TIKI DAVID     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-15 10:55 am   Permalink

The mind works in mysterious ways... They are NOT "pretty", they are ugly, they are weird, ...they are coooool!

Hiphipahula
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-09-15 11:30 am   Permalink

I got my copy of Tiki Modern & a poster, the book is a blast & can't put it down. I wish I had that Witco map hanging behind the throne, it also graces the inside cover of the book wow! Anywho, we all had a great time, The Martini Kings were awesome & it was fun to see Crazy Al get up there & play his Coconuts & do some actually really good bird calls to the exotica tunes. We picked up some good eats at the Farmer's Market food court too. See everyone soon I hope.. get the book now, you know how tough it is to get a Book of Tiki...

CHECK OUT THE BOWL ON PAGE 64. YOWZER!!

View Profile of Hiphipahula Send a personal message to Hiphipahula  Email Hiphipahula Goto the website of Hiphipahula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2007-09-17 7:48 pm   Permalink

I didn't make it to the signing, but at least I got the poster. Thanks for putting it on ebay Sven.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-17 8:23 pm   Permalink

Thank YOU. This will be the last for a while, I will be flying to Germany for two weeks tomorrow to start the tour there.

The inscribed and signed 8-ball ordered TIKI MODERNs are going out tomorrow, that offer is now closed, but they will have some pre-signed copies for sale in the store in Burbank from tomorrow on.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation